[comp.org.usenix] Weather in Dallas in January

bruno@sdcc10.ucsd.edu (Bruce W. Mohler) (12/21/90)

Can anyone suggest what we might expect from the weather
in Dallas in late January?  (I'm interested since I'll be
in the group walking each morning to the Grand K.)

Thanks, in advance.

--
Bruce W. Mohler
Systems Programmer (aka Staff Analyst)

dvk@sei.cmu.edu (Daniel Klein) (12/21/90)

Expect from Dallas what you would expect from most any place in the
winter.  Last
time we were there, it snowed (a little), and there was ice on the road.
The days
were also bright and sunny, so all the ice melted (except under the
bridges, where
you could always go to watch Texans smash into each other.  I'd guess
that you can
count on weather from the high 20's to the mid 50's.  Bring a coat,
gloves, and
a sweater.  It's unlikely you'll need all of them at once, but having a
choice is
nice.
--
-- ============ -- =========== -- =========== -- =========== --
=========== --

dewey@execu.execu.com (Dewey Henize) (12/21/90)

In article <15032@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> bruno@sdcc10.ucsd.edu (Bruce W. Mohler) writes:
]Can anyone suggest what we might expect from the weather
]in Dallas in late January?  (I'm interested since I'll be
]in the group walking each morning to the Grand K.)
]
]--
]Bruce W. Mohler

You can have your choice of anything from snow through sleet to 84 degrees
with 90% humidity.  Seriously.

Personally, I'm betting on rain and medium warm, since that's the normal
average.  It's just that the 'average' there (and here) comes from quite
wide extremes instead of a fairly narrow range.

Not much help, I know, but its true.  We had to run air conditioning at home
less than a week ago, two days later light to medium jackets would be very
appropriate during the 'heat of the day'.

Dew
--
| Execucom and I often have different ideas.  THESE are mine, ok?  Ok.        |
|               dewey@execu.com or uunet!sequoia!dewey                        |

epstein@trwacs.UUCP (Jeremy Epstein) (12/21/90)

In article <15032@sdcc6.ucsd.edu>, bruno@sdcc10.ucsd.edu (Bruce W. Mohler) writes:
> Can anyone suggest what we might expect from the weather
> in Dallas in late January?  (I'm interested since I'll be
> in the group walking each morning to the Grand K.)

Well, "variable" is about the only thing I can suggest.  A few years
ago I flew in a few days early to visit my brother, and when I arrived
it was 70 degrees and sunny.  The next morning the wind chill was below
zero, and there was a bit of snow.  The remainder of the week was around
freezing.

I don't know if this is typical!!!

--Jeremy
--
Jeremy Epstein			UUCP: uunet!trwacs!epstein
Trusted X Research Group	Internet: epstein@trwacs.fp.trw.com

mstgil@ponder.csci.unt.edu (Marc Ph. A. J. St.-Gil) (12/22/90)

As a native Dallasite and area resident for over 24 years, I would suggest that
you bring a little of everything except shorts and bathing suits.  It is likely
to be anywhere from 25 to 75 degrees f. in the day and 20 to 60 in the evenings
and radical changes fro day to day are not unusual.  It was in the 60s yesterday
and it will be good if we hit 30 today (12/21/90).  This is pretty typical of
north Texas weather.  So my advice to you is: bring the heavy stuff, but don't
_expect_ anything.  I will try and remember to post weather reports as we near
the conference dates.  See you there!
Cheers,
Marc
--
Marc St.-Gil, Unixmeister      mstgil@{ponder,solo}.csci.unt.edu
  Research Systems Programmer  I X therefore I am.  marc@vaxa.acs.unt.edu

billg@hitachi.uucp (Bill Gundry) (12/22/90)

From article <15032@sdcc6.ucsd.edu>, by bruno@sdcc10.ucsd.edu (Bruce W. Mohler):
> Can anyone suggest what we might expect from the weather
> in Dallas in late January?  (I'm interested since I'll be
> in the group walking each morning to the Grand K.)

In a word: COLD

Bill

...uunet!hitachi!billg

ps. and, maybe, in another word: RAIN

afsipmh@cid.aes.doe.CA (Patrick Hertel) (01/07/91)

In article <15032@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> bruno@sdcc10.ucsd.edu (Bruce W. Mohler) writes:
>Can anyone suggest what we might expect from the weather
>in Dallas in late January?  (I'm interested since I'll be
>in the group walking each morning to the Grand K.)
>
>Thanks, in advance.
>
>--
>Bruce W. Mohler
>Systems Programmer (aka Staff Analyst)
>bruno@sdcc10.ucsd.edu
>voice: 619-586-2218

I have been following it lately and ist been hovering around the
freezing mark. At one point I think they had freezing rain and ice
pellets. Fog seems to be a popular item.
--
Pat Hertel                 Canadian Meteorological Centre
Analyst/Programmer         2121 N. Service Rd.

shaver@convex.com (Dave Shaver) (01/10/91)

Bruce W. Mohler asks:
>Can anyone suggest what we might expect from the weather
>in Dallas in late January?  (I'm interested since I'll be
>in the group walking each morning to the Grand K.)

Sunshine or fog, clear skys or clouds and rain, between 30 and 60
degrees.  So, basically, it depends.  Our normal highs for this time of
year are ~50, lows in the mid 40s, but it has been colder than that for
quite some time.  Freezing rain is "uncommon," so if there's ice
outside you don't want to go ANYWHERE since no one knows how to drive
on slick roads.

"Typical" weather for January alternates between a few days of mostly
or completely cloudy with mist/showers and a few days of perfect blue
skys.  It just depends if you get lucky or not.  :-)

/\  Dave Shaver
\\  CONVEX Computer Corporation, Richardson, TX
\/  Internet: shaver@convex.com    UUCP:  uunet!convex!shaver