[comp.org.usenix] Usenix versus Uniforum

elee4fg@jetson.uh.edu (12/02/90)

I am confused.  Since I am new to Unix world, I am confused to the
different between Usenix and Uniforum.
Could somebody explain to me what are them.
Seng C. Gan
ias

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) (12/05/90)

In article <7856.27582da2@jetson.uh.edu> elee4fg@jetson.uh.edu writes:

> I am confused.  Since I am new to Unix world, I am confused to the
> different between Usenix and Uniforum.

I've been waiting to post something (sarcastic) like this for a while:

Who attends:

UniForum:  3 days, 10,000 sales people.  All of them want you
to buy their product.
Usenix:  6 days, 4,000 (?) technical people.  All of them want you to
come and work for you.

Common phrase heard:

UniForum:  "It's the best on the market!"
Usenix:  "Now that we're drunk, wanna break into to foof and rool
around with their satelite dish?"

Proper dress:
UniForum:  Business suit and jacket.
Usenix:  Clothes?  But officer it's soooo hot out here on the foof!

War story you're likely hear:
UniForum:  "My First X-Windows Experience"
Usenix:  "When 10 bytes was a lot of RAM"

How to find fun:
Usenix:  Look for signs that offer to "save your face".
UniForum:  Look for the signs that say, "free bus back to Usenix"

(Of course I'm ONLY kidding!  I enjoy both.  They're just VERY
different and you get VERY different things out of both.)
-Tom
--
tlimonce@drew.edu     Tom Limoncelli      "Flash!  Flash!  I love you!
tlimonce@drew.bitnet  +1 201 408 5389        ...but we only have fourteen

bill@camco.Celestial.COM (Bill Campbell) (12/06/90)

In <7856.27582da2@jetson.uh.edu> elee4fg@jetson.uh.edu writes:

>I am confused.  Since I am new to Unix world, I am confused to the
>different between Usenix and Uniforum.
>Could somebody explain to me what are them.
>Seng C. Gan
>ias

Usenix members have beards, sandles, and program.

Uniforum members wear suits.

On a slightly more serious note.  Usenix tends to be much more
technically oriented with a Berkley bias while Uniforum is
concerned with real-world things like end-users, marketing,
standards, and applications.

I find the two groups complementary and have belonged to both.

These are my opinions and in no way anyone's official policy.
(flames > /dev/null).

Bill.
--
INTERNET:  bill@Celestial.COM   Bill Campbell; Celestial Software
UUCP:   ...!thebes!camco!bill   6641 East Mercer Way

hubcap@hubcap.clemson.edu (System Janitor) (12/06/90)

 *  Usenix members have beards, sandles, and program.
 *
 *  Uniforum members wear suits.
 *

or (with many :-)s...)

usenix is composed of folks who like to patch running kernels with adb.

uniforum is composed of folks who know just enough to log in, except that
they forgot their password.

-Mike

thoth@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Gilligan) (12/10/90)

  Ah, but there are more trinkets/m^2 at Uniforum than at usenix (and
even more at the usenix IBM hospitality suite :).

  How come everyone "gives" away T-shirts ("gives" because you often
have to listen to a speech about a product that GNU has had a better
version of for years) but no shorts, jeans, overcoats or sneakers.  I
have a million free T-shirts, but never have I been given a pair of
sneakers.  (insert indignant snort)

----
down with booth-babes
--
"Until it's on my desk, it's vaporware"  (`it' is the NeXT)
"Those who would trade freedom for security soon will have neither" B. Franklin

taylor@limbo.Intuitive.Com (Dave Taylor) (12/10/90)

> How come everyone "gives" away T-shirts ... but never have I been given
> a pair of sneakers.  (insert indignant snort)

Well, I've at least gotten some nifty Sun Microsystem sneaker laces!

> down with booth-babes

It's a funny thing, that... I talked with one of the models hired by
Toshiba at COMDEX about the situation and she reported the sad fact
that when a "model" is in the booth, the number of visitors visibly
increases.  At TriGem, for example, the company with the SPARC laptop (*)
their head of PR told me that when the woman who posed on their literature
(their accountant, btw) (really!) was in the booth, the line of men who
wanted to have her sign their pamphlets snaked completely around the booth.

