[comp.edu] Online Instruction

soley@well.UUCP (Norman Soley) (09/03/87)

I am looking  for a source of online instruction programs for unix. Something
similar to LEARN  would be sufficient. A brief literature search failed to turn
up even a commercial supplier of such. There are plenty of videotape and classroom
courses but no online.
The program should cover introductory unix as well as vi and run under System V
Release 2.

Norman Soley -- Communications Analyst  -- Ontario Ministry of the Environment
    uunet!mnetor!ontmoh!ontenv!norm
"Don't ask me what a communications analyst does. Why don't you ask one."

rbl@nitrex.UUCP ( Dr. Robin Lake ) (09/04/87)

In article <3879@well.UUCP> soley@well.UUCP (Norman Soley) writes:

>I am looking  for a source of online instruction programs for unix. Something
>similar to LEARN  would be sufficient. A brief literature search failed to turn
>up even a commercial supplier of such. There are plenty of videotape and classroom
>courses but no online.
>
>Norman Soley -- Communications Analyst  -- Ontario Ministry of the Environment
>    uunet!mnetor!ontmoh!ontenv!norm

Since the Ontario Ministry of the Environment sent some free toxic gas
release modelling software, I owe them one, so I dug into my UNIX/C
Training file and came up with:
	Introduction to UNIX
	Digital Equipment Corporation, Educational Services
	(Probably more Ultrix/BSD than System V)

	A series of "audiodigital" training for UNIX:
	User Training Corp.
	130-B Knowles Drive
	Los Gatos, CA  95030
	(408)-370-9710

I recall seeing the User Training Corp. "stuff" demonstrated at an NCC
a year or so ago.  I found it to be well prepared and easy to learn 'vi' from
(I never learned "vi" as it was not around when I learned UNIX!)  ---
UTC also offers the hardware and software for "roll your own" training
materials.

Disclaimer:  Other than the NCC exhibit, I have not used either of the
above.

Rob Lake
BP America R&D

--
Rob Lake
{decvax,ihnp4!cbosgd}!mandrill!nitrex!rbl

ria@pbhyc.UUCP (Rich Anderson) (09/05/87)

>I am looking  for a source of online instruction programs for unix. Something
>similar to LEARN  would be sufficient. A brief literature search failed to turn
>up even a commercial supplier of such. There are plenty of videotape and classroom

     I believe that there exist several these days.  Among them: Courseware
Technologies, Inc., Santa Monica, CA; Institute for Advanced Professional
Studies, Cambridge, MA; Interactive Training Systems (interactive video),
Cambridge, MA.