		    Nashville, Tennessee

                MULTIMEDIA FOR NOW AND THE FUTURE

HOTEL REGISTRATION DEADLINE
Monday, May 6, 1991

PRE-REGISTRATION DEADLINE
Monday, May 20, 1991

The brochure containing full information on registration has just been
mailed and members should be receiving it shortly.  Non-members
can receive a brochure by contacting:

                        USENIX Conference Office
                        22672 Lambert St., Suite 613
                        El Toro, CA  92630
                        Telephone # (714) 588-8649
                        FAX # (714) 588-9706
                        email address:  judy@usenix.org

MAKE YOUR HOTEL RESERVATIONS EARLY!  Opryland Hotel and most other
hotels in the area will be SOLD OUT due to the International Country
Music Fan Fair (with the must-see Grand Masters Fiddlers Convention).

We encourage you to reserve your hotel rooms early - BEFORE MAY 6 -
even before you register for the conference.  Rooms will be difficult
to find after the May 6 deadline.  You can cancel your room reservation
up to 3 days prior to your arrival in Nashville and still get a full
refund.

Special rates have been arranged for USENIX attendees at the hotels
listed below.  Call the hotel of your choice DIRECTLY.  BE SURE TO
MENTION that you are attending the USENIX Conference/Exhibition to take
advantage of the group discount.  A one night's deposit is required
for each room reserved.

*Opryland Hotel (Headquarters)
 2800 Opryland Drive, Nashville, TN 37214
 615/889-1000

 "Traditional Room" rates:     Single:  $114	Double:  $129
 "Golden Terrace" room rates:  Single:  $144	Double   $159

*Shoney's Inn of Music Valley (Nearby with shuttle services available)
 2420 Music Valley Drive, Nashville, TN 37214
 615/885-4030

              Room Rates: Single or Double Room:  $84

*Sheraton Music City Hotel
 777 McGavock Pike, Nashville, TN 37214
 615/885-2200

	      Room Rates:  Single or Double Room: $92

TECHNICAL SESSIONS
WEDNESDAY, THURSDAY AND FRIDAY, JUNE 12-14, 1991

WEDNESDAY, JUNE 12

9:00 - 10:00	Introductory Remarks
	Deborah K. Scherrer, mt Xinu Inc.

	KEYNOTE ADDRESS

	Musical Dreams and Musical Reality
	Paul Lansky, Princeton University

	Most of the music we hear either has some computer mediation
        (as in digital recording) or is created with the help of one
	cpu or another (particularly in popular music).  But what is
	only now emerging are ways of reconstructing our fundamental
	views of what music is all about.  Paul Lansky elucidates new
	musical concepts with detailed examples and with reference to
	new hardware and software capabilities.  One of the leading
	composers employing computer music synthesis, Paul Lansky is
	well known also as an author, critic, and theorist of the music
	of the future.

10:30 - 12:30

	A.  FILE SYSTEMS
	Session Chair:  Eric Allman, University of California, Berkeley

	Long-Term Caching Strategies for Very Large Distributed File
	Systems	[Refereed Paper]
	Matt Blaze, Rafael Alonso, Princeton University

	Management of Replicated Volume Location Data in the Ficus
	Replicated File System [Refereed Paper]
	Thomas W. Page, Jr., Richard G. Guy, John Heidemann, Wai
	Mak, Gerald J. Popek, University of California, Los Angeles

	Swift:  A Storage Architecture for Large Objects [Refereed
	Paper] Luis-Felipe Cabrera, IBM Almaden Research Center and
	Darrell D. E. Long, University of California, Santa Cruz

	An Open and Extensible Event-Based Transaction Manager [Refereed
	Paper] Edward C. Cheng, Edward Chang, Johannes Klein, Dora Lee,
	Edward Lu, Alberto Lutgardo, Ron Obermarck, Digital
	Equipment Corporation

10:30 - 12:30

	B.  HYPERMEDIA
	Session Chair:  Sharon Murrel, AT&T Bell Laboratories

	Overview of Hypertext [Invited Talk]
	John J. Puttress, AT&T Bell Laboratories

	Emerging Hypermedia Standards [Refereed Paper]
	Brian D. Markey, Multimedia Engineering, Digital Equipment
	Corporation

	Multimedia Presentation System "Harmony" with Temporal
	and Active Media [Referred Paper]
	Kazutoshi Fujikawa, Shinji Shimojo, Toshio Matsuura, Shojiro
	Nishio, Hideo Miyahara, Osaka University

2:00 - 3:30
	A.  MULTIMEDIA DEMOS
	Session Chair:  Jun Murai, Keio University

	Spacio-Temporal Editing Using Multi-Layered Image
	Synthesis (HDTV) [Multimedia Demo]
	Seiki Inoue, NHK

	DIDDLY:  Digital's Integrated Distributed Database
	LaboratorY [Multimedia Demo]
	Ellen Lary, Database Systems Research, Digital Equipment
	Corporation

2:00 - 3:30
	B.

