[comp.edu] recommendations from teachers

davims@mhuxu.UUCP (07/17/87)

My boyfriend is a May 1987 graduate in CS.  He asked some of his former
teachers for recommendations, and they said they'd be happy to oblige.
When my boyfriend received his letters of recommendations from the teachers,
they turned out not to be "recommendations" at all.  They said some pretty
nasty things about him that outweighed any good points.

Has anyone out there ever heard of something like this happening?  Why did
these teachers even bother to write their so-called "letters of
recommendation" if they were just planning on saying nasty things?

To the professors out there: Personally, what do you do if a student you
don't have a high opinion of asks you for a letter of recommendation?

Please answer through the network.  Thanks.  Laura

P.S. My boyfriend threw out these letters. What a waste of time for every-
one involved!

--
                                John B. Lo Coco
                                (mhuxu!davims)

uccjcm@ecsvax.UUCP (Jonathon C. McLendon IV) (07/18/87)

In article <6633@mhuxu.UUCP>, davims@mhuxu.UUCP writes:
> My boyfriend is a May 1987 graduate in CS.  He asked some of his former
> teachers for recommendations, and they said they'd be happy to oblige.
> When my boyfriend received his letters of recommendations from the teachers,
> they turned out not to be "recommendations" at all.  They said some pretty
> nasty things about him that outweighed any good points.
>
> Has anyone out there ever heard of something like this happening?  Why did
> these teachers even bother to write their so-called "letters of
> recommendation" if they were just planning on saying nasty things?
>
> To the professors out there: Personally, what do you do if a student you
> don't have a high opinion of asks you for a letter of recommendation?

  How exactly did he know what they said? There are two kinds of
  recommendations: open and closed, that is, those that are open
  to the recommendee and those that are closed to the recomendee.
  As someone who interviews and hires CS grads, I usually place
  little or no weight on an open recommendation.
  I suspect that 'boyfriend' knew he was going to get a crummy
  rec and that's why he got an open recommendation. Additionally,
  I have nothing but empathy for a professor who has to put up
  with a student who is a pain in the a**. (whether your boyfriend
  is or is not one, I do not know) I presume he wanted an honest
  rec, and I suppose he got one. In any case, I wouldn't place too
  much emphasis on it. I'm on my third job in this industry, and
  only one employer actually bothered to check my references,
  and when they did, because they couldn't reach the prof, they
  talked to the secretaries! (I always knew all that sweet talking
  would pay off)

ragerj@nucsrl.UUCP (John Rager) (07/18/87)

I have been teaching for about 8 years. When I am asked to write
a recommendation for someone for whom I do not feel I can write a
good letter, I tell them. They often request (insist) that I write it anyway,
because it is the best they are going to get.

Many professors will write bad recs. Perhaps it is easier to understand
this if you think about a letter as being an 'evaluation', rather
than an endorsement.

I am surprised that your boyfriend got to see/evaluate the letters.
That is quite unusual.

John Rager

fpst@hubcap.UUCP (Dennis Stevenson) (07/18/87)

In article <6633@mhuxu.UUCP>, davims@mhuxu.UUCP writes:
> [...] crumm recommendations

I've been on both sides of the coin - I did a lot of interviewing etc
of job candidates when in industy and now I'm in academia.

I simply tell them that I cannot give them a recommendation.  I've only
hand the problem once.

Of late, I find a lot more companies are calling direct and questioning
me.  I'll be honest, I like that system better - it cuts out the c---.

Steve

mc@notecnirp.Princeton.EDU (Mara Chibnik) (07/20/87)

In article <6633@mhuxu.UUCP> davims@mhuxu.UUCP (SZ-LOCOCO,JOHN) writes:
 }My boyfriend is a May 1987 graduate in CS.  He asked some of his former
 }teachers for recommendations, and they said they'd be happy to oblige.
 }When my boyfriend received his letters of recommendations from the teachers,
 }they turned out not to be "recommendations" at all.  They said some pretty
 }nasty things about him that outweighed any good points.

 }Has anyone out there ever heard of something like this happening?  Why did
 }these teachers even bother to write their so-called "letters of
 }recommendation" if they were just planning on saying nasty things?

Yes, I've heard of a case like this.  The student in question (it isn't
me and I don't want to be more specific) is now comfortably ensconced in a
graduate program of good reputation and also holds a part-time research
position at a highly-respected industrial research facility, so it wasn't
fatal.  In this case, to the best of my knowledge, it was a single letter
that was a problem.  Again, the letter mentioned a number of good
qualities, but it was clear that the writer felt that some negative
characteristics far outweighed these. (The good points were academic and
technical.  The bad ones were personal.)  The student was, of course, much
distressed.  And, especially, had signed the waiver, so was not entitled to
read the recommendation.  (How that all happened is something that I never
got into.)

