[comp.edu] Ph.D. in Organizational Behavior

altman@.csc.ti.com (Arthur Altman) (11/10/87)

A friend without net access asks:

I will be applying to graduate business schools for enrollment in a
Ph.D program.  The specialization I am looking at is the study of
organizations, often referred to as "organizational behavior",
"organizational development", etc.

Schools like Stanford, MIT, and so on are obvious candidates.  The
best "second-tier" schools are more difficult to determine, i.e.,
schools with solid programs but which lack the prestige of the star
institutions.  This is especially hard because O.B. is a
non-traditional specialization; often there is inter-disciplinary work
with schools of psychology, for instance.

So, if you have any solid tips on good Ph.D. programs in O.B., I would
truly appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks.

P.S. Reply to Arthur and he will pass it on.

-Arthur

ARPA:  Altman%ti-csl@Relay.CS.NET
UUCP:  {smu, texsun, ut-sally, rice} ! ti-csl ! altman
U.S. Mail: Texas Instruments, M.S. 238, P.O. Box 655474, Dallas, Tx. 75265

spf@clyde.UUCP (11/13/87)

In article <36150@ti-csl.CSNET> altman@relief.UUCP (Arthur Altman) writes:
>A friend without net access asks:
>
>I will be applying to graduate business schools for enrollment in a
>Ph.D program.  The specialization I am looking at is the study of
>organizations, often referred to as "organizational behavior",
>"organizational development", etc.
>So, if you have any solid tips on good Ph.D. programs in O.B., I would
>truly appreciate hearing from you.

(Sorry for posting, but mail disliked the return address)

Hi Arthur!  You might tell you friend about Stevens Institute of
Technology's program.  Their "Management Sciences" department includes
a very strong Applied Psychology program in Organization Behavior.
I can't say how well it's received by employers, except that Stevens
in general has a very good reputation.

Steve Frysinger

rapaport@sunybcs.uucp (William J. Rapaport) (11/18/87)

Try the Dept. of Educational Organization, Administration, and Policy
Studies, SUNY Buffalo.  They have an excellent program, and many of
their graduates go on to successful careers in, e.g., management
schools.