	Can You Hear What I See:  Cortical Simulation to Cortical
	Symphony [Refereed Paper]
	Matthew Witten, Center for High Performance Computing,
	University of Texas

	UNIX and MIDI for the Masses [Invited Talk]
	Tim Thompson, AT&T Bell Laboratories

4:00 - 5:30

	A.  MULTIMEDIA PUBLISHING I
	Session Chair:  Mike Hawley, MIT Media Lab.

	MediaView:  A Multimedia Publishing System Developed with
	an Object-Oriented Toolkit [Refereed Paper]
	Richard L. Phillips, Los Alamos National Laboratory

	A Structure for Transportable, Dynamic Multimedia
	Documents [Refereed Paper]
	Dick C. A. Bulterman, Guido van Rossum, Robert van Liere,
	OCWI:  Center for Mathematics and Computer Science

	Parsing Movies in Context [Refereed Paper]
	Natalio C. Pincever, Thomas G. Aguierre Smith, Interactive
	Cinema Group, MIT Media Lab

4:00 - 5:30

	B.  MULTIMEDIA DATA RATES AND SYNCHRONIZATION
	Session Chair:  Charles Roberts, Hewlett-Packard

	Distributed Multimedia:  How Can the Necessary Data Rates be
	Supported? [Refereed Paper]
	Michael Pasieka, Information Technology Center,
	Carnegie Mellon University

	Multimedia/Realtime Extensions for the Mach Operating
	System [Refereed Paper]
	Jun Nakajima, Masatomo Yazaki, Hitoshi Matsumoto, Fujitsu
	Laboratories LTD.

	A Testbed for Managing Digital Video and Audio Storage
	[Refereed Paper]
	P. Venkat Rangan, Walter A. Burkhard, Robert W. Bowdidge,
	Harrick M. Vin, John W. Lindwall, Kashun Chan, Ingvar A.
	Aaberg, Linda M. Yamamoto, Ian G. Harris, University of
	California, San Diego

THURSDAY, JUNE 13
9:00 - 10:30
	A.  MULTIMEDIA DEMO
	Session Chair:  Larry Stead, Bellcore

	The IRCAM Musical Workstation [Multimedia Demo]
	Eric Lindemann, IRCAM

9:00 - 10:30

	B.  STRINGS AND THINGS
	Session Chair:  Alan Nemeth, Digital Equipment Corporation

	A String Search Algorithm Generator [Refereed Paper]
	Andrew Hume, AT&T Bell Laboratories
	Daniel Sunday, Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Lab

	SFIO: Safe/Fast String/File IO [Refereed Paper]
	Kiem-Phong Vo, David G. Korn, AT&T Bell Laboratories

	8-1/2, the Plan 9 Window System [Refereed Paper]
	Rob Pike, AT&T Bell Laboratories

11:00 - 12:30

	A.  USER INTERFACE
	Session Chair:  Frances Brazier, Vrije Universiteit

	A Minimalist Global User Interface [Refereed Paper]
	Rob Pike, AT&T Bell Laboratories

	Integrating Gesture Recognition and Direct Manipulation
	[Refereed Paper]
	Dean Rubine, Information Technology Center, Carnegie Mellon
	University

	Activity Server:  you can run but you can't hide
	[Refereed Paper]
	Sanjay Manandhar, MIT Media Lab

11:00 - 12:30

	B.

	From Blazon to PostScript [Invited Talk]
	Daniel V. Klein, Software Engineering Inst., Carnegie Mellon
	University

	The KornShell Past, Present and Future [Invited Talk]
	David G. Korn, AT&T Bell Laboratories

2:00 - 3:30
	A.  MULTIMEDIA DEMO

	Software Technology at NeXT [Multimedia Demo]
	Avadis Tevanian, Trey Matteson, David Jaffee, Bryan
	Yamamoto, NeXT, Inc.

2:00 - 3:30
	B.

	Overview of Motif [Invited Talk]
	Ellis Cohen, Open Software Foundation

4:00 - 5:30

	A.  MULTIMEDIA PUBLISHING II
	Session Chair:  Dan Geer, Digital Equipment Corporation

	Mutable Editors for Multimedia [Refereed Paper]
	Matthew Hodges, Digital Equipment Corporation
	Russell Sasnett, GTE Laboratories

	MAEstro -- A Distributed Multimedia Authoring Environment
	[Refereed Paper]
	George D. Drapeau, Stanford University

	Mass Media and Personal Computing [Refereed Paper]
	Walter Bender, Hakon Lie, Jonathan Orwant, Laura Teodosio,
	Electronic Publishing Group, MIT Media Lab

4:00 - 5:30

	B.  PANEL
	WINDOW PAINS: What are window systems and where are they going?
	How should they support graphics, color and new kinds of input
	devices?  What should be built into the window system?  How
	has early standardization (of frame buffers, pixel representa-
	tion) influenced our ability to design and extend window
	systems?  James Gosling, Jon Steinhart and Rob Pike will be
	among the panelists at your service.

