[comp.edu] Computers in Elementary School

cc1@CS.UCLA.EDU (04/07/88)

Hi!  (First posting in this newsgroup, so I thought I'd say hi first...)

I'm currently working part-time (12:30 - 2:30 every day) at an elementary
school near UCLA as one of two "computer teachers" or whatever...  Here's
the setup:

	o  Each classroom has one Apple //c, a monitor, and sometimes a
	   printer; a few classrooms have more

	o  There's a signup sheet for teachers to sign up for either me or
	   the other computer assistant, in blocks of one hour each, so
	   conceivably I could go to a different classroom each time

	o  The grades are first through six

	o  The common routine is for the teacher to choose two or three
	   students to "work" at the computer for that day (this can
	   vary in different classes)

	o  Mostly, the kids use the computer to play Math Blaster

	o  For the most part, the teachers are computer-illiterate

Okay, here's the dilemna:  what should I do?  Usually the teachers leave
it up to me to decide what to do, since with most of them, their extent
of computer knowledge is putting in a disk drive and turning on the
machine.  So should I sit back and watch the kids play Math Blaster?
(Which is what the other "computer assistant" does basically <a POLY
SCI major...>)  Should I try to teach them BASIC or LOGO?  (One class
was trying LOGO but they had a hard time drawing intelligible pictures,
so I wrote a short program to allow them to draw better looking pictures)
Should I try to teach things to the whole class at once, or stick to the
small (2-3 kids) groups method that seems to be common at this school?
Should I teach them how to use application software and such?  (In one
class we just finished writing a "newspaper" using News Room or whatever
the name of it was...)  Plus any software reccommendations would be
appreciated; also responses and suggestions should state the appropriate
ages (i.e.  "First graders should learn how to program in Pascal, third
graders in C, fifth in assembly, sixth in BASIC", or whatever...)

Any advice that you could offer would be appreciated!

				--Ken

patth@dasys1.UUCP (Patt Haring) (04/11/88)

In article <11012@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU>, cc1@CS.UCLA.EDU writes:

> 	o  Mostly, the kids use the computer to play Math Blaster
>
> 	o  For the most part, the teachers are computer-illiterate
>
> Okay, here's the dilemna:  what should I do?  Usually the teachers leave
> it up to me to decide what to do, since with most of them, their extent
> of computer knowledge is putting in a disk drive and turning on the
> machine.  So should I sit back and watch the kids play Math Blaster?
> (Which is what the other "computer assistant" does basically <a POLY
> SCI major...>)  Should I try to teach them BASIC or LOGO?  (One class
> was trying LOGO but they had a hard time drawing intelligible pictures,
> so I wrote a short program to allow them to draw better looking pictures)
> Should I try to teach things to the whole class at once, or stick to the
> small (2-3 kids) groups method that seems to be common at this school?
> Should I teach them how to use application software and such?  (In one
> class we just finished writing a "newspaper" using News Room or whatever
> the name of it was...)  Plus any software reccommendations would be
> appreciated; also responses and suggestions should state the appropriate
> ages (i.e.  "First graders should learn how to program in Pascal, third
> graders in C, fifth in assembly, sixth in BASIC", or whatever...)
>
> Any advice that you could offer would be appreciated!

    Good start with the NEWSROOM program, Ken!  Having the
students work on a project *together* and particularly if they
can get a hard copy (printout) of the finished product is
rewarding for them and will motivate them to pursue further
activities that will utilize the computer.

    You might want to call some of the software companies
(Sunburst in Pleasantville, NY comes to mind)  about software
review policies so that you could get the software to use/try
FREE for 30 days before you decide if it's  age/class appropriate.

   I'm sure the students would love Where in the World/USA/Europe
is Carmen San Diego? and States and Traits and Oregon Trail.
There's also the Voyage of the Mimi software together with
videos that will make the science/ecology classes more interesting
for them.

   One last tip:  try anything you can to get the teachers
started using computers.  You could try AppleWorks - there's
a Teachers Ideas & Information Exchange group that send out
disks full of templates that will work with AppleWorks for
seating plans, letters home, attendance, gradebooks, test creating,
and in this way if the teachers saw how much time and paperwork
the computer could save them, perhaps they would be more
interested in learning more about furthering their own
education with respect to the use of higher technology as an
aid to learning.

    I don't envy you the position you're in and I encourage you
to encourage the teachers as well as the students to utilitze
the computers in the classroom; teacher attitudes are communicated
to students - what might the students be thinking of their
teachers who have this ho-hum attitude about the computers
in their classrooms?

   I'd also think about teaching the children word processing -
you could use FrEdwriter, which is a very easy program for
children to use; there's also a KIDMAIL program available
that will simulate a Bulletin Board System that will allow
the kids to write messages to/from each other without the
use of a telephone or a modem.  These disks can then be
exchanged with other classes/schools or just utilitized
for the children/teachers at a certain grade level.

   There's also FrEDsender which will enable the students
to communicate via modem with children in other schools; they'll
be able to send messages, stories, articles they write with
FrEdwriter.

   Please contact me by email and I'll give you more
information about these programs.

   Good luck!  Apple ][ forever!

--
Patt Haring                 {sun!hoptoad,cmcl2!phri}!dasys1!patth
Big Electric Cat Public Access Unix (212) 879-9031 - System Operator

Three aspects of wisdom:  intelligence, justice & kindness.

mtbb34@ms.uky.edu (Becky McEllistrem) (04/15/88)

In article <11012@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> cc1@CS.UCLA.EDU (Ken Bartlett) writes:
>Any advice that you could offer would be appreciated!

     Really? How long do you have... I'm helping some teachers out here
on a bulletin board and would be happy to give you their addresses.  What
we're tryin to do is set up a statewide communicatons system for the teachers
of computers.  The ideas are so numerous and each teacher handles their class
so differently that I'd rather write you in person and if I get enough requests
for help, I'll begin posting publicly.

Let me know and mail to me... This is what I'd like my career to be (consulting
with teachers in computer labs/classrooms) and no you SHOULDN'T let kids play
games ALL the time. They have their place too.

Becky
--
--  "I ALways push the doors marked pull!"- (I don't know who said that.)
--  Becky McEllistrem  (Tadger)