[comp.edu] microcomputers

ncmagel@ndsuvax.UUCP (ken magel) (08/07/87)

    How many microcomputers should be available for a given number of students
who are computer science majors?  That is, should there be one micro for every
ten students, every five students, every twenty students?  WHat would be an
optimal number and what would be a satisfactory ratio?  How well equiped
should the micro's be?  How much money per year should be available for software
per student?

sysop@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) (08/11/87)

in article <398@ndsuvax.UUCP>, ncmagel@ndsuvax.UUCP (ken magel) says:

>     How many microcomputers should be available for a given number of students
> who are computer science majors?  That is, should there be one micro for every
> ten students, every five students, every twenty students?  WHat would be an
> optimal number and what would be a satisfactory ratio?  How well equiped
> should the micro's be?  How much money per year should be available for software
> per student?

We give every freshman and software, majors and non-majors alike, their own
portable PC.  Students lease the machines, but can buy them if they choose.
Juniors and seniors have the option of leasing and/or buying.  Since that is
the case, our micro labs are rather small.  There are about 70 PC's, each
with a hard disk and printer, for an about 5,000 students (grad and undergrad)
but remember that fully three-quarters or more of that number will be using
their own machines.  And many courses don't use micros but are taught on the
mainframe (especially for majors).

The portables this year are the new HP portable, which I understand hasn't
even been officially announced to the public yet.  I therefore can't give
details, but our written specs for a machine included 512KRAM, 2 - 3 1/2
half inch disk drives, a readable screen, and AT compatibility.  Each
student will be purchasing WordPerfect, a spreadsheet (a Lotus clone, since
Lotus wanted $100/student to put 1-2-3 on the small disks!), BASIC, and a
demo version of dBase III+ (limited to 25 or so rows per file).

The micro lab has HP vectras, each with a hard disk on which software has
already been installed.  The packages vary with what instructors need.

Each faculty member, by the way, gets some sort of micro.  The Vectra in
my office is hooked to our broadband network, off which the mainframes and
minis are hung.  For exmaple, I can reach a Prime 9955 and a Microvax II.
There are student terminal labs scattered around campus, though the largest
has about 80 terminals.  Dial-in access to the broadband is also available.

Jan Harrington, sysop
Scholastech Telecommunications
seismo!husc6!amcad!stech!sysop

gwl@rruxa.UUCP (George W. Leach) (08/12/87)

In article <398@ndsuvax.UUCP>, ncmagel@ndsuvax.UUCP (ken magel) writes:

>     How many microcomputers should be available for a given number of students
> who are computer science majors?  That is, should there be one micro for every
> ten students, every five students, every twenty students?  WHat would be an
> optimal number and what would be a satisfactory ratio?  How well equiped
> should the micro's be?  How much money per year should be available for software
> per student?

      At the New Jersey Institute of Technology, each and every full time
undergraduate is required to purchase a selected PC upon entering the
university.  I'm not sure about part timers.  In addition, currently
three public PC labs are available for general usage.  Each lab consists
of 50 PCs connected to a hard disk system and several laser printers
via a local area network.  Thus students may access common software
resources.

      I know that the total student population within the CIS department
is somewhere in the area of 1500 or so.  However, many students in the
junior and senior classes as well as graduate students don't depend
only upon the micocomputers to do their work.  For the freshmen and
sophomores the micros are the only computing resource available.  It
does seem to be working quite well.  And from my experiences as an
undergraduate dealing with long delays while waiting for my printout
from a line printer, or punching hollerith cards I feel that today's
students are lucky!

George W. Leach

Bell Communications Research      New Jersey Institute of Technology
444 Hoes Lane       4A-1129       Computer & Information Sciences Dept.
Piscataway,  New Jersey   08854   Newark, New Jersey   07102
(201) 699-8639

UUCP:  ..!bellcore!indra!reggie
ARPA:  reggie%njit-eies.MAILNET@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA

From there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere
Dr. Seuss "One fish two fish red fish blue fish"

neitzel@infbs.UUCP (08/15/87)

/***** infbs:comp.edu / rruxa!gwl /  4:51 pm  Aug 12, 1987*/
> At the New Jersey Institute of Technology, each and every full time
> undergraduate is required to purchase a selected PC upon entering the
> university.
> [...]
> And from my experiences as an undergraduate dealing with long delays
> while waiting for my printout from a line printer, or punching hollerith
> cards I feel that today's students are lucky!

>					George W. Leach

But there is nothing bad about waiting for something!
In fact it gives you a good opportunity for talks with all other
students waiting for printouts, too.  Students that work on the same
problem.

You can read Gerald M. Weinberg's "Psychology of Programming" about this.
There is one place, where he writes about the change from batch operation
to time sharing systems.  In short, he regrets the loss of communication
among the programmers.

I think, the same applies to the students today and to the change from
time sharing systems to (further isolated/isolating) micro computers.

I am badly aware at this CS dept. here, that more and more students do
all their work at home == on their own == without seeing different
concepts  ( == without learning ?!?! ).  Looking back over the past five
years I get the impression, that all activities amongst students, which
went beyond/beneath any lecture, have vanished and were not repeated or
even continued by younger fresh{wo}men.

