[comp.edu] Teaching Structured on unstructured FORTRAN

ed298-ak@violet.berkeley.edu (Edouard Lagache) (06/02/87)

In article <8253@bu-cs.BU.EDU> bzs@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) writes:
    (Much deleted)

>They'll pick up the F88 quick enough when it starts to creep into
>their environment, ......................... (Much deleted)

	I am not very optimistic about getting people to use structured
	constructs once they have spent many years not using them.  Our
	classes already have some problems getting BASIC students to learn
	to use Pascal properly, and we have a real problem with students
	trying to use a Pascal style in "C".  In my opinion the conversion
	the other way is trivial.  Once someone learns an F88 style of
	FORTRAN, patching one's code to run under F77 is simple (and we
	provide instructions on how to it this).

	Unfortunately, running F77 programs on F88 will be probably simpler
	since the standards will be as upwardly compatible as possible.
	While this compatiblity is designed to port programs between the
	two standards, it has the unpleasent side effect of permiting
	programmers to be ported between the two standards without any
	retraining.

	I hate to say it, but there are FORTRAN programmers out there that
	still limit themselves to the 66 standard.  Unless we force people
	to invest some time into structured programming, they will never be
	able to compare the two styles, and thus will never see the benefits
	that we see as obvious.  While our teaching of a non-standard FORTRAN
	might seem cruel at first, in the end the student is far more open
	and well rounded as to what computer programming is all about.

					Edouard Lagache
					School of Education
					U.C. Berkeley
					lagache@violet.berkeley.edu