Only once have I ever seen a male model at a show, and that was the
GamePro magazine (a publication of IDG) "GamePro" character at the last
Consumer Electronics Show; he was a well built man in garish yellow
tights.  He seemed uncomfortable and no-one seemed to care much...

I don't like the idea of having attractive people hired to work a booth
just to draw customers in, but it's a sad fact that it not only works,
it works pretty damn well too.  Check it out for yourself at the next
trade show you attend...and ask the attractive people if they actually
work for the companies or not...

Finally, I'll simply add my voice to the comments about Usenix and
UniForum being complimentary organizations; I look to Usenix, both
the conferences and publications, to push the edges of the technical
information envelope in Unix and Unix related topics.  UniForum is
the "two years later" place, where I can see products, read about
customer/user experience, and get the other half of the R&D coin.
If you're interested in how things are used as well as how they work,
I would strongly advise you join both organizations.  I've been an
active member of both for quite a few years now.

						-- Dave Taylor

Intuitive Systems		       Contributing Editor, "CommUNIXations"
Mountain View, California	      (a publication of the UniForum Assoc.)

taylor@limbo.intuitive.com    or   {uunet!}{decwrl,apple}!limbo!taylor

(*) Please see 'SunTech Journal', 'SunExpert' or 'The Sun Observer' for more
    information!  RDI Computer Corp, the makers of the machine that TriGem
    will be distributing, can be reached at (619) 944-6381; they're located
    in San Diego.  Don't send me mail on this subject!  :-)

avolio@decuac.DEC.COM (Frederick M. Avolio) (12/10/90)

Do not assume that all attractive people in booths are hired
actors.  I know someone who was quized by at least one customer
who came by the booth -- something like, let's see you write
a C program (I told her she should've then made him write
one! :-)) -- because she happens to be attractive and well-dressed
in addition to being very technically astute.

Fred
(who has never been accused of being a "booth-babe" :-))

In article <1990Dec10.104256@decuac.DEC.COM> avolio@decuac.DEC.COM (Frederick M. Avolio) writes:
>Do not assume that all attractive people in booths are hired
>actors...

Amen.  The most attractive woman I know, sometimes found on booth duty when
circumstances dictate, is a programmer.
--
"The average pointer, statistically,    |Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
points somewhere in X." -Hugh Redelmeier| henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) (12/11/90)

In article <THOTH.90Dec9144758@reef.cis.ufl.edu> thoth@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Gilligan) writes:

>  Ah, but there are more trinkets/m^2 at Uniforum than at usenix (and
>even more at the usenix IBM hospitality suite :).

Not necessarily.

At the IBM hospitality suite in Washington, I picked up an ice scraper
(REAL handy for Texans and Californians), elastic key chain, paper clip
holder, pocket scissors, and I'm sure there's one or two I've missed.

At Uniforum, let's see...

Condoms at the Elan booth;
Crystal balls from Intel;
Pocket screwdrivers, coasters and strange pens everywhere;
Buttons with slogans like "Honey I shrunk the Cray";
Chocolate bars at Amdahl;
A UNIX wizard poster from Unitech;
Tons of plastic bookmarks from Unix World;
Albino (pure white) floppy disks from Compaq;
Your picture on the cover of a "newspaper" at Unisys;
Cheap (but cute) fedora hats at Unisys.
Long-necked, gold-trimmed coffee mugs at SCO;
The OSF was giving away cameras to people spotted wearing their buttons;
etc...

Parties? IMHO, the annual Uniforum bash thrown by SCO must certainly
rival the Usenix gala. In Washington SCO rented a whole museum for its
bash. The one thrown for Uniforum members is alsmost as good.

Of course, nobody at Uniforum had the selection of foreign beers
available at Usenix...

