[comp.org.usenix] Getting to the Grand K

rjg@sialis.mn.org (Robert J. Granvin) (12/20/90)

There's been discussion as of late regarding how to get to and from the
alternate hotels to the Grand K.  How about a wider scope?  Does anyone
know what the options are for getting to the Grand K from DFW airport?
30 or so miles is an unfortunate waste of resources if you have to think
"taxi."  :-)

--
Robert J. Granvin \\\\\\\\                            rjg@sialis.com : INTERNET
University of Minnesota \\\              ...uunet!rosevax!sialis!rjg : UUCP

chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Chip Rosenthal) (12/21/90)

In article <241@sialis.mn.org> rjg@sialis.mn.org (Robert J. Granvin) writes:
>Does anyone know what the options are for getting to the Grand K from
>DFW airport?

There is a bit of mileage between the two, so the cab ride is expensive.
There are super-shuttle (and other no-name) limo services which run
pretty regularly.  During prime-time the shuttle's run around through
the airport - just flag one down.  You'll want one marked (I believe)
North Dallas.  If you take the red-eye, you'll need to courtesy phone
them, but I believe they run 24 hrs.  If you keep a good attitude
(e.g. `No, I wasn't in any big hurry to get to the hotel.  I've always
wanted to see scenic Carrolton.') then you'll make it OK with a bit
less wallet leakage than with a cab ride.

--
Chip Rosenthal  512-482-8260  |  We was raising insurance premiums, ma.
Unicom Systems Development    |  We was spreading fear of arson.

rick@uunet.UU.NET (Rick Adams) (12/21/90)

quoting from Page 3 of the registration form, under the heading
"AIRPORT TRANSPORTATION"

SuperShuttle provides 24 hour transportation to the Grand Kempinski.
Just call SuperShuttle from the baggage claim transportation counter to
make a reservation. Be sure to take the blue van marked "NORTH
DALLAS-GALLERIA.". Cost is currently $13.50 one way.

Taxi service is available at an approximate cost of $22 one way.

--rick

(People traveling in groups of 2 or more should obviously take a taxi)

berry@lll-crg.llnl.gov (Berry Kercheval) (12/22/90)

In article <115081@uunet.UU.NET> rick@uunet.UU.NET (Rick Adams) writes:
>SuperShuttle ...  Cost is currently $13.50 one way.
>Taxi service is available at an approximate cost of $22 one way.

I've had fair luck in the past wearing a Usenix t-shirt and loitering
by the rent-a-car counters looking for either folks I know or
likely-looking hacker-types and asking for a ride.  Often, since the
target is renting the car and driving to the hotel anyway, he/she is
happy to do a good deed, and to have someone to talk to for the boring
drive.

Usually if nothing happens in 20 minutes or so I just take the shuttle
anyway.

  --berry (not going to make it this time :-()

--
bERRY Kercheval :: idi!berry@sun.com :: Intelligent Decisions, Inc.
"When I had no wings to fly, you flew to me..."

ses@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Steve Speer) (12/22/90)

>There's been discussion as of late regarding how to get to and from the
>alternate hotels to the Grand K.  How about a wider scope?  Does anyone
>know what the options are for getting to the Grand K from DFW airport?
>30 or so miles is an unfortunate waste of resources if you have to think
>"taxi."  :-)

There is exactly one (sane) route.  You take the LBJ (635 North/East) Freeway
from the airport to N. Dallas.  Take the Northbound exit for the Dallas
Tollway (also called Parkway) until you get to Beltline.  You can see the
Grand K. on your left.  It has been two years since I lived there, so my
appologies if I screwed this up (I doubt it).  Unfortunately, Dallas public
transportation hasn't developed much.  The city is very spread out and the
transport of choice is the auto by far.  The taxi ride was $25.00 on last
count (probably gone up since).  It probably wouldn't be hard to hitch a
ride from the rental car desks to the Grand K.  I'd offer, but I already have
4.

On a more interesting vein, anyone care for some restaurant rec's?

	-Steve