[comp.edu] History of computing

kjr@utacs.UTA.FI (Jouko R{ih{) (01/07/88)

We are planning on including in our curriculum a course
on the history of computers, data processing, computer science etc.
I would be interested to get recommendations and opinions
about text books (are there any available?).

Kari-Jouko Raiha
Department of Computer Science
University of Tampere, Finland

Internet: kjr@utacs.uta.fi
UUCP:     kjr@utacs.uucp

bulko@ut-sally.UUCP (Bill Bulko) (01/11/88)

In article <521@utacs.UTA.FI> kjr@utacs.UUCP (Kari-Jouko R{ih{) writes:

>We are planning on including in our curriculum a course
>on the history of computers, data processing, computer science etc.
>I would be interested to get recommendations and opinions
>about text books (are there any available?).
>
>Kari-Jouko Raiha
>Department of Computer Science
>University of Tampere, Finland

The best book that I know of (not necessarily the best book in existence)
is "Bit by Bit", by Stanley Augarten.  I have a copy of this at home, so if
you need more info about the publisher, etc. send me mail.
     The book is very readable.  It covers the history of computers (not
necessarily computer science!) from the abacus through mechanical calculators,
vacuum tubes, transistors, etc. up to pretty much modern technology.  It
emphasizes history, and constantly "pauses" to supply some background on
the people involved.  It also describes the origins of several major
computer companies.
     The level of the book is just right for a freshman-level class:  it
shouldn't lose anyone with its terminology, but it also doesn't clutter
itself with remedial lessons.  I say check it out.

					Bill

	     Artificial Intelligence:  the art of making computers
		      that behave like the ones in movies
Bill Bulko						The University of Texas
bulko@sally.UTEXAS.EDU				Department of Computer Sciences