[comp.edu] Looking for a nice grading package

faiman@uiucdcsm.cs.uiuc.edu (09/15/87)

    Re Lorien Pratt's request for a grading program.  Why waste your time?
We used to have half a dozen or so such programs floating around the
department on several machines, written by various students, generating
data in various and sundry formats, all doing more or less the same thing,
but differently enough, so that it was a pain to switch from one to another.
Then, along came Lotus, and all problems disappeared.

    Mike Faiman, Urbana

pratt@vanhalen.rutgers.edu (Lorien Y. Pratt) (09/16/87)

>Then came Lotus, and all problems disappeared...

Can I get Lotus for free which will run under 4.2bsd?  If not, I'd
be happy to accept cash donations...  ->
  --Lorien

windley@iris.ucdavis.edu (Phil Windley) (09/16/87)

    Re Lorien Pratt's request for a grading program.  I use awk.  Its
quick and dirty, but I can write a three line awk program that will
suit my needs in the time it takes me to reread the docs on the grader
programs around here.  Try awk.

Phillip Windley
Robotics Research Lab
University of California, Davis

sampson@smu (09/16/87)

My TA's use Lotus 1-2-3 with a simple template I wrote.  It's
not fancy but does the job.

                   ,.

                   /|\                    joel sampson
                 /  | \                 ----------------
               / fs |  \           Southern Methodist University
             /      |   \         Computer Science & Engineering
         ._/________|    \            Dallas, Texas  75275
        .___________|_____\__          convex!smu!sampson
        .|_________________/

faiman@uiucdcsm.UUCP (09/17/87)

Again, to Lorien Pratt.  Lotus costs less than most 4.2 software I know
about.  And surely even Rutgers has an IBM PC or clone somewhere that
you can use.

rhsu@topaz.rutgers.edu (Robert Hsu) (09/21/87)

In article <4200002@uiucdcsm> faiman@uiucdcsm.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

> Again, to Lorien Pratt.  Lotus costs less than most 4.2 software I know
> about.  And surely even Rutgers has an IBM PC or clone somewhere that
> you can use.

People here are smart enough not to use IBM PeeCees.  Besides, why use
one when you've got a Sun on your desk?

-Rob
Robert Hsu		  DISCLAIMER: I disclaim any responsibility for
rhsu@topaz.rutgers.edu 	  inaccuracies, misinformation, and fabrications
RPO 6768  CN 5063	  that appeared in the preceding article.
New Brunswick, NJ 08903   {...!rutgers!topaz.rutgers.edu!rhsu}
"Vidi, Vici, Veni"					"Coito ergo sum"

steve@nuchat.UUCP (Steve Nuchia) (09/24/87)

In article <1220@vanhalen.rutgers.edu>, pratt@vanhalen.rutgers.edu (Lorien Y. Pratt) writes:
> >Then came Lotus, and all problems disappeared...
>
> Can I get Lotus for free which will run under 4.2bsd?  If not, I'd
> be happy to accept cash donations...  ->
>   --Lorien

I haven't compiled it yet, but there is a PD spreadsheet in the sources
archives.  It might be functional enough to serve as a 'lotus' for grading.

The archive issue numbers are v11i017, v11i018, and v11i019.
--
Steve Nuchia			Of course I'm respectable!  I'm old!
{soma,academ}!uhnix1		Politicians, ugly buildings, and whores

thomas@sertne.Dayton.NCR.COM (Scott A. Thomas) (09/25/87)

This is for those people that can not afford, don't want to learn or buy, or
there isn't a good spreadsheet available for their system.

My wife is a teacher and we have been looking for a grading package ourselves.
I finally found one by a company called Associated Computer Services (ACS).
It runs on an Amiga and Commadore 64/128 machines and I have been told it also
works on a PC clone.  It seems to be very easy to use.  There is no real setup
required except for entering of your class rousters.  This package will print
out grade book sheets, status reports, grade cards and several other reports.
You can customize your reports and create new ones.  This package allows you to
input either letter or number grades and it will convert either format to the
other format for you.  You are allowed to set weights on 8 different grading
areas, i.e. test, finals, quizes, homework, papers, class work, reports and
lab work.

For the Amiga this package makes nice use of the graphics and mouse.  The price
is between $60-$70.  It is not copy protected, so you can use backup copies
without requiring a key disk.  They also have quantity pricing available.

Their address is:
			Associated Computer Services
			1306 E. Sunsine
			Springfield, MO 65804

			(417) 887-7373

DISCLAIMER:

	I don't work for or receive any money from ACS.  I am just a very
	satisfied customer.  Plus they did a much better job than what I had
	done.
--
Scott A. Thomas     	 CSNET S.Thomas@sertne.Dayton.NCR.COM
NCR Corporation		 ARPA  S.Thomas%Dayton.NCR.COM@relay.cs.net