[comp.org.usenix] ...more BOFs

gc@cbnewsh.att.com (eugene.cristofor) (05/14/91)

		UUNET & IOCCC BOF
		=================

Starting at 6:30pm, Rick Adams will discuss UUNET/Usenet:
UUNET configuration, load history, load stats, future
network directions, recent Usenet events and issues, etc.

Starting at 7:45pm, Landon Curt Noll will discuss International
Obfuscated C Code Contest IOCCC): overview, how the contest is
judged, presentation of winning programs, 'Best of Show' program,
etc.

By tradition, the 4.xBSD BOF starts in the same room afterwards.

--
Gene Cristofor
AT&T Bell Labs, Holmdel, NJ 07733

heiby@mcdchg.chg.mcd.mot.com (Ron Heiby) (05/14/91)

gc@cbnewsh.att.com (eugene.cristofor) writes:
>Starting at 6:30pm, Rick Adams will discuss UUNET/Usenet:
>Starting at 7:45pm, Landon Curt Noll will discuss International

Sounds great!  Those are being held *each* evening, right?  :-)
--
Ron Heiby, heiby@chg.mcd.mot.com	Moderator: comp.newprod
"Wrong is wrong, even when it helps you." Popeye

spike@world.std.com (Joe Ilacqua) (05/15/91)

heiby@mcdchg.chg.mcd.mot.com (Ron Heiby) writes:

<gc@cbnewsh.att.com (eugene.cristofor) writes:
<>Starting at 6:30pm, Rick Adams will discuss UUNET/Usenet:
<...
<>Starting at 7:45pm, Landon Curt Noll will discuss International
<Sounds great!  Those are being held *each* evening, right?  :-)

	"Everybody" knows that the UUNET/BSD is never on the night of
the Reception (Thursday) and that no "real" BOFs are on Tuesday or
Friday.

->Spike
--
The World - Public Access Unix - +1 617-739-9753  24hrs {3,12,24,96,192}00bps

bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) (05/17/91)

These sound suspiciously more like presentations (with overhead
projectors and microphones and prepared speakers) than BOFS (with very
informal discussion between similarly-feathered birds).  Why not just
include them into the normal conference session schedule?

emv@ox.com (Ed Vielmetti) (05/17/91)

If anyone is organizing a 2d archivist's bof, please let me know so
that I can forward you details of what's going on at MSEN.  I'm on the
one-per-year usenix schedule for a while, sigh.  (Kent?  You going to
be there?)

The first one was reasonably well attended, drew some interesting
discussion, and it would be nice to find someone to take on
coordinating it for the summer usenix.

--
Edward Vielmetti, vice president for research, MSEN Inc. emv@msen.com

"(6) The Plan shall identify how agencies and departments can
collaborate to ... expand efforts to improve, document, and evaluate
unclassified public-domain software developed by federally-funded
researchers and other software, including federally-funded educational
and training software; "
			"High-Performance Computing Act of 1991, S. 272"

kent@sparky.IMD.Sterling.COM (Kent Landfield) (05/21/91)

In article <EMV.91May16185027@poe.aa.ox.com> emv@ox.com (Ed Vielmetti) writes:

>If anyone is organizing a 2d archivist's bof, please let me know so
>that I can forward you details of what's going on at MSEN.  I'm on the
>one-per-year usenix schedule for a while, sigh.  (Kent?  You going to
>be there?)

No sadly I will have to miss it as well...

>The first one was reasonably well attended, drew some interesting
>discussion, and it would be nice to find someone to take on
>coordinating it for the summer usenix.

It did not take much effort to have an enjoyable and interesting evening.
Whoever does the coordination, could you please send me some email as well ?
There are a few things that I would like passed along in my absence. Thanks.

			-Kent+
--
Kent Landfield                   INTERNET: kent@sparky.IMD.Sterling.COM
Sterling Software, IMD           UUCP:     uunet!sparky!kent

emv@msen.com (Ed Vielmetti) (05/26/91)

In article <1991May21.022218.13168@sparky.IMD.Sterling.COM> kent@sparky.IMD.Sterling.COM (Kent Landfield) writes:

   >If anyone is organizing a 2d archivist's bof, please let me know...

   It did not take much effort to have an enjoyable and interesting evening.
   Whoever does the coordination, could you please send me some email as well ?

I've had half a dozen mail messages in response (generally positive to
the idea), but no one to step forward to iron out the details.

The charter of this bof is real simple: talk about matters regarding
internet archives administration, to include but not be limited by

- ftp-by-mail services, their past present and future; or "mail based
  archives servers are Evil and Rude;" hopefully someone from DEC and
  from Princeton will be around, as well as the Toronto-area folks who
  were worst affected.
- cataloging and indexing efforts, including "archie", comp.archives,
  any other efforts going on; the likelihood of actual Federal funding
  for any or all of these endeavors; private enterprise and its role.
- a discussion of the role of archive sites and archivists relative to
  that of formal academic journals; I'd like to hear word from the
  folks who run the Neuroprose archive at Ohio State on that one.
- mechanics of running an archive site - logging ftpd's, caching and
  shadowing software, etc.

The scope of the discussion matches the proposed usenet newsgroup
'comp.archives.admin'; for some reason that group already exists at
this site :) so I've cross-posted there.

What's needed is a time and place at Nashville, an overhead projector
with foils or a whiteboard, someone to take copious quantities of
notes to post to comp.archives.admin, and someone to step forward to
take (minimal) responsibility to do it all.

Have fun in Nashville!

--
Edward Vielmetti, moderator, comp.archives, emv@msen.com