[comp.edu] Wang Institute

mash@mips.UUCP (06/07/87)

In article <94@spdcc.COM> dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) writes:
>>In some cases, a good path is to do an MS CMPSC, work for a few years,
>>then do something like the Wang Institute software engineering program.
>
>"Something like" is indeed the word.  For those of you who haven't heard
>it, the Wang Institute is officially defunct as of last month.....

This is very depressing.

I've passed by much of this discussion, having been away, but it seems
to me that there is:
	a) computer science
	b) software engineering
and many of the discussions have confused the two, both of which are
important, just like both physics and EE are important.
The W.I. program was one of the few (if not only) higher degree programs geared
to software engineering, rather than being a CS program with occasional
software engineering.  Most teaching of software engineering in universities
(at the undergrad level, anyway) occurs mostly because a few teachers believe
it's important and slip it in, although at least some places do have a few
courses dedicated to it.  [It's difficult and expensive to teach at school.]
It's not surprising that people get confused: computer science and
software engineering aren't the same [and shouldn't be].

Again, it is very sad that the Insititute is defunct.
UUCP: 	{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!decwrl!mips!mash, DDD:  	408-720-1700, x253