FRIDAY, JUNE 14

9:00 - 10:30
	A.  MULTIMEDIA DEMOS
	Session Chair:  Jeff Peck, Sun Microsystems

	The MIT Media Laboratory [Multimedia Demo]
	Glorianna Davenport, MIT Media Lab

	Integrating Real-Time Video with Sun Workstations
	[Multimedia Demo]
	Jennifer Overholt, Multimedia Group, Sun Microsystems

9:00 - 10:30
	B.
	Scaling Up:  Automating System Administration [Invited Talk]
	Doug Kingston, Morgan Stanley & Co.

11:00 - 12:30
	A.  SYSTEM IMPLICATIONS OF COMPRESSION
	Session Chair:  Gretchen Phillips, State University of New York
	at Buffalo

	Experiences Integrating JPEG-Compressed Video and
	Synchronized Audio in a UNIX Workstation Environment
	[Refereed Paper]
	Bernard I. Szabo, Gregory K. Wallace, Digital Equipment
	Corporation

	Shared Video under UNIX	[Refereed Paper]
	Paul G. Milazzo, BBN Systems and Technologies

	Compressed Executables:  An Exercise in Thinking Small
	[Refereed Paper]
	Mark Taunton, Acorn Computers Ltd.

11:00 - 12:30

	B.
	Networks: Friend or Foe? [Invited Talk]
	Hal Stern, Sun Microsystems

2:00 - 3:30

	A.  AUDIO AND CONFERENCING
	Session Chair:  Tom Duff, AT&T Bell Laboratories

	Experiences with Audio Conferencing Using the X Window
	System, UNIX, and TCP/IP [Refereed Paper]
	Robert Terek, Joseph Pasquale
	University of California, San Diego

	Integrating Audio and Telephony in a Distributed Workstation
	Environment [Refereed Paper]
	Susan Angebranndt, Richard Hyde, Daphne Loung, Nagendra
	Siravara, Digital Equipment Corporation
	Chris Schmandt, MIT Media Lab

	A Brief Overview of the DCS Distributed Conferencing System
	[Refereed Paper]
	R. E. Newman-Wolfe, C. L. Ramirez,  H. Pelimuhandiram,
	D. L. Wilson, M. Webb, University of Florida

2:00 - 3:30
	B.
	C Programming Style [Invited Talk]
	Rob Kolstad, Sun Microsystems

4:00 - 5:30
	A.  PANEL
	Software -- Who Owns Your Work?

	This lively debate will cover intellectual property issues such
        as patent protection of software algorithms, novel copyright
        claims such as look-and-feel, who should own information, who
	should or shouldn't be denied access to it, and who should
	build on it.

4:00 - 5:30
	B.
	Session Chair:  Lisa Bloch, Sun User Group

	Virtual Reality for a Golf Tournament [Multimedia Demo]
	Keishi Kandori, Asahi Broadcasting Co.

	Works-in-Progress

	These reports provide researchers with 10 minutes to speak
	on current work and receive valuable feedback.  Present your
	interim results, novel approaches, or newly-completed work.
	Open to all.  Schedule your session by contacting Sharon
	Murrel or Andrew Hume during the conference.

fuat@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Fuat C. Baran) (04/16/91)

In article <663@usenix.ORG> carolyn@usenix.ORG (Carolyn Carr) writes:
>       	USENIX SUMMER 1991 TECHNICAL CONFERENCE & EXHIBITION
>		    Nashville, Tennessee

>HOTEL REGISTRATION DEADLINE
>Monday, May 6, 1991

I just called Shoney's Inn (the one "across the street" from Opryland
Hotel).  They are all booked for that week.

I don't know if the people planning USENIX were aware of the
"International Country Music Fan Fair" being held at the same time,
when they decided on Nashville as the location, though they do mention
it in the registration packet (which I just received).  Seems to me a
better time/place could have been picked.  Also, did hotels rates
recently increase dramatically, or is it just the Nashville hotels
that are so expensive?

