[comp.edu] Salaries for Ph.D. students....

marshek@ut-ngp.UUCP (MAt Johns (The Genie)) (07/24/87)

	Hi there,
		I have been posting recently about doctoral education
in Europe; I got quite a few responses and was surprised to know that
the "salary" for people working towards a Ph.D. in Engineering in
Germany is about US$ 2000 a month.
Does anyone know about the salaries for Ph.D. students in other European
countries?
Thanx in advance; please e-mail to marshek@ut-ngp.utexas.UUCP
							Mat Johns

seth@ptsfa.UUCP (Seth Miller) (07/24/87)

In article <5688@ut-ngp.UUCP> marshek@ut-ngp.UUCP (MAt Johns (The Genie)) writes:

>the "salary" for people working towards a Ph.D. in Engineering in
>Germany is about US$ 2000 a month.
>Does anyone know about the salaries for Ph.D. students in other European
>countries?
>Thanx in advance; please e-mail to marshek@ut-ngp.utexas.UUCP
>							Mat Johns

I would like to say one thing about comparing the salary you would earn
in Europe to the salary you would earn in the USA in dollars.  YOU CANNOT
DO IT!!!

When you say about US$ 2000 a month that is approx. 4000DM per month.
That is about the equivalent of earning US$ 4000 in the USA.

I know because I have worked and lived in both W. Germany and W. Berlin (for
those of you who don't know, W. Berlin is not part of W. Germany according
to Soviet Bloc contries).  3 years ago I worked for NIXDORF COMPUTER AG. in
W. Germany and earned 1800DM per month as a student programmer.  At the time
it was equivalent to US$ 600, however, living in W. Germany it was more like
having US$ 1800 a month.

The moral of the story is that you can't just compute into US $s what you
would earn in Deutschmark or Franks, but you also have to take into account
what everything costs in the country where you want to live.

Seth Miller

UUCP: { whatever you want }!ptsfa!seth

DISCLAIMER:  The above opinions have absolutely no relationship with the
             cost of your phone bill.