[comp.edu] Access to USENET for non-comp sci majors at undergrad institutions

gib@unirot.UUCP (the gibster) (10/25/87)

In examining several colleges and universities for a friend of mine,
the question of USENET and internet access has come up.

Do most colleges and universities give access to USETNET and the Internet
if they have it? Are there any special restrictions that usually apply?

This friend is looking seriously at the following institutions of higher
learning, and a response from faculty, current students, or administrators
from said schools would be greatly appreciated:

	Brown University
	Carnegie Mellon
	Dartmouth College
	Duke University
	Hampshire College
	New York University
	Princeton Univeristy
	Pomona College
	Wesleyan University
	Yale University

Also, any information regarding the transfer of electronic mail from the
outside world to campus residents without computers is welcome.

..rutgers!unirot!gib
..unirot!gib@rutgers.edu

dws@eddie.MIT.EDU (Don W. Saklad) (10/25/87)

Greetings,

Does anyone know how to arrange access at ucscc
so a prospective student there might exchange mail
electronically with me here or read network news
?

Best wishes,

Don, tel. (617) 661-9650

ocker@yale-zoo-suned..arpa (John Ockerbloom) (10/28/87)

Expires:

In article <515@unirot.UUCP> gib@unirot.UUCP (the gibster) writes:

>In examining several colleges and universities for a friend of mine,
>the question of USENET and internet access has come up.
>
>Do most colleges and universities give access to USETNET and the Internet
>if they have it? Are there any special restrictions that usually apply?
>
>This friend is looking seriously at the following institutions of higher
>learning, and a response from faculty, current students, or administrators
>from said schools would be greatly appreciated:

[...]
>       Yale University

Here is the situation at Yale:

CS majors (and people taking classes on CS department machines) have access
to Usenet, and the major mail networks (ARPA, UUCP, and BITNET).  Undergraduates
have only recently gotten limited ARPA access, though gatewaying has always
been possible.  I'm not sure if we can use ftp - I haven't had much success
with it outside Yale.

Non-majors have accounts on a general machine (YALEVM) which is connected to
BITNET only, but the machine also knows how to use gateways to get to the
other networks.  They do not get the Usenet.

Here are the addresses of Yalies if you want to reach them:

CS majors only:

database-name@yale.EDU
database-name@yalecs.BITNET
database-name@yale.UUCP          ...!{harvard,cmcl2,decvax}!yale!database-name

in all three cases, the database name is <lastname>-<firstname>, as in
smith-joan.  If the person has a unique last name (like mine) the last name
by itself will do.

All students (majors and non-majors):

username@yalevm.BITNET

in this case, username is usually the first 3 letters of the last name, plus
the first three letters of the first name, plus the middle initial.  There
are some exceptions.

I hope this helps.

John Ockerbloom
ockerbloom@yale.EDU                 ...!{harvard,cmcl2,decvax}!yale!ockerbloom
ockerbloom@yalecs.BITNET            Box 5323 Yale Station, New Haven, CT 06520

marv@vsedev.UUCP (10/29/87)

In article <515@unirot.UUCP> gib@unirot.UUCP (the gibster) writes:

>Do most colleges and universities give access to USETNET and the Internet
>if they have it? Are there any special restrictions that usually apply?

   I love it! I wonder how many colleges/universities which currently
do not allow students access to electronic networks (BITNET, USENET)
will reconsider if a large portion of recruits include that in their
criteria in choosing a college....Queens College, CUNY: Are you listening?!

                           -marvin

--
Marvin Raab                  Arlington, VA 22202            703-521-5449 (h)
...!uunet!vsedev!marv               +--------------------------------------+

max@eros.uucp (Max Hauser) (10/29/87)

In article <894@vsedev.VSE.COM> marv@vsedev.UUCP (Marvin Raab) writes:
>In article <515@unirot.UUCP> gib@unirot.UUCP (the gibster) writes:

>>Do most colleges and universities give access to USETNET and the Internet
>>if they have it? Are there any special restrictions that usually apply?