						--Fuat
Internet: fuat@columbia.edu          U.S. MAIL: Columbia University
  BITNET: fuat@cunixc                           Center for Computing Activities
    UUCP: ...!rutgers!columbia!cunixf!fuat      712 Watson Labs, 612 W115th St.
   Phone: (212) 854-5128  Fax: (212) 662-6442   New York, NY 10025

kratz@bnr.ca (Geoff Kratz) (04/16/91)

In article <1991Apr15.232504.26382@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> fuat@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Fuat C. Baran) writes:
>I just called Shoney's Inn (the one "across the street" from Opryland
>Hotel).  They are all booked for that week.

A couple of us tried to get in to the Opryland as well, and its booked
solid.  We did get rooms in the Sheraton, though. (We called in the
reservations Monday or Tuesday of last week).  Better get those
room reservations in now!

Perhaps someone could post a list of other hotels in the area for
those folks who aren't able to get anything in the three listed in
the registration package.
--
Geoff Kratz             Bell-Northern Research, Ltd.           kratz@bnr.ca
(OSI) Open Systems         Ottawa Ontario Canada

hubcap@hubcap.clemson.edu (System Janitor) (04/16/91)

I just called the Opryland, and they told me there was no problem, lots
of rooms left...

-Mike

de5@ornl.gov (Dave Sill) (04/16/91)

In article <1991Apr16.133952.20569@hubcap.clemson.edu>, hubcap@hubcap.clemson.edu (System Janitor) writes:

>I just called the Opryland, and they told me there was no problem, lots
>of rooms left...

Doesn't Usenix get a block of rooms reserved?  Maybe Geoff & friends
forgot to mention they were going to be there for the conference.
Can anyone at usenix.com give a definitive answer?

--
Dave Sill (de5@ornl.gov)	  It will be a great day when our schools have
Martin Marietta Energy Systems    all the money they need and the Air Force

sgf@cfm.brown.edu (Sam Fulcomer) (04/16/91)

In article <1991Apr16.120732.13805@bwdls61.bnr.ca> kratz@bnr.ca (Geoff Kratz) writes:

>A couple of us tried to get in to the Opryland as well, and its booked
>solid.  We did get rooms in the Sheraton, though. (We called in the

After seeing that I thought I ought to try to get a room, and had no problem at
the Opryland (with choice of "traditional" or "terrace" for all week).

-s

kratz@bnr.ca (Geoff Kratz) (04/17/91)

In article <1991Apr16.154836.13590@cs.utk.edu> Dave Sill <de5@ornl.gov> writes:
>Doesn't Usenix get a block of rooms reserved?  Maybe Geoff & friends
>forgot to mention they were going to be there for the conference.
>Can anyone at usenix.com give a definitive answer?

I'm glad I followed up!  We're going to try again, and this time call
directly (our travel agent probably messed up/didn't know/something).
--

In article <1991Apr16.190826.21433@bwdls61.bnr.ca> kratz@bnr.ca (Geoff Kratz) writes:
>In article <1991Apr16.154836.13590@cs.utk.edu> Dave Sill <de5@ornl.gov> writes:
>>Doesn't Usenix get a block of rooms reserved?  Maybe Geoff & friends
>>forgot to mention they were going to be there for the conference.
>>Can anyone at usenix.com give a definitive answer?
>
>I'm glad I followed up!  We're going to try again, and this time call
>directly (our travel agent probably messed up/didn't know/something).

Alright, we got in!  Dave was right: you really should mention that
you are attending the conference.  Our travel agent was told to do
this, but forgot/didn't: thus, they got the "no rooms" reponse. Tell
'em why your reserving, and there should be no problems (unless of
course they really are full :-).
--

dricejb@drilex.UUCP (Craig Jackson drilex1) (04/17/91)

In article <1991Apr15.232504.26382@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> fuat@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Fuat C. Baran) writes:

>>HOTEL REGISTRATION DEADLINE
>>Monday, May 6, 1991
>
>I just called Shoney's Inn (the one "across the street" from Opryland
>Hotel).  They are all booked for that week.
>
>I don't know if the people planning USENIX were aware of the
>"International Country Music Fan Fair" being held at the same time,
>when they decided on Nashville as the location, though they do mention
>it in the registration packet (which I just received).  Seems to me a
>better time/place could have been picked.  Also, did hotels rates
>recently increase dramatically, or is it just the Nashville hotels
>that are so expensive?

I was in Nashville for a conference at the Opryland last October, and
found that there are about a dozen cheap motels outside the gate
of the Opryland hotel.  The Shoney's is just one of them.
I paid $36/night at a place that used to be a Best Western.  It wasn't
great, but it beat $100+ at the Opryland.  It was about 1/2 mile walk.
I believe that it was on Music Center Drive.

I don't remember all the names, but their was a Ramada, and something
with International in the name.

Note that it's about 1/4 mile walk from the Opryland Hotel to the street.
They've got thoroughbreds grazing alongside the entrance road.

