[comp.org.usenix] Obtaining the UKUUG Conference Proceedings

jim@cs.strath.ac.uk (Jim Reid) (07/23/90)

There have been an enormous number of queries about obtaining copies of
the proceedings for the recent UKUUG conference in London. Copies are
available through the UKUUG secretariat. The copies cost 50 pounds,
excluding post and packing. Ordering details are given below.

[1] By Post:
	UKUUG Secretariat,
	Owles Hall,
	Owles Lane,
	Buntingford,
	Herts.,
	SG9 9PL,
	UK.

[2] By Email:
	ukuug@ukc.ac.uk

	Please mark any mail for the attention of Bill Barrett. [This
	address is an alias for the secretariat AND the UKUUG board.
	Marking your mail enables it to be filtered from other UKUUG
	email.] Your email must include a postal address so that Bill
	can send you an order form.

[3] By Telephone:
	(+44) 763 73039

	Telephone orders using a credit card (Visa, Access, Mastercard
	and Eurocard) are welcomed. This number can also be used to get
	an order form.

[4] By Fax:

	Completed order forms can be faxed to (+44) 763 73255.

Please note that there are a limited number of spare copies available
and that these are being sold on a first-come, first-served basis.
There are no plans to re-print the proceedings, though this may happen
if there is sufficient demand for copies.

richard@aiai.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin) (07/24/90)

In article <4346@baird.cs.strath.ac.uk> jim@cs.strath.ac.uk (Jim Reid) writes:
>There have been an enormous number of queries about obtaining copies of
>the proceedings for the recent UKUUG conference in London. Copies are
>available through the UKUUG secretariat. The copies cost 50 pounds,
>excluding post and packing. Ordering details are given below.

Like everything else associated with this conference, the price of the
proceedings is ridiculous (50 pounds ~= $80).  The comparably-sized
proceedings of the ACM Lisp conference a couple of weeks earlier cost
$26 to non-members.  Similar comments apply to the cost of the
conference itself, and the cost of the "banquet".

Technically, the conference was very good.  But where is all the money
going?

-- Richard

--
Richard Tobin,                       JANET: R.Tobin@uk.ac.ed
AI Applications Institute,           ARPA:  R.Tobin%uk.ac.ed@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk

andy@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Andy Clews) (07/24/90)

From article <3060@skye.ed.ac.uk>, by richard@aiai.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin):
> Like everything else associated with this conference, the price of the
> proceedings is ridiculous (50 pounds ~= $80). [...]
> Technically, the conference was very good.  But where is all the money
> going?

Presumably to pay for (a) the hire of the Lancaster Gate Hotel for the
week, (b) the hire of Tower Bridge for the "banquet" (actually a rather
cramped buffet with hardly anywhere to sit), (c) the production costs of
the various freebies (EUUG umbrella, Instruction Set T-shirt etc.) and
maybe (d) fees for the distinguished speakers (Ritchie, Kernighan et al)?

Previous UKUUGs have been held at Universities at much lower cost and
have been just as informative (if perhaps less impressive). Why the
sudden "upmarket" leap, I wonder. I too agree that 50 quid for a copy of
the proceedings is preposterous. It was wonderful to see Ritchie et al,
but I question the necessity of the silly freebies and the hire of Tower
Bridge, even if it was a bit of fun.

--
Andy Clews, Computing Service, Univ. of Sussex, Brighton BN1 9QN, England
JANET: andy@syma.sussex.ac.uk   BITNET: andy%syma.sussex.ac.uk@uk.ac

tjc@castle.ed.ac.uk (A J Cunningham) (07/24/90)

In article <3060@skye.ed.ac.uk> richard@aiai.UUCP (Richard Tobin) writes:

>Like everything else associated with this conference, the price of the
>proceedings is ridiculous (50 pounds ~= $80).  The comparably-sized
>proceedings of the ACM Lisp conference a couple of weeks earlier cost
>$26 to non-members.  Similar comments apply to the cost of the
>conference itself, and the cost of the "banquet".

	Richard, I don't think this is an entirly fair comparison. The
ACM is an incredibly wealthy organisation and can probably afford to
sponsor both the event and the publication of proceedings.  I must agree
with you that fifty quid is a bit steep.

	What they should is allow access to the TeX/nroff sources for
the proceedings and allow people to run off the parts that interest
them. (If the proceedings are not in machine readable form then I throw
my hands in the air and give up)

	Tony

--
Tony Cunningham, Edinburgh University Computing Service. tjc@castle.ed.ac.uk

		If a man among you has no sin upon his hand
	    Let him throw a stone at me for playing in the band.

axel@coma.UUCP (Axel Mahler) (07/24/90)

In article <3060@skye.ed.ac.uk> richard@aiai.UUCP (Richard Tobin) writes:
>In article <4346@baird.cs.strath.ac.uk> jim@cs.strath.ac.uk (Jim Reid) writes:
>>available through the UKUUG secretariat. The copies cost 50 pounds,
>Technically, the conference was very good.  But where is all the money

I'm sorry to learn about these outrageous prices. What's the idea
behind that ?  Could someone at UKUUG at least post a table of contents,
so that I can build an opinion about whether this investment would be
worthwhile.

