[comp.edu] the craft of teaching

daniel@wind.bellcore.com (Daniel W. Nachbar) (01/22/88)

In article <1766@rayssd.RAY.COM> hxe@rayssd.RAY.COM (Heather Emanuel) writes:
 . . .
>My whole point in this discussion has been that instructors are
>arrogant if they ignore the fact that there is an art, a science, to
>teaching, . . .

Although it may contain aspects of art and science,
teaching is primarily a craft.  Craftsmanship is not valued much
in this day and age.  Thus, teaching (at all levels) suffers.

Bombasts against the "death of craftsmanship" are usually directed
towards business/industry.  The phrase "sacrificed at the alter of profit"
is often used.  But our field is no different.  Merely substitute the
word "science" for "profit".

And, there are so many crafts to learn: programming, writing, teaching . . .
Each requires a great deal of effort to master.  However, external rewards
are based on only a few.  The others often fall by the wayside.

Through the ages, craftsmen have found great personal reward in honing
their skills.  They have also had to listen to the purveyors of shoddy goods
claim that after a point (usually low) quality doesn't really matter and
that the customer (student) doesn't want or need or deserve such effort.
Some things never change.

Dan Nachbar
Bell Communications Research
bellcore!daniel