[comp.edu] Online Education - OPPORTUNITIES

patth@dasys1.UUCP (Patt Haring) (10/09/87)

This is Paul Levinson's response to George Leach:

 Several responses to George Leach's note about
Connect Ed and EIES:
 1. Connected Education, Inc. is an independent
not-for-profit corporation that offers on-line
graduate and undergraduate courses in conjunction
with the New School for Social Research and
Polytechnic University in New York City.  These
are two separate universities, and neither has
any connection with NYU (as wrongly stated
in Leach's note).
 2. Although other educational programs do operate
on EIES, Connect Ed is the only one that (a) provides
graduate and undergraduate credit towards degrees on
a continuous basis, and (b) operates out of the
"Connect Ed Campus."  The Connect Ed Campus is
is a copyright (by Connect Ed) series of tailored
structures on EIES designed by me and the Connect
Ed staff; they include such features as the Connected
Education Library (containing hundreds of papers
on-line), our Cafe (for social conversation), and
a sophisticated original help menu.  (Leach is not
a member of the Campus, and thus would have no
knowledge of this).
 Further details on the design of the Connect Ed Campus
will be available in my forthcoming article: "Connected
Education: The First Two Years," to be published in
the upcoming issue of LEARNING TODAY: THE JOURNAL
OF THE APPLE EDUCATION ADVISORY COUNCIL.  Anyone interested
in receiving a copy can write directly to me at
92 Van Cortlandt Park South, Bronx, NY 10463, or send
an electronic message (via this network) to our DASNET
address on EIES ([DDE1PL]Levin).
 Later this year, JAI Press (Greenwich, CT 06836; phone:
203-661-7602) will be publishing our ELECTRONIC
CHRONICLES, which will contain excerpts and highlights
from the Connect Ed on-line community.
 Sincerely,
 Paul Levinson, Ph.D.
 President, Connected Education, Inc.
   (212) 548-0435 or (212) 549-6509

P.S.  Dr. Levinson recently completed setting up an *online*
      PhD program for Brooklyn's Polytechnic University;
      the *online* program thru EIES is Master's Degree.

--
Patt Haring                       UUCP:    ..cmcl2!phri!dasys1!patth
Big Electric Cat                  Compu$erve: 76566,2510

reggie@pdn.UUCP (George W. Leach) (10/19/87)

In article <1596@dasys1.UUCP>, patth@dasys1.UUCP (Patt Haring) writes:

> This is Paul Levinson's response to George Leach:

>  Several responses to George Leach's note about
> Connect Ed and EIES:
>  1. Connected Education, Inc. is an independent
> not-for-profit corporation that offers on-line
> graduate and undergraduate courses in conjunction
> with the New School for Social Research and
> Polytechnic University in New York City.  These
> are two separate universities, and neither has
> any connection with NYU (as wrongly stated
> in Leach's note).

     Sorry, my mistake!!!  I had been under the impression that the New
School was connected with NYU.  Well I asked my wife about this, she went
to NYU, and she told me that the New School is a totally separate entity.

BTW:  Patt, ask Dr. Levinson how Riverdale is doing these days!  I just moved
from there to Florida a month and a half ago!!!

--
George W. Leach					Paradyne Corporation
{gatech,codas,ucf-cs}!usfvax2!pdn!reggie	Mail stop LF-207