[comp.org.usenix] Software data on Apollo space program

domo@tsa.co.uk (Dominic Dunlop) (07/23/90)

[Note Followup-To: above.  Just a hint.]

In article Mike <9778@hubcap.clemson.edu> (System Janitor) writes:
>Who has last winter's USENIX procedings? A NASA bigwig was the keynote
>speaker there, and he had lots to say on the subject [of the software used
>on the Apollo space program].

Too true.  Entertaining, as well, although the material gave the impression
of having been trotted out in front of many audiences before it reached the
assembled hackers of USENIX.  The speaker was Jim Tomayko, Software
Engineering Institute, CMU.  Sadly, one of the things that makes keynotes
different from the rest of a conference is that they don't get written up
in the proceedings, so there's no point in asking.  And I'm pretty sure
that USENIX (unlike, say, UniForum) doesn't publish conference tapes, so
you can't order up a cassette and listen to it as you drive to the spaceport
(or whatever).
--
Dominic Dunlop

mo@messy.bellcore.com (Michael O'Dell) (07/24/90)

Sorry to disappoint you Dominic, but USENIX was the first group to make
available audio cassettes of an ENTIRE meeting (order any or all of
them), and we did a video tape of the Keynote and the music talks at
Atlanta.  Guess what?  Nobody bought them.  So, given the pretty
extreme cost of producing them, we opted to spend the money doing
other things.

	-Mike O'Dell
	 Program Chairman for Atlanta 1986

chdana@wildcat (Charles Dana) (07/25/90)

Dominic Dunlop writes:

>In article Mike <9778@hubcap.clemson.edu> (System Janitor) writes:
>>Who has last winter's USENIX procedings? A NASA bigwig was the keynote
>>speaker there, and he had lots to say on the subject [of the software used
>>on the Apollo space program].
>
>Too true.  Entertaining, as well, although the material gave the impression
>of having been trotted out in front of many audiences before it reached the
>assembled hackers of USENIX.  The speaker was Jim Tomayko, Software
>Engineering Institute, CMU.

Find your nearest ACM chapter (normal or student) and talk them into
inviting Tomayko to talk.  He is a ACM National Lecturer (meaning he has
volunteered to give talks to ACM chapters and Special Interest Groups,
with ACM helping to support the travel expenses).  He talked here at Cal
Poly a couple of years ago and was excellent.  He has several prepared
talks that are given to the chapters and I suspect that the keynote
address was adapted from one of those.

--
Charles Dana				        |  chdana@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU
Computer Science Department			|	    or

rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) (07/29/90)

In <25638@bellcore.bellcore.com> mo@messy.UUCP (Michael O'Dell) writes:
> USENIX was the first group to make
>available audio cassettes of an ENTIRE meeting (order any or all of
>them), and we did a video tape of the Keynote and the music talks at
>Atlanta.  Guess what?  Nobody bought them.

I bought the videos, they're sitting on a shelf in my office right now.

The quality sucked.

	/r$
--
Please send comp.sources.unix-related mail to rsalz@uunet.uu.net.
Use a domain-based address or give alternate paths, or you may lose out.