Thanks, A. Mahler.

--
Axel Mahler, Tech.Univ. Berlin

UUCP: axel@coma.uucp (unido!coma!axel)
BITNET: axel@db0tui62.bitnet

In article <5283@castle.ed.ac.uk> tjc@castle.ed.ac.uk (A J Cunningham) writes:
>>Like everything else associated with this conference, the price of the
>>proceedings is ridiculous (50 pounds ~= $80).  The comparably-sized
>>proceedings of the ACM Lisp conference a couple of weeks earlier cost
>>$26 to non-members...
>
>	Richard, I don't think this is an entirly fair comparison. The
>ACM is an incredibly wealthy organisation and can probably afford to
>sponsor both the event and the publication of proceedings...

ACM is a well-financed organization... but it did not get that way by
subsidizing events and proceedings!  ACM conferences and the like are
normally expected to at least recoup their expenses.  Their publications
most certainly are not sold at a loss.
--
NFS:  all the nice semantics of MSDOS, | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
and its performance and security too.  |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

brunner@bullhead.uucp (07/26/90)

>Presumably to pay for (a), (b),
> 					(c) the production costs of
>the various freebies (EUUG umbrella, Instruction Set T-shirt etc.)
>(d)

Um, I don't think so. The Instruction Set's promotional materials ought not
be paid for by EUUG, and I don't believe that they were. Helen or an EUUG
exec can provide the definitive answer.
Eric Brunner, Consultant, IBM AWD Palo Alto	(415) 855-4486
inet: brunner@monet.berkeley.edu		uucp: uunet!ibmsupt!brunner

trying to understand multiprocessing is like having bees live inside your head.

dieter@york.cs.ucla.edu (Dieter Rothmeier) (07/27/90)

In article <4346@baird.cs.strath.ac.uk>, jim@cs.strath.ac.uk (Jim Reid) writes:
|> There have been an enormous number of queries about obtaining copies of
|> the proceedings for the recent UKUUG conference in London. Copies are
|> available through the UKUUG secretariat. The copies cost 50 pounds,
|> [...]

Do these proceedings contains any papers on the Plan 9 system from
Bell Labs? Could a table of contents be posted here?
Where else could I get any or all papers on Plan 9?
I don't especially feel like putting out around $80 for
conference proceedings.

Thanks,
Dieter Rothmeier

bzs@world.std.com (Barry Shein) (07/27/90)

>I don't especially feel like putting out around $80 for
>conference proceedings.

You seem to be at a University (well, UCLA at any rate :-). Someone on
the faculty will know who is in charge of the library committee from
CS (or thereabouts.) Ask him or her to please suggest obtaining a few
copies of these conference proceedings for the library. Tell them how
about a hundred students need to read these so they'll need at least
five (it's probably true!)

You'd be surprised, most faculty library committees are hungry for
suggestions, it's often done at the last minute etc., like most
committee work, they'll welcome a heartfelt suggestion (or throw you
out of their office, but they do that anyhow.)
--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | {xylogics,uunet}!world!bzs | bzs@world.std.com

berry@lll-crg.llnl.gov (Berry Kercheval) (07/31/90)

In article <3133@syma.sussex.ac.uk> andy@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Andy Clews) writes:
>From article <3060@skye.ed.ac.uk>, by richard@aiai.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin):
>> Like everything else associated with this conference, the price of the
>> proceedings is ridiculous (50 pounds ~= $80). [...]
>> Technically, the conference was very good.  But where is all the money
>> going?
>
>Presumably to pay for (a) the hire of the Lancaster Gate Hotel for the
>week, (b) the hire of Tower Bridge for the "banquet" (actually a rather
>cramped buffet with hardly anywhere to sit), (c) the production costs of
>the various freebies (EUUG umbrella, Instruction Set T-shirt etc.) and
>maybe (d) fees for the distinguished speakers (Ritchie, Kernighan et al)?

At the conference, Sunil Das (the conference chair) told me that the
Royal Lancaster was charging 50 pounds per delegate per day!   This is
on top of over 100 pounds per night to actually stay there!  Admittedly,
the lunches were the best I've seen at a large conference, but it does
seem a bit steep.  I had the good fortune to be one of the Distinguished
(blush) Tutorial presenters, and even with the (quite generous) fee the UKUUG
kindly offered I couldn't afford to stay at the hotel.  My wife and I were
lucky enough to find that an instructor at the college I teach at part-time
has a flat in Battersea that we could let for the week.

Now we're back home in California, and while it's good to be home, I
find myself wishing I could nip around to the Swan for a pint with my
new friends....

  --berry

--
bERRY Kercheval :: berry@lll-crg.llnl.gov
"When I had no wings to fly, you flew to me..."