[ BTW: This *is* related to the last debate on assignments/cheating.
  Sometimes I was very startled, how cooperation between students was
  strongly discouraged.  Yes, "the 1st language should be English" is
  okay, but then let them use it, too!
]

Martin Neitzel
Tech.Univ. Braunschweig, W.Germany, Europe
...!mcvax!unido!infbs!neitzel

gwl@rruxa.UUCP (George W. Leach) (08/17/87)

In article <18100001@infbs.UUCP>, neitzel@infbs.UUCP writes:
> /***** infbs:comp.edu / rruxa!gwl /  4:51 pm  Aug 12, 1987*/
> > At the New Jersey Institute of Technology, each and every full time
> > undergraduate is required to purchase a selected PC upon entering the
> > university.
> > [...]
> > And from my experiences as an undergraduate dealing with long delays
> > while waiting for my printout from a line printer, or punching hollerith
> > cards I feel that today's students are lucky!
>
> >					George W. Leach
>
> But there is nothing bad about waiting for something!
> In fact it gives you a good opportunity for talks with all other
> students waiting for printouts, too.  Students that work on the same
> problem.

     I only remember being always pressed for time between classes to
maybe get two runs in!  I also quite clearly remember begging the
operator to run my deck through one more time at 2:00 AM.  Perhaps one
benefit of all this was to make damn sure that those precious few
runs were not stopped by dumb typos and other errors that could be hand
checked.  Today my students have Turbo Pascal, which not only detects
errors, but takes them into the editor at the appropriate place in the
code where the syntax error occured.  My they are spoiled!

> You can read Gerald M. Weinberg's "Psychology of Programming" about this.
> There is one place, where he writes about the change from batch operation
> to time sharing systems.  In short, he regrets the loss of communication
> among the programmers.

     I have read Weinberg's book and the incident that you are talking
about (I think) is when an intelligent manager removed some vending
machines from the area in which printouts were picked up.  He felt that
the programmers we wasting too much time congregating around them.  Well
sure enough, that stopped when the machines were removed and so did the
communication.  People were talking about programs and comparing notes.
The end result was people were taking longer to fix bugs!!!

> I think, the same applies to the students today and to the change from
> time sharing systems to (further isolated/isolating) micro computers.

     I'm not so sure about this point.  From my own experiences as both
a student and a teacher I have found that people tend to talk amongst
their friends and not with total strangers about such things.  And what
about the communication opportunities that e-mail affords a student?
Or what about all the students who have access to the net? (I know,
it is but a small fraction, but still it is more than in the batch,
card oriented days).  Networking the PCs at school and providing phone
links to the ones at home can provide the same benefits.

> I am badly aware at this CS dept. here, that more and more students do
> all their work at home == on their own == without seeing different
> concepts  ( == without learning ?!?! ).  Looking back over the past five
> years I get the impression, that all activities amongst students, which
> went beyond/beneath any lecture, have vanished and were not repeated or
> even continued by younger fresh{wo}men.
>
> [ BTW: This *is* related to the last debate on assignments/cheating.
>   Sometimes I was very startled, how cooperation between students was
>   strongly discouraged.  Yes, "the 1st language should be English" is
>   okay, but then let them use it, too!
> ]

     The problem is the form that the "cooperation" assumes.  For the most
part you have one or possibly two very intelligent students from whom
the rest are simply obtaining the solutions without regard for trying
to understand them!!!  This is the problem.  They are not learning.
They are simply getting the program done to get a grade.  That is why
tests are given in a classroom.  Programs alone won't do the trick.

> Martin Neitzel
> Tech.Univ. Braunschweig, W.Germany, Europe
> ...!mcvax!unido!infbs!neitzel

George W. Leach

Bell Communications Research      New Jersey Institute of Technology
444 Hoes Lane       4A-1129       Computer & Information Sciences Dept.
Piscataway,  New Jersey   08854   Newark, New Jersey   07102
(201) 699-8639

UUCP:  ..!bellcore!indra!reggie
ARPA:  reggie%njit-eies.MAILNET@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA

From there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere
Dr. Seuss "One fish two fish red fish blue fish"

steve@nuchat.UUCP (Steve Nuchia) (08/20/87)

In article <398@ndsuvax.UUCP>, ncmagel@ndsuvax.UUCP (ken magel) writes:
> who are computer science majors?  That is, should there be one micro for every
> ten students, every five students, every twenty students?  WHat would be an

If you expect your students to learn computing science instead of the
pharmacology of stimulants there should be enough interractive workstations
to go around.  I have been through a CS program that used resource limits
to weed out the physically weak rather than a demanding curriculum to
weed out the intellectually weak.  You can tell what I think of that
strategy.

I guess it all depends on what you are trying to accomplish.  But as
a rule of thumb if more than half of the workstations are occupied
at 3:30 am some of your students won't be in top form in class tomorrow.

	Steve Nuchia
	{{soma,academ}!uhnix1,sun!housun}!nuchat!steve