[comp.edu] Software/hardware for blind students

leigh@unibase.UUCP (Leigh Calnek) (05/03/88)

I am trying to identify software/hardware alternatives for
use with blind children in elementary and secondary schools.
We are starting from scratch, so any comments of people and
places that have things going would be of interest.

I realize a better group for this would be misc.handicap
however I do not have access to this group.

If there is sufficient interest as indicated by the

------------------------
uunet!mcl!unibase!leigh
Leigh Calenk			Co-ordinator, Education Technology
3002 Harding St.		Saskatchewan Education
Regina, Sask. Canada		2220 College Ave.
S4V 0Y4				Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
phone: home (306)789-9007	S4P 3V7
       bus. (306)787-9448

chrise@carr.UUCP (Chris Eden) (05/14/88)

In article <82@unibase.UUCP> leigh@unibase.UUCP (Leigh Calnek) writes:
>I am trying to identify software/hardware alternatives for
>use with blind children in elementary and secondary schools.
>We are starting from scratch, so any comments of people and
>places that have things going would be of interest.
>
>I realize a better group for this would be misc.handicap
>however I do not have access to this group.

We have, for some time now, been using an IBM PC with the DECtalk
speech synthesizer and SoftVert to run it.  So far, we have only
had one visually impaired student work on it (a University student)
and there have not been too many problems.  I'm not sure how such a
system would get a long with younger students, but it is not hard to
learn, and the voices are clear and easy to understand.  Anyway,
that's one possibility for you -- More will be posted if/when I find
them.