BTW, the food is cheap outside the Opryland, too.  The Shoney's has a
great breakfast buffet.  Deep-fried French toast--absolutely sinful.
Plus a lot of other decent Southern cooking.

Note: I was there out season, when Opryland was only open on weekends.
Undoubtedly things will be pricier in June; in addition, expect
lots of kids.

Opryland itself is a decent amusement park, with lots of water rides.
The entrance reminded me a bit of Tivoli in Copenhagen.

Of course, all true fans should be there for the Opry on Saturday night.
Shows are at 6:30 and 9:00; you had better call now to get tickets.

--
Craig Jackson
dricejb@drilex.dri.mgh.com

bfreeman@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (Elisabeth Freeman) (04/18/91)

>In article <1991Apr15.232504.26382@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> fuat@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Fuat C. Baran) writes:
>>
>>>HOTEL REGISTRATION DEADLINE
>>>Monday, May 6, 1991
>>
>>I just called Shoney's Inn (the one "across the street" from Opryland
>>Hotel).  They are all booked for that week.

I called Shoney's yesterday and was told they were all booked. I talked
only to the lady who answered the phone and did mention USENIX.  I
called back today and asked to speak to reservations, spelled out
U-S-E-N-I-X (guess they couldn't understand my northern accent), and
there *are* rooms left for us.  So try again, if they say no ask for
reservations and speak clearly. :-)

Beth

Elisabeth M. Freeman                          bfreeman@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu

carolyn@usenix.ORG (Carolyn Carr) (06/06/91)

       	USENIX SUMMER 1991 TECHNICAL CONFERENCE & EXHIBITION
	             Nashville, Tennessee

                MULTIMEDIA FOR NOW AND THE FUTURE

            *** ON SITE REGISTRATION IS ENCOURAGED ***

For Registration and Hotel Information contact:

[...]

TUTORIAL PROGRAM
Monday and Tuesday, June 10 & 11

M1
Programming in Perl
Instructor:     Tom Christiansen, CONVEX Computer Corporation

INTENDED AUDIENCE: This tutorial is designed for programmers who
do substantial amounts of shell programming.  It is especially suited
for system administrators in a heterogeneous environment.  Some
experience in sh, sed, awk, or the C language is assumed.

M2
An Introduction to the TCP/IP Protocol Suite
Instructor:     Richard Stevens, Consultant

INTENDED AUDIENCE:  This tutorial is for UNIX users and
programmers interested in learning about the TCP/IP protocol suite.
No networking knowledge is assumed.

M3
An Introduction to C++
Instructor:    Robert Murray, AT&T Bell Laboratories

INTENDED AUDIENCE:  The audience is assumed to be technical (as
opposed to managerial).  A fairly complete knowledge of C is
assumed.  Knowledge of object-oriented programming or data
abstraction is not required.

M4
UNIX System V Release 4.0 Internals Part I:  Virtual Memory and
File Systems
Instructors:   Steve Buroff, AT&T and Mike Scheer, ProLogic
Corporation.

INTENDED AUDIENCE:  This tutorial is intended for people who
maintain, modify, or port the UNIX system or who are interested in
learning about its internals.  Attendees should have a good working
knowledge of UNIX applications programming and the C language;
those with knowledge of UNIX internals will particularly benefit from
the focus on new and changed features of Release 4.

M5
Programming the X Window System, Version 11
Instructor:     Oliver Jones, Saber Software, Inc.

INTENDED AUDIENCE:  This tutorial is for software developers and
other people interested in UNIX-based graphical user interfaces who
are beginning the process of learning to program using the X Window
System.  A working knowledge of UNIX and the C programming
language are the only prerequisites.

M6  NEW!
An Introduction to UNIX System Security
Instructor:     Matt Bishop, Dartmouth College

INTENDED AUDIENCE:  This new tutorial is intended for UNIX users
and system administrators who are concerned about system security;
no knowledge of UNIX security features is assumed.

M7  NEW!
UNIX Programming Tools
Instructor:     Kenneth Ingham, Consultant

INTENDED AUDIENCE:  This new tutorial is aimed at programmers
familiar with basic Unix topics, and preferably those who are familiar
with the C programming language.

M8  NEW!
OSF/1 Internals
Instructor:     Thomas W. Doeppner Jr., Brown University

INTENDED AUDIENCE:  This new tutorial benefits the individual who
is involved with porting or supporting the OSF/1 operating system,
as well as those who are simply interested in what the OSF/1 kernel
is all about.  It assumes a general knowledge of how UNIX systems
are organized and some previous exposure to UNIX internals (such as
an earlier USENIX tutorial on UNIX internals).

M9
Mach Overview
Instructor:    Avadis Tevanian, Jr., NeXT, Inc.

