[comp.edu] Software engineering schools

peterl@alberta.UUCP (06/09/87)

Can someone supply me with some pointers regarding software engineering
grad schools?
Specifically,
1.  What are the good schools out there?  Why are they good?
2.  What are some of the things I should look for in general in choosing
such school?
3.  Length of study for a Ph.D. in software eng.?
4.  Anything you think is important for me to know.

bxd@arthur.cs.purdue.edu (Buster Dunsmore) (06/20/87)

 > From: peterl@alberta.UUCP (Jian Rong Liang)
 > Subject: Software engineering schools
 > Date: 9 Jun 87 16:45:51 GMT

 > Can someone supply me with some pointers regarding software engineering
 > grad schools?

The Department of Computer Sciences, Purdue University, West Lafayette,
Indiana 47907 is a good place for MS or PhD work in software engineering.
There are 8-10 faculty members who do research directly in software
engineering areas or in closely tangential areas.  There are courses in
software engineering, metrics and models, knowledge-based systems,
information systems, etc.  It takes 3-5 years to get a PhD in Computer
Science at Purdue.

In addition, Purdue University and the University of Florida have
established, with the support of the National Science Foundation, the
Software Engineering Research Center (SERC).  The Center, which has several
industrial sponsors, began operation in October, 1986.

In August, 1987, Richard DeMillo (``Software Testing and Evaluation'')
joins the Purdue faculty and will become co-director of the Center.
DeMillo is currently a Professor of Information and Computer Sciences at
Georgia Tech.

Through the Software Engineering Research Center, research is being
conducted at Purdue in these areas:

1.  Large Scale Software Cost Estimation.  Creating and validating metrics
    and models for software size and cost estimation that can be used for
    large projects developed by programming teams.  Currently investigating
    the function point approach to size and cost estimation.

2.  Software Engineering Environment Systems (SEES).  Evaluating Computer
    Assisted Software Engineering (CASE) systems.  Investigating those
    functions that should be included but that are missing from available
    systems.  Exploring how these functions can be provided by hybrid
    systems, stand-alone systems, or by tools added to existing systems.

3.  Software Parts Technology.  Exploring the possibilities of developing
    an editor-based, intelligent library access system for reusable code.

For more information contact Dr. H. E. Dunsmore, Associate Professor,
    dunsmore@purdue.edu, (317) 494-1996.