[comp.org.usenix] Dallas Terminal Room/Re: Missing Tapes

sonya@canstar.UUCP (Sonya D. Neufer) (02/01/91)

It seems that somebody has mistakenly taken two of the SUN distribution tapes
from the Terminal Room in Dallas.  The tapes are labeled SunOS tape (#2 of 2)
and C 1.0 compiler tape.  They were located in the terminal room behind the
Sun with tape #1 of 2, which was not taken.  I can only assume it was a
mistake that these tapes were picked up.  I hope that the person taking them
will please return them to the Usenix Office, 2560 Ninth Street, Suite 215,
Berkeley, CA 94710 so that we may return them to Sun Microsystems.  It would
be a real shame that this isolated incident might cause the end of future
Terminal Rooms at USENIX Conferences.

Sonya D. Neufer
Terminal Room Coordinator

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (02/01/91)

In article <209@canstar.UUCP> sonya@canstar.com (Sonya D. Neufer) writes:
>It seems that somebody has mistakenly taken two of the SUN distribution tapes
>from the Terminal Room in Dallas.  The tapes are labeled SunOS tape (#2 of 2)
>and C 1.0 compiler tape...  It would be a real shame that this isolated
>incident might cause the end of future Terminal Rooms at USENIX Conferences.

But whatever the outcome, we can assume that it will be the end of leaving
valuable software lying around on a distribution medium where it can be
easily stolen.

--
Steve Dyer
dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (02/02/91)

In article <6291@spdcc.SPDCC.COM> dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) writes:
>But whatever the outcome, we can assume that it will be the end of leaving
>valuable software lying around on a distribution medium where it can be
>easily stolen.

Yeah, it's all the victim's fault.

marks@pwa-b.uucp (Evan R. Marks) (02/03/91)

It is possible that the tapes were taken by non-usenix people.
The security at the terminal room was somewhat lax compared
to that at DFW.  While I was in there, there were several poeple without
badges, but not everyone wears their badge.  If you let us know what architecture,
maybe someone with an extra tape can mail it/them to you, and the future of
terminal room access would be assured.

--
Evan R. Marks  			   	 Pratt & Whitney Aircraft
Sr. Systems Support Analyst              400 Main St. M/S 161-05