INTENDED AUDIENCE:  This tutorial is of interest to a wide range of
people, from those working closely with Mach to those who would
just like to find out more about Mach and its internals.  People
interested in doing a port of Mach will find the tutorial especially
useful.

T1 - FILLED
Advanced Topics in Systems Administration
Instructors:    Evi Nemeth, University of Colorado and Rob Kolstad,
Sun Microsystems

INTENDED AUDIENCE:  System administrators in networked
computing environments.  The ever-popular Nemeth and Kolstad
Systems Administration tutorials almost always sell out.  Preregister
early.

T2
UNIX Network Programming
Instructor:     Richard Stevens, Consultant

INTENDED AUDIENCE:  UNIX/C programmers interested in learning
how to write programs that communicate across a network.  A basic
familiarity with networking concepts and the TCP/IP protocols is
assumed.

T3
C++ Programming Style
Instructor:     Tom Cargill, Consultant

INTENDED AUDIENCE:  Programmers who are starting to program in
C++ or have a reading knowledge and are looking for guidance on
how to use C++ features in practice.  Knowledge of C++ language basics
is assumed.  Advanced language features are clarified as needed.
The material is code intensive, for programmers who like to read and
understand programs.

T4
UNIX System V Release 4.0 Internals 2 Part II:  Streams I/O and
Process Management
Instructors:    Mike Scheer, ProLogic and Steve Buroff, AT&T

INTENDED AUDIENCE:  Attendees should have attended "UNIX System
V Release 4.0 Internals Part I:  Virtual Memory and File Systems,"
or have equivalent knowledge.  This is a newly revised tutorial and a
source license is not required.

T5
Introduction to Programming With the X Toolkit Intrinsics
Instructor:    Paul Kimball, Digital Equipment Corporation

INTENDED AUDIENCE:  Programmers who are new to X Toolkits, or
interested end-users who want a better understanding of the
technology.  Attendees should have a good working knowledge of the
X Window System Architecture, including the Xlib programming
interface, or should attend the X Window System Tutorial. For the
more advanced material, a good understanding of C language syntax
and structures is required.

T6
Network Security: The Kerberos Approach
Instructors:    Dan Geer, DEC and Jon A. Rochlis, MIT

INTENDED AUDIENCE:  Systems developers responsible for networked
workstation environments, particularly those whose environments
may include networks which are not themselves physically secure
(i.e., "open" networks).  Systems managers concerned about the
inherent lack of security for managing today's network-based
environments (e.g., UNIX's .rhosts files).

T7 NEW!
Introduction to Hypertext Systems and Hypermedia Applications
Instructor:     Paul Kahn, Brown University

INTENDED AUDIENCE:   This new tutorial assumes no previous
experience with hypertext or hypermedia software. It is for
managers, end-users, and software engineers interested in
understanding hypermedia concepts and applying hypermedia
software solutions in their work.

T8
The Network Computing System (OSF/DCE Remote Procedure Call)
Instructors:    Nathaniel Mishkin and Paul J. Leach, Hewlett-Packard;
Richard Mackey, Open Software Foundation

INTENDED AUDIENCE:  No prior knowledge about distributed
computing will be assumed.  A  knowledge of general networking
issues will be helpful.  The tutorial should give attendees a good
overall sense of what NCA/NCS is and how one writes applications
using NCS.

T9
New Kernel Facilities in 4.3BSD-Reno
Instructors:       Marshall Kirk McKusick and Michael J. Karels,
University of California, Berkeley

INTENDED AUDIENCE:  This tutorial is directed to systems
programmers that have taken a tutorial on 4.3 internals or who have
had at least a year of experience working on the 4.3 kernel.  No
source license is required for this tutorial.

For information on registration and hotel, please contact:

                        USENIX Conference Office
                        22672 Lambert St., Suite 613
                        El Toro, CA  92630
                        Telephone # (714) 588-8649
                        FAX # (714) 588-9706
                        email address:  judy@usenix.org

                          USENIX SUMMER 1991
                  TECHNICAL CONFERENCE & EXHIBITION
                       **TECHNICAL SESSIONS**

                          June 12 - 14

			Nashville, Tennessee

            *** ON SITE REGISTRATION IS ENCOURAGED ***

Note that, due to difficulties in scheduling the audio/visual equipment,
there have been some adjustments to the original schedule.   We have
tried to keep changes to a minimum, and do apologize for any
difficulties this may cause.

Also note that the program includes refereed papers, "invited
presentations" (i.e.  interactive worksessions, minitutorials, etc.),
and multimedia demos.