>  How come everyone "gives" away T-shirts ("gives" because you often
>have to listen to a speech about a product that GNU has had a better
>version of for years) but no shorts, jeans, overcoats or sneakers.  I
>have a million free T-shirts, but never have I been given a pair of
>sneakers.  (insert indignant snort)

T-shirts at shows are usually only offered in two sizes -- too large or too
small. For shoes, shorts, they'd have to stock more different sizes that
wouldn't fit you. Besides, t-shirts offer the giver more space to
plaster their message than shoes would.

Overcoats? You might need to go to Comdex for those...

--
Evan Leibovitch, Sound Software, located in beautiful Brampton, Ontario
     evan@telly.on.ca / uunet!attcan!telly!evan / (416) 452-0504

henry@garp.mit.edu (Henry Mensch) (12/11/90)

avolio@decuac.DEC.COM (Frederick M. Avolio) writes:
|> Do not assume that all attractive people in booths are hired
|> actors.

never have ... some of the most attractive men at USENIX are to be found in
those booths!

--
# Henry Mensch    /   <henry@garp.mit.edu>   /   E40-379 MIT,  Cambridge, MA
# <hmensch@uk.ac.nsfnet-relay> / <henry@tts.lth.se> / <mensch@munnari.oz.au>

thoth@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Gilligan) (12/12/90)

>>  Ah, but there are more trinkets/m^2 at Uniforum than at usenix (and
>>even more at the usenix IBM hospitality suite :).
>
>Not necessarily.

  Oh yes, Uniform has more, but IBM had less acreage to pack it in.
The hospitality suite was definitely the place to hang out.  I don't
know of too many booths at Uniforum where you could play xtrek against
other humans.  I'd like to see the vendors get their act together
enough to network some workstations and play xtank.  Throw your MIPS/$
into the arena with the rest.
  To avert reply postings of "yes, it was done at blah,blah,blah",
I'll say, *I* want to see it done, with a good machine thrashing game,
too.  It separates the Sun3s from the HPs. (our HP apollo 400s have a
faster vendor X with more bugs and fewer features than the MIT sun X).

  An ice scraper comes in real handy here at ufl :) Frisbees are more
in line, but I already have three. ( by the way, you forgot /dev/mug,
the coolest trinket of all:)
--

jordan@Morgan.COM (Jordan Hayes) (12/12/90)

Bill Campbell <bill@camco.Celestial.COM> writes:

	Usenix members have beards, sandles, and program.

	Uniforum members wear suits.

Oh no.

Not *this* again.

/jordan

scs@lokkur.dexter.mi.us (Steve Simmons) (12/12/90)

thoth@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Gilligan) writes:

>  An ice scraper comes in real handy here at ufl :) Frisbees are more
>in line, but I already have three. ( by the way, you forgot /dev/mug,
>the coolest trinket of all:)

I tell ya, little buddy, those ice scrapers didn't make it thru
the first blizzard.  My credit cards held up better.
--
"SO be it!  The fate of the UNIVERSE is in your hands!"
"Talk about job-related stress."

fair@Apple.COM (Erik E. Fair) (12/14/90)

In the referenced article, evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) writes:

>At the IBM hospitality suite in Washington, I picked up an ice scraper
>(REAL handy for Texans and Californians), ...

Actually, they are useful to those of us Californians who either live
in the Sierra Nevada mountains, or who visit there frequently during
the winter. Our current drought notwithstanding, we get lots of snow
and ice up there.

	an avid alpine skier,
		awaiting more snow,

	Erik E. Fair	apple!fair	fair@apple.com

shore@mtxinu.COM (Melinda Shore) (12/14/90)

In article <2331@s6.Morgan.COM> jordan@Morgan.COM (Jordan Hayes) writes:
>Oh no.
>Not *this* again.

You really didn't think that there was any way to avoid it, did you?
For once, I'd like to see this conversation take place in comp.org.uniforum.
--
               Hardware brevis, software longa
Melinda Shore                                 shore@mtxinu.com

ehrlich@cs.psu.edu (Dan Ehrlich) (12/14/90)

In article <47349@apple.Apple.COM> fair@Apple.COM (Erik E. Fair) writes:

Erik> In the referenced article, evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) writes:

>At the IBM hospitality suite in Washington, I picked up an ice scraper
>(REAL handy for Texans and Californians), ...

