[net.unix-wizards] Bulk storage

newton@cit-vax (Mike Newton) (05/03/85)

One of the grpahics people here asked me to post this to the net.
Please reply to him directly:  barr@cit-vax.ARPA or ucbvax!cithep!cit-vax!barr

	From barr Fri May  3 04:22:21 1985
	Date: Fri, 3 May 85 04:22:18 pdt
	From: barr (Alan Barr)
	To: newton
	Subject: speaking to the collective mind

	Could you ask the collective hacking consciousness about their
	experience with write-once read many digital laser disks (of gigabyte or
	so capacity)? I've heard that many companies have gone into this
	business, and then quickly out of it again; I'm looking for a more
	permanent bulk storage approach to our disk space problem.

------
mike

jbn@wdl1.UUCP (05/14/85)

     The same day that Storage Technology announced that it was abandoning
its 4GB laser disk product, IBM announced a 4.5GB magnetic disk drive.
Unfortunately, the IBM drive is only available at present with a hideously
expensive controller for IBM mainframes.  But the technology is clearly
there on the magnetic side.