	WEDNESDAY, JUNE 12

Wed 9 - 10  		PLENARY SESSION
	Introductory Remarks
	Deborah K. Scherrer, mt Xinu

	KEYNOTE ADDRESS: Musical Dreams and Musical Reality
	Paul Lansky, Princeton University

Wed 10:30 - 12:30	A.  FILE SYSTEMS
	Long-Term Caching Strategies for Very Large Distributed File
	Systems
	Matt Blaze, Rafael Alonso, Princeton University

	Management of Replicated Volume Location Data in the Ficus
	Replicated File System
	Thomas W. Page, Jr., Richard G. Guy, John S. Heidemann,
	Gerald J. Popek, Wai Mak, Dieter Rothmeier
	University of California, Los Angeles

	Exploiting Multiple I/O Streams to Provide High Data-Rates
	Luis-Felipe Cabrera, IBM Almaden Research Center and
	Darrell D. E. Long, University of California, Santa Cruz

	An Open and Extensible Event-Based Transaction Manager
	Edward C. Cheng, Edward Chang, Johannes Klein, Dora Lee,
	Edward Lu, Alberto Lutgardo, Ron Obermarck
	Digital Equipment Corporation

Wed 10:30 - 12:30 	B.  HYPERMEDIA
	Overview of Hypertext  ["invited talk"]
	John J. Puttress, AT&T Bell Laboratories

	Emerging Hypermedia Standards -
	Hypermedia Marketplace Prepares for HyTime and MHEG
	Brian D. Markey, Multimedia Engineering, Digital Equipment
	Corporation

	Multimedia Presentation System "Harmony" with Temporal
	and Active Media
	Kazutoshi Fujikawa, Shinji Shimojo, Toshio Matsuura, Shojiro
	Nishio, Hideo Miyahara, Osaka University

Wed 2:00 - 3:30	 	A.  MULTIMEDIA DEMOS
	Spacio-Temporal Editing Using Multi-Layered Image
	Synthesis (HDTV)
	Seiki Inoue, Masahiro Shibata,  NHK

	DIDDLY:  Digital's Integrated Distributed Database
	LaboratorY
	David B. Wecker, Database Systems Research, Digital Equipment
	Corporation

Wed 2:00 - 3:30 	B.  MULTIMEDIA DATA RATES AND SYNCHRONIZATION
	Distributed Multimedia:  How Can the Necessary Data Rates be
	Supported?
	Michael Pasieka, Paul Crumley, Ann Marks, Ann Infortuna
	Information Technology Center, Carnegie Mellon University

	Multimedia/Realtime Extensions for the Mach Operating
	System
	Jun Nakajima, Masatomo Yazaki, Hitoshi Matsumoto
	Human Interface Laboratory, Fujitsu Laboratories, LTD.

	A Testbed for Managing Digital Video and Audio Storage
	P. Venkat Rangan, Walter A. Burkhard, Robert W. Bowdidge,
	Harrick M. Vin, John W. Lindwall, Kashun Chan, Ingvar A.
	Aaberg, Linda M. Yamamoto, Ian G. Harris
	University of California, San Diego

Wed 4:00 - 5:30
	Neural Orchestration:  From Cortical Simulation to Cortical
	Symphony
	Matthew Witten, Robert E. Wyatt, University of Texas at Austin

	UNIX and MIDI for the Masses	["invited talk"]
	Tim Thompson, AT&T Bell Laboratories

Wed 4:00 - 5:30 	A.  MULTIMEDIA PUBLISHING I
	MAEstro -- A Distributed Multimedia Authoring Environment
	George D. Drapeau, Stanford University
	Howard Greenfield, Sun Microsystems

	A Structure for Transportable, Dynamic Multimedia Documents
	Dick C. A. Bulterman, Guido van Rossum, Robert van Liere,
	CWI:  Centrum voor Wiskunde en Informatica

	Parsing Movies in Context
	Thomas G. Aguierre Smith, Natalio C. Pincever
	Interactive Cinema Group, The Media Lab, MIT

THURSDAY, JUNE 13

Thurs 9:00 - 10:30 	A.  MULTIMEDIA DEMO
	The Architecture of the IRCAM Musical Workstation
	Eric Lindemann, Miller Puckette, Eric Viara, Maurizio De Cecco,
	Francois Dechelle, Bennett Smith
	Institut de Recherche et Coordination of Acoustique/Musique
	(IRCAM)

Thurs 9:00 - 10:30	B.  STRINGS AND THINGS
	Fast String Searching
	Andrew Hume, AT&T Bell Laboratories
	Daniel Sunday, Johns Hopkins University

	SFIO: Safe/Fast String/File IO
	David G. Korn, K.-Phong Vo
	AT&T Bell Laboratories

	Activity Server:  You can run but you can't hide
	Sanjay Manandhar, MIT Media Lab

Thurs 11:00 - 12:30 	A.  USER INTERFACE
	8-1/2, the Plan 9 Window System
	Rob Pike, AT&T Bell Laboratories

