[comp.edu] student computers and computer laboratories

webber@aramis.rutgers.edu (Bob Webber) (07/04/88)

In article <1019@ndsuvax.UUCP>, ncmagel@ndsuvax.UUCP (ken magel) writes:

>      What should the role of student-owned computers be in Computer
>Science undergraduate education?  SOme schools require all students or
>at least all CS majors to purchase microcomputers usaully at special
>prices.  IS this what we should all be doing?  WHy or why not?  How
>about software?  As OS/2 and other more sophisticated micro operating
>systems increase in costs and machine hardware requirements, how can
>we provide students with these as well for their own machines?  What
>of the need or desire to update software every few months?  Is a
>diversity of machines and software among students desireable,
>acceptable, or too difficult to handle?

Well, the first thing to say is that there is nothing that ``we should
all be doing.''  There are many ways to solve these problems and alot
of it has to do with just what you think the problems are.  A reasonable
computer science curricula could run along the following lines:
   Start with basic computer architecture.  Supplement it with finite
     automata theory and formal logic/computability.
   Have students put together kit 68000-based micro using IBM-PC bus
     (as discussed in recent issues of Radio&Electronics). [The reason
     for the IBM-PC bus is for cheap i/o -- the reason for the 68000
     (or 68008) depends on what you think about about the usability of
     the 80826 (or 8086).]
   Bring up MINIX on it [some minor patching for your specific architecture.]
      and your favourite ``free'' interpretor and editor.  A version of
      Scheme would make a nice base from which to introduce programming.
   Move on to assembler and C to open up the possibility of reasonable
      system-level fiddling under MINIX.  C++ would also be interesting,
      but might take a bit of work to make it compatible with the amount
      of memory you can put cheaply on a system.
   Fill in rest of curriculum to taste.
   [With a bit of fiddling, the total computing cost per student for 4 years
     would be $1k (including hardware and software) or $125 per student
     per semester (assuming 2 semester year).  If you figure $300 of that
     $1000 is for hard drive, then it could be reduced to $86 per student
     by having the school supply central file service.  Centralized file
     service also makes email and bboards easier (both of which are a great
     help in class interaction).  Other economies are possible depending
     on how much hardware you want to expose them to.]

---- BOB (webber@athos.rutgers.edu ; rutgers!athos.rutgers.edu!webber)