[comp.edu] Ph.D granting CS Departments

skiena@uiucdcsp.UUCP (06/10/87)

	What follows is a list of all the Ph. D. granting computer science
departments and their chairmen.  It is courtesy of Laurence Leff at
convex!smu!leff.  Some of the chairmen and departments may be slightly
out of date, but that is inevitable in this fast pased world we live
in.  I would be interested in hearing about any changes, additions,
or deletions.

	- Steven Skiena,  University of Illinois - Urbana
	  {ihnp4,pur-ee,convex}!uiucdcs!skiena   skiena%uiuc@csnet-relay.arpa

alberta               Prof. White
arizona               Prof. Hanson
asu                   Prof. Lewis
austin                Prof. Chandy
batonrouge            Dr. Kraft
boston                Prof. Friedman
brooklyn              Prof. Beckman
brown                 Sir
buffalo               Prof. Shapiro
calgary               Prof. Hill
caltech               Prof. Martin
clemson               Prof. Turner
cmu                   Prof. Habermann
columbia              Prof. Traub
concordia             Prof. Suen
cornell               Prof. Gries
csu                   Prof. Kelman
cwru                  Prof. Way
florida               Prof. Elliot
fsu                   Prof. Kandel
git                   Prof. Miller
harvard               Prof. Lewis
houston               Prof. King
iit                   Prof. Carlson
illinois              Ms. Carpenter
indiana               Prof. Robertson
isu                   Prof. Strawn
kent                  Dr. Stackelberg
kentucky              Prof. Wells
ksu                   Prof. Wallentine
lsu                   Prof. Rudd
manitoba              Prof. Stanton
maryland              Prof. Basili
mcgill                Ms. Picoulas
missouri              Prof. DeKock
missstate             Prof. Carter
mit                   Prof. Corbato
mit1                  Dr. Henderson
montreal              Prof. Stewart
msu                   Ms. Minott
nebraska              Prof. Keller
nmsu                  Prof. Gabrini
nmu                   Prof. Staveley
northdakota           Prof. Magel
northeastern          Sirs
northwestern          Prof. Yau
ntsu1                 Dr. Poirot
nyu                   Prof. Widlund
ogc                   Prof. Kieburtz
oksu                  Prof. Fisher
oregon                Prof. Luks
orsu                  Prof. Tonge
osu                   Prof.
osux                  Ms. Earley
pennsylvania          Prof. Buneman
pittsburgh            Ms. Fisher
princeton             Prof. Arden
psu                   Prof. Lambert
purdue                Prof. Rice
riacs                 Dr. Denning
rice                  Dr. Kennedy
rochester             Prof. Brown
rpi                   Prof. Flarity
sfu                   Mr. Cercon
smu                   Dr. Yun
stanford              Ms. Larson
stony                 Ms. German
sunyb                 Ms. Krach
tamu                  Prof. McCormick
tech                  Prof. Hagler
temple                Prof. Stafford
toronto               Prof. Borodin
tulane                Prof. Hassell
uab                   Prof. Jones
ubc                   Prof. Varab
uc                    Prof. Osterweil
ucb                   Diana Barclay
ucd                   Prof. Wooten
ucd1                  Prof. Walters
ucf                   Prof. Cottrell
uci                   Ms. Rose
ucla                  Prof. Avizienis
uconn                 Prof. Booth
ucsb                  Prof. Rhodes
ucsc                  Prof. Tanner
udel                  Prof. Caviness
uiowa                 Prof. Fleck
ukansas               Prof. Bulgren
umass                 Prof. Riseman
umbc                  Dr. Lomonaco
umich                 Prof. Frieder
uminn                 Prof. Maly
unc                   Prof. Stant
unm                   Ms. Clause
uo                    Prof. Kahng
usc                   Prof. Bekey
usca                  Prof. Bezdek
usf                   Prof. Garcia
usl                   Prof. Walker
uta                   Dr. Carroll
utah                  Prof. Riesenfeld
utd                   Dr. Ntafos
vanderbilt            Prof. Fisher
virginia              Prof. Weaver
vpi                   Prof. Allison
washington            Prof. Young
waterloo              Prof. Simpson
wayne                 Prof. Zeigler
wisconsin             Prof. Meyer
wright                Dr. Crum
wsu                   Ms. Harbour
yale                  Prof. Shank

mab@riacs.edu (Matt Bishop) (06/11/87)

In article <82400005@uiucdcsp>, skiena@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

> 	What follows is a list of all the Ph. D. granting computer science
> departments and their chairmen.  ...  I would be interested in hearing
> about any changes, additions, or deletions.
>

> riacs                 Dr. Denning

   Thanks for the compliment, but we're a non-degree-granting institution.
Never was.  We're a research/educational institute run by USRA and work
with NASA on computer research.)  What probably confused the list compiler
was that Peter Denning used to be the chairman at Purdue before he came here.

--
Matt Bishop	mab@riacs.edu	{decvax!decwrl,ihnp4!ames}!riacs!mab

john@xanth.UUCP (06/15/87)

In article <1562@uvacs.CS.VIRGINIA.EDU>, dam@uvacs.CS.VIRGINIA.EDU
(Dave Montuori) writes:
> Additions that I know of: Old Dominion U. (small program) -
>    UUCP site name xanth == odu.CSNET
> but I don't know who the chairman is. Help from Norfolk?

Old Dominion University has a growing Ph.D. program; we currently
offer a "Doctor of Philosophy-Computer Science Emphasis", to be
renamed "Doctor of Philosophy in Computer Science" in 1988.  The
chairman is Dr. Kurt Maly <maly@odu.edu>, and our network addresses
are ODU.EDU (via CSNET), or, if you must, xanth.UUCP.

(If anyone is interested in our wonderful new color brochure, just
call the department at 804 440 3915.)

--
John Owens		Old Dominion University - Norfolk, Virginia, USA
john@ODU.EDU		old arpa: john%odu.edu@RELAY.CS.NET

skiena@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu (06/18/87)

	I have been receiving a tremendous amount of updates to the list
of Ph.D granting CS departments posted earlier.  I posted the list for
someone else and didn't look at it terribly closely, but it appears I
should have substituted "contact" for department head, since many of
these people appear to be secretaries.  Also, some non-Ph.D granting
institutions appear, leading me to reclassify as a list of places which
might be able to hire a new Ph.D.

	Due to the great interest in this, please continue to mail me any
revisions or other information of interest.  Eventually, I will revise
the list and post it.

	- Steven Skiena,  University of Illinois - Urbana
	  {ihnp4,pur-ee,convex}!uiucdcs!skiena   skiena%uiuc@csnet-relay.arpa

lm@sei.cmu.edu (Larry Morell) (06/19/87)

Addition to the list of Ph.D. granting institutions in
Computer Science:  College of William and Mary, Williamsburg, Va 23185.
Dept. Chair: Richard Prosl.

bzs@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) (06/20/87)

Posting-Front-End: GNU Emacs 18.41.4 of Mon Mar 23 1987 on bu-cs (berkeley-unix)

>boston                Prof. Friedman

The current Chair at Boston University's Computer Science Department
is Steve Homer.

	-Barry Shein, Boston University