[comp.org.usenix] rooms near Opryland Hotel

rmilner@zia.aoc.nrao.edu (Ruth Milner) (04/17/91)

I was at a DECUS symposium held at the Opryland a few years ago, and stayed
at a Best Western about a 2 minute walk away. There were a couple of other
hotels of similar calibre, for about $50/night, in the same area, though I'm
afraid I don't recall the names.

Expect the cheapest rooms to go first.

Beats me how the organizers could schedule a conflict like this; it is
Nashville, after all. Possibly they booked way in advance and the Country
Music bash hadn't yet.
--
Ruth Milner
Systems Manager                     NRAO/VLA                    Socorro NM

ed@mtxinu.COM (Ed Gould) (04/17/91)

If you're planning to attend the Nashville Conference, or you're even
thinking about it, be sure to amke your room reservations early.  There
will be some 80,000 others at Opryland that week.

--
Ed Gould			No longer formally affiliated with,
ed@mtxinu.COM			and certainly not speaking for, mt Xinu.

"I'll fight them as a woman, not a lady.  I'll fight them as an engineer."

howard@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Howard Lem) (04/18/91)

In article <1991Apr16.191159.15766@nmt.edu> rmilner@zia.aoc.nrao.edu (Ruth Milner) writes:
>I was at a DECUS symposium held at the Opryland a few years ago, and stayed
>at a Best Western about a 2 minute walk away. There were a couple of other
>hotels of similar calibre, for about $50/night, in the same area, though I'm
>afraid I don't recall the names.

Hi all - Here's a list of hotels that are near Opryland.  This is taken from
	 the AAA guide of Kentucky & Tennessee.  Rates are from AAA book.
Opryland Hotel	- See Usenix Info.
Shoney's Inn of Music Valley	- See Usenix Info. (2420 Music Valley Dr.)
Sheraton Music City	- See Usenix Info. **
Best Western Opryland	- 2600 Music Valley Dr.
			- 1p $58, 2p2b $65,  RG *
			- 1-800-388-3066 or (615)-889-8235
Comfort Inn Opryland	- 2516 Music Valley Dr.
			- 1p $44.95, 2p2b $44.95, SVR *
			- (615)-889-0086
Econo Lodge-Opryland	- 2460 Music Valley Dr.
			- 1p $42.95 2p2b 58.95, RSC *
			- (615)-889-0090
Ramada Inn Across from Opryland	- 2401 Music Valley Dr.
				- 1p $89, 2p2b $89, SVR *
				- (615)-889-0800

 *  AAA designation - RG= Rates Guaranteed to AAA members. Request the rate
			  on Reservation & Registration.
		     SVR= Special Value Rates AAA member get Extra 10% off
			  when requested on Reservation & Registration.
		     RSC= Rates are subject to Change.  Actual rates maybe
			  'reasonably' higher or lower than the Tourbook rate.
**  This is for somebody who is familiar with Nashville?
    The Usenix brochure lists the Sheraton Music City as being close to the
    Cumberland River.  Sheraton Woldwide Reservations and AAA guide book puts
    the hotel close to the airport & I40.  Sheraton says about 5 miles away
    from Opryland Park entrance.  Which is right??

See you there!
Howard Lem, UTCS.
--
           ========= (-: ALL Usual disclaimers go here :-) =========
Email:		howard@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca

cgregory@ziggy.cs.uiuc.edu (Christine Gregory) (04/18/91)

In article <1991Apr17.180302.23854@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca> howard@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Howard Lem) writes:

(thanks!)

In case it helps, I'll let y'all know what happened when I called:

" Hi all - Here's a list of hotels that are near Opryland.  This is taken from
" 	 the AAA guide of Kentucky & Tennessee.  Rates are from AAA book.
" Best Western Opryland	- 2600 Music Valley Dr.
" 			- 1p $58, 2p2b $65,  RG *
" 			- 1-800-388-3066 or (615)-889-8235

Now called something else -- All booked up.

" Comfort Inn Opryland	- 2516 Music Valley Dr.
" 			- 1p $44.95, 2p2b $44.95, SVR *
" 			- (615)-889-0086

$69.95 per night (single or double), requires a $100 deposit to be sent in
advance.

" Econo Lodge-Opryland	- 2460 Music Valley Dr.
" 			- 1p $42.95 2p2b 58.95, RSC *
" 			- (615)-889-0090

All booked up.

" Ramada Inn Across from Opryland	- 2401 Music Valley Dr.
" 				- 1p $89, 2p2b $89, SVR *
" 				- (615)-889-0800

Didn't bother calling this one, since it's already more expensive than one
in the Usenix brouchure.

If anybody knows of any others, let's hear it!
I don't know about anyone else, but I don't mind staying at an "inexpensive"
hotel, as long as it's halfway decent.  (i.e. "Days Inn" is OK, "The Honky-
Tonk Motel" isn't  :-)  Anybody out there familiar with the area?
(I've been through Nashville quite a few times, but never stayed in a hotel
 there.)
Otherwise, my $100 will be on its way to Comfort Inn.

 @)-`,-  @)-`,-  @)-`,-  @)-`,-  @)-`,-  @)-`,-  @)-`,-  @)-`,-  @)-`,-  @)-`,-
Christine A. Gregory				cgregory@ziggy.cs.uiuc.edu
Research Programmer -- C.S. Instruct'l Lab Operations   voice 217/244-6108
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign		fax   217/333-3501

rick@uunet.uu.net (Rick Adams) (04/18/91)

> Beats me how the organizers could schedule a conflict like this; it is
> Nashville, after all. Possibly they booked way in advance and the Country
> Music bash hadn't yet.

USENIX has to book space about 5 years ahead of time. This makes it
difficult to always find all of the conflicts.

E.g. The upcoming San Diego Conference will be during Super Bowl week.
Not long ago, there were a few weeks where it looked like the Super Bowl might
be in San Diego. (We had booked the conference years earlier). Fortunately, its
not in San Diego this time.

--rick

ellie@usenix.ORG (Ellie Young) (04/18/91)

In article <1991Apr16.191159.15766@nmt.edu>, rmilner@zia.aoc.nrao.edu (Ruth Milner) writes:

> Beats me how the organizers could schedule a conflict like this; it is
> Nashville, after all. Possibly they booked way in advance and the Country
> Music bash hadn't yet.
> --
> Ruth Milner
> Systems Manager                     NRAO/VLA                    Socorro NM
>                             rmilner@zia.aoc.nrao.edu

Dear Ruth:

The Association contracted with the Opryland Hotel in 1987.
The Country Music Fair was not planned until just a year ago,
and we were only notified of this fact this past Winter, when
there is little we can do about the conflict.   That is why
we are encouraging folks to make their reservations as soon
as possible.

Ellie Young
Executive Director
USENIX

okeefe@cs.Buffalo.EDU (Paul O'Keefe) (04/18/91)

All of the budget priced motels adjacent to Opryland that
I called are booked full.

If your traveling by air, book into a conference hotel
while you still can.

If your traveling by car and can't afford the conference hotel rates,
get out your AAA travel book and start calling hotels near the airport
about 5-6 miles down the Briley Pkwy. from  Opryland.
But, do it soon.

DISCLAIMER: I have no idea what the parking situation at Opryland
will be like that week. Also, don't rely on the AAA price list,
many of the hotels have upped their prices and suspended AAA
discounts for Fan Fair.

Paul O'Keefe
SUNY at Buffalo