[comp.edu] Colleges

bek@brl-adm.ARPA (Bryan E. Kelly ) (03/26/88)

     I was wondering if anybody out there could recommend a good
Computer Science and Mathematics school.  Not a Stanford or Cor-
nell, something out of the Ivy status.  So far I am considering
James  Madison, University of North Carolina, and the University
of Maryland(Baltimore County).  I know these schools  aren't the
best in the country but I have heard some good things about them.
Any response to the three that I've been accepted to so far or
knew ideas drop me a line.

                                            Bryan

 Reply by e-mail to: bek@BRL.ARPA

rgsmeb@abcom.ATT.COM (Michel Behna) (03/29/88)

From article <12641@brl-adm.ARPA>, by bek@brl-adm.ARPA (Bryan E. Kelly ):

>      I was wondering if anybody out there could recommend a good
> Computer Science and Mathematics school.  Not a Stanford or Cor-

I would suggest University of Illinois at Champaign. They have a terrific
department.

Also try Purdue University in Indiana.

Try University of Texas at Austin and University of Central Florida....
Michel Behna

ddl@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Don Lewis) (03/30/88)

In article <437@abcom.ATT.COM> rgsmeb@abcom.ATT.COM (Michel Behna) writes:
>From article <12641@brl-adm.ARPA>, by bek@brl-adm.ARPA (Bryan E. Kelly ):
>>
>>      I was wondering if anybody out there could recommend a good
>> Computer Science and Mathematics school.  Not a Stanford or Cor-
>
>Try University of Texas at Austin and University of Central Florida....
>Michel Behna

The University of Central Florida (UCF) is supposed to have one of the
best CIS programs in the southeast.  I know that they consistently rank
higher than UF (where I am now).  As for their mathematics department,
I don't know anything.  Also, I have heard that lots of scholarships are
available for UCF.

-Don Lewis
Univ. of Florida

lin@sunburst.DAB.GE.COM (John Lin) (04/07/88)

In article <13837@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> ddl@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Don Lewis) writes:
>From article <12641@brl-adm.ARPA>, by bek@brl-adm.ARPA (Bryan E. Kelly ):
>>
>>      I was wondering if anybody out there could recommend a good
>> Computer Science and Mathematics school.  Not a Stanford or Cor-
>
>The University of Central Florida (UCF) is supposed to have one of the
>best CIS programs in the southeast.  I know that they consistently rank
>higher than UF (where I am now).  As for their mathematics department,
>I don't know anything.  Also, I have heard that lots of scholarships are
>available for UCF.

Is the school being considered for undergraduate or graduate work?  This
may be important in comparing schools which have relatively new graduate
programs but established undergraduate programs.

If it is undergraduate school, what type of curriculum is being
considered?  Some schools, UF included, offer CIS majors in
different colleges (UF:engineering, liberal arts, and business).  Would it
be fair to compare an engineering CIS degree from UF to a liberal arts
degree from another institution?

What things are evaluated when someone says "xx university has a good
CIS department, better than yy"?  Does this mean better research
opportunities?  Better professors?  More MIPS/workstations/disk-space
per student?  Fresher cheese on wheat?

The point I am trying to make, is that the question needs to be much
more specific, and subsequent responses need to be supported by
some facts.

There recently was a posting to a newsgroup which ranked
the top 20(?) schools based on certain criteria.  Could someone repost
this if they still have it?

Jonathan L. Lin <lin@ge-dab.GE.COM>
                                      Simulation and Control Systems Department
                                      General Electric Company
UUCP:   ...!mcnc!codas!ge-dab!lin     1800 Volusia Ave, Rm 4336
Voice:  +1 904 239 3043               Daytona Beach, FL 32015