[comp.edu] Mental arithmetic

bulko@ut-sally.UUCP (Bill Bulko) (03/05/88)

In article <8314@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU> roberta@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU (Roberta Millstein) writes:

>Is anyone else here *unable* to do mental arithmetic?  Yes, I had all the
>drills, etc, etc, and have absolutely no problem with a pencil and paper, but
>as soon as I try to keep more than two numbers in my head, I'm lost.  I can
>manage the bit about doing the decimal point, and can keep a running total of
>groceries if I round to the nearest dollar--but even the latter takes some
>concentration.  Forget multiplying in my head, I can't remember where I've
>been.  Is this just me or what?

It's not just you.  I'm very good at handling numbers;  given pencil and
paper (or sufficiently small numbers) I can whip through calculations
very quickly.  But sometimes I feel like I was born without any registers
in my CPU:  I cannot store any numbers (beyond a couple of digits) for
later use!  In computing 15% tips, for instance, I use the 10% + 5% method
that everyone [who's anyone :-)] uses, but the memory is the problem:  by the
time I've computed the 5% part, I've forgotten what the result of the 10%
computation was (or vice versa).  It takes me much longer than necessary to
do things like this in my head, since I have to "recite" subtotals several
times to commit them to more permanent memory before I move on.  What an
annoyance.

>>P.S. By the way, the same goes for doing arithmetic long hand.  When's
>>the last time you balanced your checkbook by hand?
>
>Actually, believe it or not, I almost always do it by hand.  It's too annoying
>to have to worry about whether or not I've pressed the right keys.  I can
>do it much faster and more accurately by hand.  With a pen.  ;-)

Me too.  I trust my calculations considerably more than I trust my accuracy
in keying in the numbers;  besides, the calculator slows me down.  For most
everyday calculations, it takes me longer to go get a calculator (even if
it's in the same room as me) than it does to do the calculation on paper.
I only use calculators for:
 - multiplications, divisions, and higher functions
 - addition/subtraction of more than two large numbers, where I would
   otherwise have to write down the subtotal in lieu of memorizing it.
And yes, I use a pen in my checkbook, too.  :-)

     Does anyone else besides me prefer adding/subtracting numbers from
left to right (for checkbook-sized numbers or smaller)?  (Of course, this
depends on your balance. . .)  I sometimes get funny looks from people who
watch me writing totals from left to right as though I were writing English.
(I have no trouble storing a series of carries along a ten-digit number. . .
maybe that's it!  I only have one register, but I can access the bits
individually!)

					Bill

	     Artificial Intelligence:  the art of making computers
		      that behave like the ones in movies
Bill Bulko						The University of Texas
bulko@sally.UTEXAS.EDU				Department of Computer Sciences