[comp.edu] Usenet as an educational system

peter@yunexus.UUCP (Peter Roosen-Runge) (02/16/88)

From Ivan Illich's DESCHOOLING SOCIETY (Harper & Row: 1970), Chapter 6,
Learning Webs:

"A good educational system should have three purposes:
it should provide all who want to learn with access
to available resources at any time in their lives; empower all who want to share
what they know to find those who want to learn it from them; and finally,
furnish all who want to present an issue to the public with the opportunity to
make their challenge known."

Could there be a more apt expression of the potential of Usenet?

While Illich has appeared more recently as a ranting 'computerphobe'
(CoEvolution Quarterly, Winter 1983),  I suspect that his prophetic
concept of non-manipulative, spontaneously usable "convivial" tools
and institutions have had a subterranean influence on what we might call the
implicit ethos of Usenet, and perhaps of Unix as well.

                             Peter Roosen-Runge
                             Dept. of Computer Science
                             York University, Toronto, Canada

                             Bitnet: CS100006@YUSOL

gilbert@hci.hw.ac.uk (Gilbert Cockton) (03/02/88)

In article <327@yunexus.UUCP> peter@yunexus.UUCP (Peter Roosen-Runge) writes:
>From Ivan Illich's DESCHOOLING SOCIETY (Harper & Row: 1970), Chapter 6,
>
>"A good educational system should have three purposes:
>it should provide all who want to learn with access
>to available resources at any time in their lives; ...
>
>Could there be a more apt expression of the potential of Usenet?

USENET does not cover Illich's first requirement - all available
learning resources can not ever become available on USENET.  For one, the
nature of the medium will restrict what can be available, even though the
'requests for help/info etc.' mailings do allow net knowledge to be
somewhat user-driven.  However, we aren't representative, so many
resources won't reach the net.

--
Gilbert Cockton, Scottish HCI Centre, Heriot-Watt University, Chambers St.,
Edinburgh, EH1 1HX.  JANET:  gilbert@uk.ac.hw.hci