>   I love it! I wonder how many colleges/universities which currently
>do not allow students access to electronic networks (BITNET, USENET)
>will reconsider if a large portion of recruits include that in their
>criteria in choosing a college....Queens College, CUNY: Are you listening?!

But of course usually it has nothing at all to do with "allowing students
access to Usenet"; the problem is that most schools are strapped for
computers, disk space and terminals. I'm sure that most schools with
some Usenet activity would love to give access to anyone who comes
prepared with, say, their own workstation and disks, and also is
willing to share say 80% of these with others on the campus (which is
what often happens to scarce resources in a university when someone
brings them in -- it would be a good early introduction to the academic
world, a side of it that most undergrads are gloriously ignorant of).

Since none of the postings so far have mentioned giving students
computer resources, which I think is the real key issue here, and a
very complex one, the posters must have implicitly assumed that
incoming students would supply all of their own -- and in that case
I'm confident that most if not all schools would oblige with Usenet
access. End of query.

Oh, don't forget to budget for your modem phone bill for UUCP traffic,
unless you can finagle a hard-wired access to a backbone site...

In any event, the colleges "in demand" routinely turn away several
applicants for each position they have, a process that is very clumsy
and that few faculty or admissions officers are really happy with.
Some of them literally lose sleep over it, because of course they are
rarely certain that they chose the right ones. If lack of "free" CPU
cycles and Megabytes causes some students to self-select themselves
out of the applicant pool, it will make life just a bit easier for
those who have to choose among the remaining hordes. Besides, it will
also keep down the gibberish on the Usenet, already pandemic.

Max Hauser / max@eros.berkeley.edu / ...{!decvax}!ucbvax!eros!max

msir@ur-tut.UUCP (Mark Sirota) (10/31/87)

In article <568@shamash.UUCP> jwabik@shamash.UUCP (Jeff Wabik) writes:
>In article <10480@duke.cs.duke.edu>, becher@duke.cs.duke.edu (Jonathan D. Becher) writes:
>
>>>Do most colleges and universities give access to USETNET and the Internet
>>>if they have it? Are there any special restrictions that usually apply?
>
>There is SO MUCH out there (here!) in USENET that the thought of
>limiting access to grads and faculty types is rediculous!  I had USENET
>access during my undergraduate work (University of Minnesota, Duluth) ,
>and felt that a good part of my CS education came from exchanging mail
>and news with the rest of the world.

I think Jeff may have been a touch strong, but his point is good.  Although
it costs time, space, and money to provide worldwide network access to
everyone, I still think it's a good idea.

Part of what makes today's world great is communication.  The media is fine,
but it can't provide one-on-one or large group discussions.  NetNews and
electronic mail provide opportunities for people to communicate with an
amazingly large group of people, in a personal, relevant atmosphere.

One of the important points about college is social growth, and that's
exactly what nationwide networks provide.  Seems to me that colleges and
universities wouldn't really want to deny their students this opportunity.
--

Mark Sirota
 msir%tut.cc.rochester.edu@cs.rochester.edu (rochester!ur-tut!msir)

marv@vsedev.VSE.COM (Marvin Raab) (11/01/87)

In article <1994@ucbcad.berkeley.edu> Max Hauser replies:

 I'm sure that most schools with
some Usenet activity would love to give access to anyone who comes
prepared with, say, their own workstation and disks, and also is
willing to share say 80% of these with others on the campus (which is
what often happens to scarce resources in a university when someone
brings them in -- it would be a good early introduction to the academic
world, a side of it that most undergrads are gloriously ignorant of).

My comments:

   I wouldn't be so sure...I know of many schools which prohibit their
students from any use of computers for non-classwork activities. In fact,
there is a list somewhere on BITNET for sites to post who can and who
cannot use BITNET at their respective schools. The list informs (warns?)
the net against contacting "unauthorized" users.

  One story I remember from my first year on BITNET (1982) occurred when a
friend of mine sent a message to a friend at another school. The receiving
school sent a nasty mail file to my site administrator threatening
legal action if it should ever happen again.

                  -marvin

--

patth@dasys1.UUCP (Patt Haring) (11/01/87)

In article <894@vsedev.VSE.COM>, marv@vsedev.VSE.COM (Marvin Raab) writes:
> In article <515@unirot.UUCP> gib@unirot.UUCP (the gibster) writes:
> >
> >Do most colleges and universities give access to USETNET and the Internet
> >if they have it? Are there any special restrictions that usually apply?
>
>    I love it! I wonder how many colleges/universities which currently
> do not allow students access to electronic networks (BITNET, USENET)
> will reconsider if a large portion of recruits include that in their
> criteria in choosing a college....Queens College, CUNY: Are you listeni

When one of the universities in NYC delayed giving students
their BITNET accounts, many of them started using Public Access
UNIX systems; for those of you who might be interested, here's
the current list:

       nixpub--> PUBLIC ACCESS UNIX (*NIX) SYSTEMS [10-09-87]
    (Please send additions, corrections, and feedback to warble)
Last                                                         d=wkdays
Contact                                                      k=wkends
Date      Telephone #   Sys-name  Location         Baud      Hours
-----     ------------  --------  -----------     -------    -----
Systems listed:
  [ alphacm, chariot, cguild, chinet, conexch, dasys1, ddsw1, dhw68k      ]
  [ eskimo, igloo, killer, m-net, marob, ncoast, netsys, nuchat, nucleus  ]
  [ pallas, pinn, pnet01, pnet02, portal, sir-alan, stb, turnkey, unirot  ]
  [ vpnet, warble, well, xenlink                                          ]

10/09     812-334-8453  cguild    Bloomington IN  12             24
  286 - SCO-XENIX V2.2.1, xbbs, also 812-334-8465

10/09     713-334-1204  nuchat    Houston     TX  3/12/24        24
  286 - Mport USENET, mail, shell access available 120 meg

10/06     714-662-7450  turnkey   Southern    CA  12/24          24
  286 - Xenix SYSV, XBBS

10/04     312-833-8126  vpnet     Villa Park  IL   3/12          24
  3B1 UNIX Sys ?, no fee, shell access, AKCS/ERACS BBS

09/26     212-675-7059  marob     NYC         NY   12/24         24
  286 SCO-XENIX 2.2, XBBS

09/25     814-333-6728  sir-alan  Meadville   PA   3/12/24       24
  Tandy XENIX/68000 03.01.02, Allegheny College, UNaXcess BBS, anon ftp

09/24     313-623-6309  nucleus   Clarkston   MI   12/24         24
  286 - UNIX SYS V, donation requested, AKCS/ERACS BBS

09/03     216-781-6201  ncoast    Cleveland   OH   3/12/24       24
  PLEXSUS, no fee, donation requested -> $2.00/hr prime, $1.00/hr non-prime

08/31     206-367-3837  eskimo    Seattle     WA   3/12          24
  Tandy-6000 XENIX, 8 lines, fee $1/mo, 1st 2 weeks free

08/30     217-529-3223  pallas    Springfield IL   3/12/24       24
  Convrgnt Minifrme, multiple lines, 200 meg Minnie bbs $25 donation

08/30     312-283-0559  chinet    Chicago     IL   3/12/24       24
  3b2/300 - SYS V 3.1, multiple lines, Picospan BBS, fee $50/yr for usenet
  access and other than public lines

08/30     403-295-2541  xenlink   Calgary     AB   3/12/24       24
  286 - SCO -XENIX, no fee, Term BBS, shell access, login bbs

08/30     408-725-0561  portal    Cupertino   CA   3/12          24
  Networked Suns (SunOS), multiple lines (some at 2400 bps), Telenet access
  fees: $4/hour direct, telenet $4/hour + tnet charges various rates/times
  conferencing, multi user chats, usenet, no shell access

08/29     415-332-6106  well      Sausalito   CA   3/12          24
  VAX 750 - BSD 4.2, multiple lines, Telenet access, Picospan bbs
  fees: $8/month, $3/hour direct, Telenet $20/$4 hour (peak/off peak)

08/28     214-824-7881  killer    Dallas      TX   3/12/24       24
  3b2/400 - UNIX, no fee, various time limits, 4 lines 860 meg online

08/28     312-566-8909  ddsw1     Mundelein   IL   3/12          24
  286 - Mport guest usr 1 hr daily, fee extends use, ERACS/UX bbs
    2400 bps for contributors($) on 312-566-8911/12 Authors of ERACS/UX bbs

08/26     312-272-5912  igloo     ??          IL   12         unknown
  PC7300 - UNIX limits unstated PicoSpan conference system

08/23    201-752-2820   unirot    ??          NJ    12        unknown
  Heurikon - Unisoft SYS V, fee status unknown AKA Soup Kitchen

08/23    714-635-2863   dhw68k    Anaheim     CA    3/12/24      24
  Unistride 2.1, fee status unknown, avoid 0200-0700 hrs local time

10/23    212-879-9031   dasys1    NYC         NY    12           24
  Unistride - SYS V, multiple lines, fee $5/mo  AKA Big Electric Cat

08/22    714-842-5851   conexch   Santa Anna  CA  3/12/24        24
  XENIX  714-842-6348 (bbs) - 3/12 various limits fee $25/quarter XBBS

08/06    714-828-0288   alphacm   Southern    CA   12/24         24
  286 - SCO-XENIX no fee, 60 minute per login, 4 lines, XBBS

08/02    301-540-3656-9 netsys    Germantown  MD   12        unknown
  ALTOS 986(2) - Xenix, networked 240 meg, fee $5/mo

10/06     619-444-7006  pnet01    El Cajon    CA   3/12/24       24
   BSD Unix, 3 lines, contributions requested, login: pnet id: new
   some USENET, net email, multi-thread conferencing.  Home of
   P-Net software, mail to crash!bblue or pnet01!bblue for info.

07/22     213-376-5714  pnet02    Redondo Bch CA   3/12/24       24
   XENIX (also 213-374-7404) no fee, 90 min limit, login: pnet id: new
   some USENET, net-work e-mail, multi-threaded conferencing

07/16	  213-459-7231	stb	  Sta Monica  CA   3/12/24       24
   Tandy 16 no limits, no fee, Serial Tree bbs (home made), shell access

09/11     305-584-4440  pinn      Ft. Laud.   FL   3/12/24       24
  IBM AT - Microport  SYS V, multiple lines, fee $12/yr MAGIC BBS

07/12     303-632-4111  chariot   Colo Sprgs  CO   3/12          24
  Convrgnt Minifrme - SYS V, multiple lines, fee $12/mo Picospan

07/11     313-994-6333  m-net     Ann Arbor   MI   3/12          24
  Altos 68020 - SYS III, limits unstated, fee for extended service
  Picospan conference system, multiple lines, 160 meg

List originated and maintained on:
09/15    214-250-1764  warble     Plano       TX   12/24    d 5pm-5am k 24
  286 - SCO-XENIX, no fee, XBBS
     uucp: ...!killer!warble!wayne  CIS: 73205,1172

Patt Haring                       UUCP:    ..cmcl2!phri!dasys1!patth
Big Electric Cat                  Compu$erve: 76566,2510
New York, NY, USA                 MCI Mail: 306-1255;  GEnie: PHaring
(212) 879-9031                    FidoNet Mail: 1:107/132 or 107/222

hobson@rutgers.rutgers.edu (Kevin Hobson) (11/01/87)

In article <515@unirot.UUCP> gib@unirot.UUCP (the gibster) writes:

> In examining several colleges and universities for a friend of mine,
> the question of USENET and internet access has come up.
>
> Do most colleges and universities give access to USETNET and the Internet
> if they have it? Are there any special restrictions that usually apply?

	At Rutgers, anyone taking a higher level computer science (>
300 level course) automatically get access to Usenet, Internet
(combination of all interconnected networks), CSnet, NSFnet, FIDOnet
and BITNET. The problem is that most students do not know this!  We
use usenet as internal electronic bboard. Each class has its own
bboard for questions/answers. Next, we have ru.qa (rutgers questions
and answer) bboard for user questions (How to send mail to so in so?
How do you use this function on a sun?) from any machine using netnews
software (most of unix machines here).  Center for Computer
Information Systems (CCIS) is a organization that helps let
non-computer science departments get access to the computers. But each
individual department is in its own little world and do not know these
services exist (macintosh and ibm-pc will do just fine).

> This friend is looking seriously at the following institutions of higher
> learning, and a response from faculty, current students, or administrators
> from said schools would be greatly appreciated:
> 	Brown University
>	Carnegie Mellon
> 	Dartmouth College
> 	Duke University
>	Hampshire College
> 	New York University
> 	Princeton Univeristy
>	Pomona College
> 	Wesleyan University
> 	Yale University

Is Rutgers University that bad?

> Also, any information regarding the transfer of electronic mail from the
> outside world to campus residents without computers is welcome.

	If you have a computer and modem, you can dialup to the
systems. Each campus have just be revised so high speed lines (T1) go
to Newark, Piscataway, Camden and New Brunswick campus. So each campus
has access to ANY of the computer systems on any campus (Piscataway is
the main hub). Sorry, dormitory and/or mail delivery of electronic
mail is not possible :-)

> ..rutgers!unirot!gib
> ..unirot!gib@rutgers.edu

	Public access unix machine with news feed from rutgers.
--
- Kevin Hobson
- ARPA: hobson@rutgers.edu

sysop@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) (11/05/87)

>  I'm sure that most schools with
> some Usenet activity would love to give access to anyone who comes
> prepared with, say, their own workstation and disks, and also is
> willing to share say 80% of these with others on the campus (which is
> what often happens to scarce resources in a university when someone
> brings them in -- it would be a good early introduction to the academic
> world, a side of it that most undergrads are gloriously ignorant of).
>
> My comments:
>
>    I wouldn't be so sure...I know of many schools which prohibit their
> students from any use of computers for non-classwork activities. In fact,
> there is a list somewhere on BITNET for sites to post who can and who
> cannot use BITNET at their respective schools. The list informs (warns?)
> the net against contacting "unauthorized" users.

This most interesting discussion comes on the heels of some computer ethics
discussions that we're having at Bentley College.  Just exactly what can a
student do with Bentley-owned computing resources?   Those resources include
stand-alone micros rented to students as well as minis and mainframes
accessible through the school's broadband network.  The network also includes
access to dial-out modems (i.e., access to external networks).

For a long time, we felt that students shouldn't use computers for anything
other than assigned class work.  However, that has changed considerably since
every freshman and sophmore has his or her own micro.  Our philosophy is now
that the computer is a tool to be used for whatever the student deems
appropriate - within the limits of our ethics code (which is still under
development).  At the moment, we operate under a "no harm" rule (strictly
unwritten), which means that so long as no other person or resource is harmed,
the use is OK.

As for external network access, we would have no problem with any student
who paid the computer use fee accessing the dial-out modems to interact with
either BITNET (a hookup is currently being arranged) or USENET (I have to
convince the people who run the VAX that USENET would be useful) so long as
the amount of traffic from that individual isn't excessive (i.e., it doesn't
prevent others from getting their news in or out).

I think it's a sign of Bentley's maturity in computing that we realize that
the computer is no longer an end in itself.  It's really a tool for managing
information and our goal is to aid students in doing so.

Jan Harrington, sysop
Scholastech Telecommunications
ihnp4!husc6!amcad!stech!sysop or allegra!stech!sysop

	Miscellaneous profundity:

		"No matter where you go, there you are."
				Buckaroo Banzai