[comp.edu] Mental arithmetic was: Calculators in Exams

tlh@cs.purdue.EDU (Thomas L. Hausmann) (02/28/88)

In article <24997@cca.CCA.COM>, g-rh@cca.CCA.COM (Richard Harter) writes:
> In article <7301@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> zwicky@pterodactyl.cis.ohio-state.edu (Elizabeth D. Zwicky) writes:
> >up was that he was doing cross-multiplication, just like the books have
> >you do. That gets good scores on tests, because it looks right. I
> >was moving the decimal place to get 10% and then multiplying that,
> >which math teachers fail because the intermediate steps aren't "right"
> >but it sure works.)
> 	One question -- what did you mean by cross multiplication.  To
> me, this means the following method.  Example:
> 	523
> 	469
> 	---
>      245287
> <two methods given for hand solution>

I use a mental chalkboard and visualize myself working the problem by hand.
i.e.  523
      469
      ---
     4707
    3138
   2092
   ------
   245287

One's capacity to do this is probably limited.  I haven't "pushed it" to see
how big of numbers I can handle.

Tom Hausmann       Dept. of Computer Sciences     Purdue University
tlh@mordred.cs.purdue.edu    | My ideas?  There has never been an original
...!purdue!tlh               | thought since Plato.