Does anyone know if IBM is going to have a suite in Dallas?  Just want to
know if I need to pack an extra suitcase for the "Trinkets from Hell".  :-)

--
Dan Ehrlich - Sr. Systems Programmer - Penn State Computer Science
<ehrlich@cs.psu.edu>/Voice: +1 814 863 1142/FAX: +1 814 865 3176

One thing I found annoying about the Grand Kempinski is that they forbid
entertaining of any sort in the rooms and suites.   You want to do a
hospitality "suite", you must do it in their ballrooms or special
reception rooms (smallest -- capacity 125), fully catered by
the hotel at $4/beer, etc.   I'm not IBM, and I probably don't have the
budget for a fully catered room of that size.   I was hoping to do
something.

The Marriott (I thought USENIX swore never to return to Marriotts?) alternate
hotel is "2 blocks" away in the brochure, so I called their Bell Captain
and asked how far to the Grand K.   He said 15 minutes, then 10 minutes, and
then when I suggested holding a reception in their hotel he said 1 minute!

Perhaps there are some restaurants etc immediately adjacent to the Grand
K?  I have zero knowledge of the area.  If anybody who does know it and would
be willing to help me could send me e-mail, that would be appreciated.

If the hotel would let me, I would be glad to fill the bathtub with drinks
like they do at SF Cons and invite USENET people up to chat, get their
extra-special surprise premium, see the demo if they like (of course) and
hang out.   But it seems that SF Cons are the only people who ever can
convince hotels to allow this.   The USENIX crowd is more my crowd than
the Uniforum crowd, even if they don't hold as many purse strings.

Anybody else got Usenix hospitality plans?

In article <1990Dec14.084852.2406@looking.on.ca> brad@looking.on.ca (Brad Templeton) writes:
>The Marriott (I thought USENIX swore never to return to Marriotts?) alternate
>hotel is "2 blocks" away in the brochure, so I called their Bell Captain
>and asked how far to the Grand K.   He said 15 minutes, then 10 minutes, and
>then when I suggested holding a reception in their hotel he said 1 minute!
I can understand the confusion.  They are quite close, however you have
to risk life and limb.  Dallas is not made for walking.  It's probably
1 minute if you get hit by a car and carried the rest of the way.

>Perhaps there are some restaurants etc immediately adjacent to the Grand
>K?  I have zero knowledge of the area.  If anybody who does know it and would
>be willing to help me could send me e-mail, that would be appreciated.
There's a mall across the street, but I didn't dare cross it.

						-kee
--
Alphalpha Software, Inc.	|	motif-request@alphalpha.com
nazgul@alphalpha.com		|-----------------------------------

I'm not sure which upsets me more; that people are so unwilling to accept
everyone else's.

bjs@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian J. Smith) (12/17/90)

In article <1990Dec15.175511.5776@alphalpha.com> nazgul@alphalpha.com (Kee Hinckley) writes:
>In article <1990Dec14.084852.2406@looking.on.ca> brad@looking.on.ca (Brad Templeton) writes:
>
>>Perhaps there are some restaurants etc immediately adjacent to the Grand
>>K?  I have zero knowledge of the area.  If anybody who does know it and would
>>be willing to help me could send me e-mail, that would be appreciated.
>There's a mall across the street, but I didn't dare cross it.

I am going to Dallas for X-mas and plan to make a list of hotels, sites and
other neato things in Dallas.  I will post my research when I return to school
during the week of the 5th.

Bjs

--
Brian J. Smith				"I have yet to understand why proof
CIS Sys Admin Staff			 by handwaving works for Phd's, but

BSD@psuvm.psu.edu (Scott Dickson) (12/18/90)

There is a new Motel 6 right close to the Kempenski, same side
of the street, even.  Their rate is $38.95/night.

--SCott
bsd@psuvm.psu.edu

It turns out I was told the "no entertaining in rooms" rule by the convention
services people, who would much rather you book a ballroom.  The reservations
people said it was fine, but all the suites are booked up.

So I will hold a hospitality suite Wednesday at the Marriott.  I hope the walk
is not too far so that people end up doing it.