From: Jeffrey Shapard             To: Frank Odasz
Subject: Howdy from Japan
Message class: Public             Message base: General

Howdy, Frank, and you other folks back there in Montana.  My name is
Jeffrey Shapard, and I am coming in from Tokyo.  I am a native of the
Big Sky Country -- born in Cut Bank, high schooled in Billings,
and undergraduated in Mizzoo.  I cam to Japan in 1981 to teachk
English (can't tell by my writing here, but I am doing battle with
noisy international phone lines, a peculiar satellite echo,o and the
fast 'hot' menus on this system y'all got here), and alonG abkout
oO late 1983 I got involved with micros and then telecom.  I now run
a Tokyo-based computer conferencing system... in English <smile>, and
I sure hope we can get together.  I sure do get mighty lonely for
Montana from time to time... daily.
Our system, called TWICS BeeLINE, is operated as a commercial
enterprise,
but we are presently owned by the same educational organization that
kindly pays my salary, and ever since we first got started, education
and cross-cultural activities have been our general goals.  It would
be nice if we could help build some bridges between folks in Montana
and folks in Japan and elsewhere on this side of the pond.

No. 92  01/25/88   07:11:01
From: Jeffrey Shapard             To: Frank Odasz
Subject: Howdy kfrom Japan (c
Message class: Public             Message base: General

Well, you guys are literal when you say 20 lines, right?
Anyway, if you find your way near to a local U.S. Tymnet access point,
call 'em, login as TOKYO (for a couple more weeks at least), and then
login again as TWICS, and you will be conneced to our host here
in Tokyo.  Hit CR once or twice, and at our username prompt, login
as GUEST or NEW or SIGNUP.  If you go through the application
procedure,
I can provide you with a special internaional members subscription,
free.  You can also get to us via direct dial modem (expensive) at:
     intl81-3-351-8244   (300/1200/2400bps)
Here's to warm toes for you guys, and the beginning someday of some
Montana-Japan networking.  (Sure would make ol' Mike happy, I'll bet.)
See ya around, folks, and...  Tassha de naa!
--jefu@DCTWCS.DAS.NET  (aka Jeffrey Shapard @ TWICS in Tokyo)

--
Patt Haring                 {sun!hoptoad,cmcl2!phri}!dasys1!patth
Big Electric Cat Public Access Unix (212) 879-9031 - System Operator

Three aspects of wisdom:  intelligence, justice & kindness.