[comp.org.usenix] UNIFORUM

taylor@hplabsc.UUCP (01/31/87)

Just out of curiosity, did anyone else leave Uniforum with a distinct
feeling that nothing interesting is being done in the UNIX area??  I
saw lots of people demoing X, databases and secure Unix, but nothing
new and/or particularly interesting.

Not even any good giveaways 'cept the jar of Macadamia nuts from TeleVideo.

						-- Dave

ps: now as for USENIX, well....that's a different posting!

uh2@psuvm.bitnet.UUCP (01/31/87)

Dave Taylor writes that he saw "nothing interesting" at uniforum
'cept "... and secure Unix..."

Secure Unix might be boring to a lot of people, but (a) it is a lot
more complicated, and thus interesting, than you might first suppose,
and (b) it is probably just as important to the long range health of
Unix as a lot of sexier stuff.

lee

monkey@unixprt.UUCP (02/01/87)

In article <1160@hplabsc.UUCP>, taylor@hplabsc.UUCP (Dave Taylor) writes:

> Just out of curiosity, did anyone else leave Uniforum with a distinct
> feeling that nothing interesting is being done in the UNIX area??  I
> ps: now as for USENIX, well....that's a different posting!
I agree with Dave, not much exciting presented by the vendors.

Also, I was very disappointed in this years Usenix.  Seemed that its scope
is very narrow and that unless you were interested in performance or
data bases, the only interesting talks occured on day one (and that
was weak also).  I have always enjoyed the more open
format of the past.

Monkey Face - Uni-xperts, Milpitas, Ca.

> Also, I was very disappointed in this years Usenix.  Seemed that its scope
> is very narrow and that unless you were interested in performance or
> data bases, the only interesting talks occured on day one ...
> I have always enjoyed the more open format of the past.

Remember that this is the winter Usenix; you are thinking of the summer
meetings.  (Look at last year's winter meeting if you don't believe me --
if you thought *this* one was narrow...)

As I recall, the original reason for two conferences a year was an abundance
of things to talk about.  The network has taken over a lot of the real-time
interaction, and the adoption of parallel sessions and selective acceptance
of papers has reduced the bulk of the conferences proper.  I've been saying
for a long time that Usenix no longer had a good justification for having
two yearly general conferences, and that the winter one would either mutate
into something else or die.  It's trying to mutate into a combination of
tutorials and specialized workshops, and partially succeeding.  The inevitable
result is that it is less interesting to people who don't happen to be deeply
involved in the specific topics chosen for a particular year.
--
Legalize			Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
freedom!			{allegra,ihnp4,decvax,pyramid}!utzoo!henry

rs@mirror.UUCP (02/04/87)

Yeah, there was nothing spectacularly NEW! and EXCITING! at the
UniForum show.  The (implied) theme was Selling to the Government.
--
Rich $alz					"Drug tests p**s me off"
Mirror Systems, Cambridge Massachusetts		rs@mirror.TMC.COM

davidsen@steinmetz.UUCP (02/06/87)

In article <211900001@mirror> rs@mirror.UUCP writes:
>Yeah, there was nothing spectacularly NEW! and EXCITING! at the
>UniForum show.  The (implied) theme was Selling to the Government.

If you were looking for a $4500 laptop Cray with SRV.3 source
license included, I agree. On the other hand there were some
thing which excited the hell out of me.

Standards
=========

  SCO and Microsoft announced that the next major release will
be fully compatible with SRV.3. This will increase portability
to these systems, and will avoid having to learn the current
bizarre system administration required.

  DEC, DG, Apollo, and six other major companies announced
support for X-windows. To me this means that I can write
graphics software that won't have to be rewritten every time I
port it, that I will have more choice of software, since vendors
will be able to more easily support multiple configurations, and
that I will have a better choice of hardware which runs the
applications I need.

Networking
==========

  More support for nfs, especially the ability to use PC's as
cheap systems without disk. Competition between software vendors
driving the prices down.

Hardware
========

  Many new 80386 based machines coming on the market at
relatively low prices. This should provide the level of
performance of a 68020 at a lower cost. The ability to run MSDOS
programs as tasks under UNIX allows me to avoid ever running
MSDOS itself again, and to take advantage of the inexpensive
programs available in a PC environment. Previously running MSDOS
to use good applications was like diving for treasure in a
cesspool... rewarding but unpleasant.

  PC based X-windows terminals look as though they can help
reduce the press for console time on workstations. Some of our
machines are busy 12 hours on many days. These stations will
allow remote use by at least one additional user without an
unacceptable drop in performance.

----------------

I'm sorry that you're so bored with the show, but I see that my
life supporting several thousand users (no not by myself), is
getting easier, and that more people will be able to get
workstation performance at (top of the line) PC prices.

--
bill davidsen			sixhub \
      ihnp4!seismo!rochester!steinmetz ->  crdos1!davidsen

jamii@oxygen.uucp (Jamii K. Corley) (11/20/90)

  I noticed in the pamphalet for Winter USENIX that the UNIFORUM trade show
would be running concurrently with USENIX. Does anyone know what day it starts?
In particular I was wondering if it ran concurrently with the tutorials.
 Thanks,
         Jai

  jamii@edsr.eds.com   or ....uunet!edsr!jamii

"I've got compassion running out of my nose, pal. I'm the sultan of sentiment."
                        Albert Rosenfield, "Twin Peaks"

dhb@felonious.ssd.ray.com (David H. Brierley) (11/29/90)

In article <3777@tantalum.UUCP> jamii@oxygen.uucp (Jamii K. Corley) writes:

>  I noticed in the pamphalet for Winter USENIX that the UNIFORUM trade show
>would be running concurrently with USENIX. Does anyone know what day it starts?
>In particular I was wondering if it ran concurrently with the tutorials.

The UniForum trade show runs from Tuesday through Thursday.  The hours are
10:00 AM to 6:00 PM Tuesday and Wednesday and 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM on Thursday.
--
David H. Brierley; Raytheon Submarine Signal Division
Work: dhb@quahog.ssd.ray.com       Home: dave@galaxia.newport.ri.us