[comp.edu] The history of CS

hes@ecsvax.UUCP (Henry Schaffer) (01/27/88)

In article <990@rocky.STANFORD.EDU>, lewis@rocky.STANFORD.EDU (Bil Lewis) writes:

>   One thing which I have missed in my education is any sense of
> history. ...

>   In this day and age of video, I would expect to see some of what I
> want in an easily digested form. ...

> -Bil

  Not a video, but easily digested describes many of the articles in
the journal cited above.  (It used to be an AFIPS journal, but got
taken over by Springer and the price went out of sight.)  Loads of
good articles, many pictures, good correspondence.  Take a look through
back issues (I would imagine most univ. libraries would have them) and
you might find it covers the history nicely.  (The Editor in Chief,
Bernie Galler, is one of the very knowledgable people in computing, and
had a hand in creating quite a bit of the history in the field.)

--henry schaffer  n c state univ

jsnyder@june.cs.washington.edu (John Snyder) (01/29/88)

In article <990@rocky.STANFORD.EDU> lewis@rocky.STANFORD.EDU (Bil Lewis) writes:
>  One thing which I have missed in my education is any sense of
>history. ...
>  In this day and age of video, I would expect to see some of what I
>want in an easily digested form.  ...
>
>Q2:  Would YOU like to see such things?  Would you take class time to show
>a film on history?

I would very much like to see such things.  CS really needs to develop
a sense of history (not to mention a philosophical underpinning).
Actually, truthful videos could be embarrassing -- they could show
how often we reinvent the wheel in CS.

jsnyder@june.cs.washington.edu              John R. Snyder
{ihnp4,decvax,ucbvax}!uw-beaver!jsnyder     Dept. of Computer Science, FR-35
                                            University of Washington
206/543-7798                                Seattle, WA 98195

tracer@stb.UUCP (Jeff Boeing) (02/13/88)

Fortunately, there are indeed a good number of films, some quite educational,
dealing with the history of Computer Science.

UNfortunately, they are all (at least that I know of) put out by major computer
oriented corporations, and so tend to be extremely slanted.  After all, would
IBM tell how bad a kludge its 360 was on film?

--
Jeff Boeing (which is not my real name)   |   uunet!stb.uucp!tracer