[comp.org.usenix] weather

torek@elf.ee.lbl.gov (Chris Torek) (06/10/91)

In article <34953@ucsd.Edu> brian@ucsd.Edu (Brian Kantor) writes:
>The last time I was in Nashville around this season of the year, the
>humidity was so high that the walls in my hotel room were sweating, the
>sidewalks were flooded with runoff from air conditioners, and the
>mosquitos were quite large enough to carry off small pets.

Ah, wonderful east-coastish summer weather!

Seriously, you can expect it to be hot and muggy all day until the
afternoon/evening thunderstorm makes it hot and wet instead.  After
each storm it stays cool and muggy for about 15 minutes. :-)

An ex-east-coaster,
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Lawrence Berkeley Lab CSE/EE (+1 415 486 5427)
Berkeley, CA		Domain:	torek@ee.lbl.gov

pataky@tove.cs.umd.edu (Bill Pataky) (06/11/91)

Today's tutorials in the ballroom, and the lunch areas were *really* cold.
Hopefully it will be warmer the rest of the week, but bring a sweatshirt
anyway.

	Bill Pataky
	domain:	pataky@itd.nrl.navy.mil		     voice: 202.404.8355
	path: 	..!uunet!itd.nrl.navy.mil!pataky     fax:   202.404.7942

mab@duvel.princeton.edu (Matt Blaze) (06/11/91)

pataky@tove.cs.umd.edu (Bill Pataky) writes:

>Today's tutorials in the ballroom, and the lunch areas were *really* cold.
>Hopefully it will be warmer the rest of the week, but bring a sweatshirt
>anyway.

Yeah, that's for sure.  Also, the housekeeping people have this
interesting habit of turning the a/c to 50 degrees when they make
up the bed.

The logic seems to be that since it's 90 outside, making it 50 inside
gives you an average temp of 70...

In article <35440@mimsy.umd.edu> pataky@tove.cs.umd.edu (Bill Pataky) writes:
>Today's tutorials in the ballroom, and the lunch areas were *really* cold.

This is a permanent problem.  The hotels set their thermostats for worst-case
numbers of people wearing nice warm three-piece suits.
--
"We're thinking about upgrading from    | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
SunOS 4.1.1 to SunOS 3.5."              |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry

avolio@decuac.DEC.COM (Frederick M. Avolio) (06/12/91)

This is funny.  People in the same city at the same conference using
a worldwide network to talk about the temperature in the meeting rooms.
It's hot and humid in DC.... :-)

smith@wallaby.mrc.uidaho.edu (06/12/91)

In article <1991Jun11.170011.18984@decuac.dec.com> avolio@decuac.DEC.COM (Frederick M. Avolio) writes:
>This is funny.  People in the same city at the same conference using
>a worldwide network to talk about the temperature in the meeting rooms.

And heres wath the National Weather Service has to say

NATN-NASHVILLE METROPOLITAN AREA FORECAST
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NASHVILLE TN
415 PM CDT TUE JUN 11 1991

 TONIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A GOOD CHANCE OF SHOWERS...SOME
POSSIBLY WITH THUNDER.  LOW NEAR 70.  WIND SOUTH 5 TO 10 MPH.
CHANCE OF RAIN 50 PERCENT.

 WEDNESDAY...SCATTERED THUNDERSTOMRS.  HIGH IN THE MID 80S.  SOUTHWEST
WIND 10 MPH.  CHANCE OF RAIN 50 PERCENT.

 WEDNESDAY NIGHT...A 30 PERCENT CHANCE OF SHOWERS.   LOW NEAR 70.

 THURSDAY...PARTLY CLOUDY WITH A 30 PERCENT CHANCE OF SHOWERS.
HIGH IN THE UPPER 80S.

-----------------------------
William Smith
Microelectronics Research Center
University of Idaho
Moscow, ID  83843
E-mail:   wsmith@groucho.mrc.uidaho.edu

geer@crl.dec.com (Dan Geer) (06/22/91)

> The logic seems to be that since it's 90 outside, making it 50 inside
> gives you an average temp of 70...

this is a feature all over the south - make it colder
indoors in summer than in winter...

--dan