	Integrating Gesture Recognition and Direct Manipulation
	Dean Rubine, Information Technology Center, Carnegie Mellon
	University

	A Minimalist Global User Interface
	Rob Pike, AT&T Bell Laboratories

Thurs 11:00 - 12:30 	B. ["invited talks"]
	From Blazon to PostScript
	Daniel V. Klein, Software Engineering Inst., Carnegie Mellon
	University

	The KornShell Past, Present and Future
	David G. Korn, AT&T Bell Laboratories

Thurs 2:00 - 3:30 	A.  MULTIMEDIA DEMO
	Software Technology at NeXT
	Avadis Tevanian, Trey Matteson, David Jaffe, Bryan
	Yamamoto, NeXT, Inc.

Thurs 2:00 - 3:30 	B. ["invited talk"]
	Overview of Motif
	Ellis Cohen, Open Software Foundation

Thurs 4:00 - 5:30 	A.  MULTIMEDIA PUBLISHING II
	Plastic Editors for Multimedia Documents
	Matthew E. Hodges, Digital Equipment Corporation
	Russell M. Sasnett, GTE Laboratories Inc.

	MediaView:  An Editable Multimedia Publishing System
	Developed with an Object-Oriented Toolkit
	Richard L. Phillips, Los Alamos National Laboratory

	Newspace: Mass Media and Personal Computing
	Walter Bender, Hakon Lie, Jonathan Orwant,
	Laura Teodosio, Nathan Abramson
	Electronic Publishing Group, MIT Media Lab

Thurs 4:00 - 5:30 	B.  ["invited panel"]
	WINDOW PAINS
	Moderator:  Jon Steinhart, Consultant
	Panelists:  James Goslind, Sun Microsystems
		    Kee Hinckley, Alfalfa Software
		    Mark Linton, Stanford University
		    Rob Pike, AT&T Bell Laboratories

FRIDAY, JUNE 14

Fri 9:00 - 10:30 	A.  MULTIMEDIA DEMOS
	The MIT Media Laboratory
	Glorianna Davenport, MIT Media Lab

	Integrating Real-Time Video with Sun Workstations
	Jennifer Overholt, Dave Berry, Sun Microsystems

Fri 9:00 - 10:30 	B. ["invited talk"]
	Scaling Up:  Automating System Administration
	Doug Kingston, Morgan Stanley & Co.

Fri 11:00 - 12:30 	A.  SYSTEM IMPLICATIONS OF COMPRESSION
	Design Considerations for JPEG Video and
	Synchronized Audio in a UNIX Workstation Environment
	Bernard I. Szabo, Gregory K. Wallace, Digital Equipment
	Corporation

	Shared Video under UNIX
	Paul G. Milazzo, BBN Systems and Technologies

	Compressed Executables:  An Exercise in Thinking Small
	Mark Taunton, Acorn Computers Ltd.

Fri 11:00 - 12:30 	B. ["invited talk"]
	Networks: Friend or Foe?
	Hal Stern, Sun Microsystems

Fri 2:00 - 3:30 	A.  AUDIO AND CONFERENCING
	Experiences with Audio Conferencing Using the X Window
	System, UNIX, and TCP/IP
	Robert Terek, Joseph Pasquale
	University of California, San Diego

	Integrating Audio and Telephony in a Distributed Workstation
	Environment
	Susan Angebranndt, Richard L. Hyde, Daphne Huetu Loung
	Nagendra Siravara, Digital Equipment Corporation
	Chris Schmandt, MIT Media Lab

	A Brief Overview of the DCS Distributed Conferencing System
	R. E. Newman-Wolfe, C. L. Ramirez,  H. Pelimuhandiram,
	M. Montes, M. Webb, D. L. Wilson, University of Florida

Fri 2:00 - 3:30 	B. ["invited talk"]
	C Programming Style
	Rob Kolstad, Sun Microsystems

Fri 4:00 - 5:30 	A.  PANEL (refereed)
	Software and Intellectual Property -- Who Owns Your Work?
	Organizer:  Dan Geer, Digital Equipment Corp.
	Moderator:  Rob Kolstad, Sun Microsystems
	Panelists:  Dan Appelman, Attorney, Heller, Ehrman, White &
		    McAuliffe
		    Barry Shein, an independent software developer
		    Glen Self, Vice President of Research & Development,
                               EDS
		    Jack Biddle, President, Computers & Communications
		   		 Industry Assoc

Fri 4:00 - 5:30 	B.  MULTIMEDIA DEMO and WIPs
	A Workstation-based Multi-media Environment for Broadcast
	Television
	Keishi Kandori, Asahi Broadcasting Corporation

	Works-in-Progress

For REGISTRATION and HOTEL INFORMATION please contact: