[comp.edu] Brain Science Programs

johnh@wheaton.UUCP (John Doc Hayward) (11/09/87)

What CS	courses are offered in Colleges and Universities which
are part of an undergraduate 'Brain Scince' program?
Are the courses taught by CS faculty either individually or
team taught with members of different discipline?
What prerequisites in CS would be required for courses.  What
does the 'program' consist of?

Any helpful comments or suggestions will be appreciated.  If there is enough
interest I will summarize responses.  johnh...
UUCP: ihnp4!wheaton!johnh                    telephone: (312) 260-3871 (office)
Mail: John Hayward Math/Computer Science Dept. Wheaton College Wheaton Il 60187
       Act justly, love mercy and walk humbly with your God. Micah 6:8b

stern@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (harold a stern) (11/11/87)

In article <653@wheaton.UUCP> johnh@wheaton.UUCP (John Doc Hayward) writes:

>What CS	courses are offered in Colleges and Universities which
>are part of an undergraduate 'Brain Scince' program?
>Are the courses taught by CS faculty either individually or
>team taught with members of different discipline?
>What prerequisites in CS would be required for courses.  What
>does the 'program' consist of?

The following are (roughly) the requirements for MIT's program in "Brain and
Cognitive Sciences". Courses marked (EECS) are offered by the Department of
Electrical Engineering and Computer Science; those marked (BCS) are offered
by the Department of Brain and Cognitive Sciences; and those marked (LP) are
offered by the Deparment of Linguistics and Philosophy.

1) Introduction to Cognitive Science (BCS)
2) Logic I (LP)
3) Introduction to Algebraic Systems (EECS)
4) Automata, Computability, and Complexity (EECS)

four of the following six:
4) The Study of Language (LP)
5) Cognitive Processes (BCS)
6) Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs (EECS)
7) Neuroscience and Behavior (BCS)
8) Perceptual Information Processing (BCS)
9) Minds and Machines (LP)

and four additional courses selected from approved subjects in
experimental cognitive psychology, aspects of natural language,
neurological foundations of cognition, perception, natural computation,
and the philosophy of mind.

Structure and Interpretaiton of Computer Programs is the introductory
course in computer science required of students majoring in either
EE or CS.

Introduction to Algebraic Systems and Automata, Computability, and Complexity
are required courses for computer scientists (actually, Algebraic Systems is
offered by the Department of Mathematics, but only CS students take it).

harold a. stern  <stern@ge-crd.arpa>
room k1-5c8, ge corporate r&d center
p.o. box 8, schenectady, ny 12301