 }To the professors out there: Personally, what do you do if a student you
 }don't have a high opinion of asks you for a letter of recommendation?
I taught parttime for several years and have had to write recommendatons.
My own approach depends on what happens between the student and me in the
requesting process.
1.  First, when a student approaches me for a recommendation, if the
student is someone I think well of in a general sense, but who really can't
cut it in my field, I ask about plans for the future and discuss these in
terms of my assessment of potential.  I try to end up by saying something
that amounts to "Well, if you want a recommendation for [something I think
you would be good at] I'll be happy to write one." (Fill in the square
brackets with a specific.)  This is constructive, and helps to
get the message across that I wouldn't be comfortable writing a general
recommendation.
2.  If the student is someone I don't know well enough to write a letter
for, I say so, and ask what other teachers have been approached, to try to
suggest someone more suitable.  Sometimes we find one.  Sometimes there are
compelling reasons to worry about the "more suitable" teacher's letter (as
in your boyfriend's case).  In such cases, it is sometimes possible for me
to interview the student sufficiently to write a letter based on what comes
through at the interview.  (This is something that doesn't happen too
often, because I'm not generally so ready to offer that kind of help to a
student whose work I don't know well enough so I could have written the
letter without that.)  Often I've been able to steer the student to an
appropriate recommender, maybe in another department.
3.  If for any reason I can't do these things, my technique is what is
usually referred to as "damning with faint praise."  That is, I say nothing
bad, but no raves.  I mention the name of the course the student took with
me, its content, the student's final grade (or say the work was
satisfactory or good, depending)-- in other words, I say nothing bad, and
go on record as validating that the student's application is bona fide, but
really no more.  And I do NOT do this without letting the student know I
have reservations unless I have no way of communicating with the student.
4.  In extreme circumstances, I do nothing.  (I got a letter from a former
student who needed a recommendation in a hurry.  He was out of town.  He
had done work for me that was barely passable, despite having the obvious
ability to do excellent work.  I had put it to him while he was my student
that I was unfavorably impressed by his performance.  I threw his letter
away.

chavey@speedy.WISC.EDU (Darrah Chavey) (07/20/87)

In article <6633@mhuxu.UUCP>, davims@mhuxu.UUCP writes:
> My boyfriend is a May 1987 graduate in CS.  He asked some of his former
> teachers for recommendations, and they said they'd be happy to oblige.
> When my boyfriend received his letters of recommendations from the teachers,
> they turned out not to be "recommendations" at all.  They said some pretty
> nasty things about him that outweighed any good points.
>
> To the professors out there: Personally, what do you do if a student you
> don't have a high opinion of asks you for a letter of recommendation?

I have had weak students ask me for letters of recommendation.  I am
always careful to point out to them that, although I can say (good stuff),
I will be obligated to also say (bad stuff).  Here, the good stuff and
the bad stuff depend on the student.  I have never had such a student
reconsider asking me to write the letter.  I assume that they already
knew my letter would be luke warm, and they didn't know anyone else from
whom they could get a stronger letter.  It sounds like these professors
just assumed that such was the case and didn't bother to ask.

	Darrah Chavey
	Computer Sciences Department
	University of Wisconsin, Madison WI
	chavey@cs.wisc.edu    ...{ihnp4,seismo,allegra}!uwvax!chavey

mason@Pescadero.ARPA (Tony Mason) (07/22/87)

>> My boyfriend is a May 1987 graduate in CS.  He asked some of his former
>> teachers for recommendations, and they said they'd be happy to oblige.
>> When my boyfriend received his letters of recommendations from the teachers,
>> they turned out not to be "recommendations" at all.  They said some pretty
>> nasty things about him that outweighed any good points.
>>
>> To the professors out there: Personally, what do you do if a student you
>> don't have a high opinion of asks you for a letter of recommendation?
>
> It sounds like these professors
>just assumed that such was the case and didn't bother to ask.

Sometimes, maybe they do it out of spite.

When I was applying to college, out of high school, I asked about seven
teachers to write letters for me.  Of those, I had one who decided to "get
even" and write bad letters.  Maybe this can occur as a fluke, but the guy
who wrote those letters I had had for seven classes over a span of two and a
half years.  The letter he wrote was caustic.  It didn't mention ANY good
points, and he tore me down as much as he could.  However, he didn't mention
anything to me when he said he would write them (he wrote *three*.)  Why?
I've been asking myself that question ever since.

He couldn't even say I was a bad student - I had a 4.0 from his classes, and
a 3.9 overall.  But he found something bad to say.  Worst of all, I had
trusted him.

The guy was my debate coach for two and a half years.  Just goes to show you
cannot trust anybody.

Tony Mason
DSG
Stanford Univ.
mason@pescadero

(But, I still went to college, got a degree, and now am out in the real world.)