[comp.edu] CS with Laboratories

ncmagel@ndsuvax.UUCP (ken magel) (07/04/88)

     Recently, a draft proposal from an ACM group headed by Peter Denning
which is updating Curriculum '78 suggested that Computer Science programs adopt
the model of many other sciences ( Physics, Chemistry, etc.) which use courses
and laboratory sessions.  The course meetings cover the theory and provide
motivation while the laboratory sessions handle how to do things of interest
to that science.  In Computer Science, the introductory courses would cover
the theory including some automata theory, proofs of program correctness, etc.
while the laboratories would teach how to program.
     One problem with this approach it seems to me is timing.  Many Universities
are having to reduce funding these days or at least are not growing nearly as
quickly as in the late 1960's and 1970's.  Computer Science is no longer the
darling area it was just a few years ago.  Enrollments in CS have dropped by
at least a third nationally and much more in many programs.  How can CS
programs convince their Central Administrations that substantial additional
expense for laboratory facilities is justified?  Of course, the top fifty
schools or so in the country already have nice lab facilities, but what of the
rest which are primarily depending on a central mainframe computer and perhaps
a few clusters of micro's?  Chemistry, Physics, Biology and the other lab-based
science education programs are finding it extremely difficult and often
impossible to maintain upto date labs for their students and they already have
been using labs for generations.  SOme science programs are going to computer
simulations instead of actual labs.
     Are we in real danger of having "true" Computer Science taught only at
the top fifty schools with the rest having due to economic factors to teach
MIS or data processing?  Would this be good for American CS education?

gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu (07/05/88)

I disagree with the base note writer.  Think back a mere 15 years --
how was computer science taught at the major schools?  People
submitted card decks to computer operators and picked up their
printouts 1/2 an hour later.  If you were a grad student at an
exceptional department, you could interact with the front panel of a
PDP-11.  These schools still produced good programmers.

The basics necessary for teaching computer science have never been
cheaper.  Computer hardware DOES NOT obey the economic principals that
cause nightmares for Chemistry and Physics departments.  Even small
schools should have little difficulty affording the equipment to teach
compiler techniques, optimization, operating systems, AI, or numerical
analysis.  However, it may take some curriculum (software) development
by an expert professor and some graduate students.

Advanced (not Beginning) Computer graphics may be the only area where
you'll have problems.  Ideally, every student might need a PIXAR
machine, or at least a Iris workstation.

VLSI and PAL design is another story.  These technologies are
expensive and state-of-the-art equipment is not getting much cheaper.
Maybe we can call this part of the curriculum EE, and dispense with
the problem?  I think ALS7400 TTL technology is still sufficient to
learn the rudimentary basics, much as card-deck programming was close
enough "to the real thing" in the 1970's.

chari@killer.UUCP (Chris Whatley) (07/06/88)

In article <82400008@p.cs.uiuc.edu>, gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

> Advanced (not Beginning) Computer graphics may be the only area where
> you'll have problems.  Ideally, every student might need a PIXAR
> machine, or at least a Iris workstation.

Maybe the new chearper workstations like the NeXT which costs a fraction of
what a Pixar or Iris costs will solve some of these problems. I am an
intermediate level CS student and I plan to use it. I understand that
some people form the Pixar group (Michael Hawley) are implementing similar
technology at NeXT.

Chris

"Henry, have you and Mary had sexual intercourse?"  -Mrs. X
chari@killer.UUCP
CI$:71370,1654

reggie@pdn.UUCP (George W. Leach) (07/06/88)

In article <82400008@p.cs.uiuc.edu>, gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

> I disagree with the base note writer.  Think back a mere 15 years --
> how was computer science taught at the major schools?  People
> submitted card decks to computer operators and picked up their
> printouts 1/2 an hour later.  If you were a grad student at an
> exceptional department, you could interact with the front panel of a
> PDP-11.  These schools still produced good programmers.

    Yes, they did.  I never touched a crt as an undergraduate.  When many
years later I started teaching I was not impressed with the PC trend.  But
I must say that it does accomplish one important advancement.  That is
the availability factor.  How many runs did the average student get on the
card reader-input/line printer-output system in a good day?   And God forbid
the machine crashed.  Undergrads do not need to be working with the leading
edge technology.  They just need available computing resources to meet their
needs.

--
George W. Leach					Paradyne Corporation
..!uunet!pdn!reggie				Mail stop LF-207

dickey@ssc-vax.UUCP (Frederick J Dickey) (07/06/88)

In article <82400008@p.cs.uiuc.edu>, gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

> Think back a mere 15 years --
> how was computer science taught at the major schools?  People
> submitted card decks to computer operators and picked up their
> printouts 1/2 an hour later.

Wow! I wish I went to your school! The turnaround where I went was more
like the rest of the day.

ddb@ns.ns.com (David Dyer-Bennet) (07/08/88)

In article <82400008@p.cs.uiuc.edu>, gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

> I disagree with the base note writer.  Think back a mere 15 years --
> how was computer science taught at the major schools?  People
> submitted card decks to computer operators and picked up their
> printouts 1/2 an hour later.  If you were a grad student at an
> exceptional department, you could interact with the front panel of a
> PDP-11.
  Well, I wasn't at a major school, but when I was in college starting
in '72, students had access to an interactive timesharing system and
several "workstations", as well as a standalone "batch" system and
remote batch on a big (cdc 6600) system.  Most of the work was, of course,
done on the timesharing system and the workstations.  I also got to hack
hardware on several pdp 8's.  This was as an undergraduate, at a school with
no gradute program or computer science department (specifically, Carleton
College in Northfield, MN).  I'm editing out the additional opportunities
available to me from working for the computer lab sometimes, since they
didn't apply to everybody.
  If the "major schools" were as bad as you say, I guess I have one
more reason to be thankful for having been to a minor one.  (I'd never
recommend to anybody that they go to a big school for undergraduate
education.)

henry@garp.mit.edu (Henry Mensch) (07/08/88)

reggie@pdn.UUCP (George W. Leach) wrote:
->Undergrads do not need to be working with the leading
->edge technology.  They just need available computing resources to meet their
->needs.

Think about this, though: what are their needs, and what are they
being taught?  Are you teaching students about current and future
technology and methods with abacuses?

# Henry Mensch  /  <henry@garp.mit.edu>  /  E40-379 MIT,  Cambridge, MA
# {ames,cca,decvax,harvard,lotus,mit-eddie,rochester,soft21}!garp!henry

reggie@pdn.UUCP (George W. Leach) (07/08/88)

In article <2726@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU>, henry@garp.mit.edu (Henry Mensch) writes:
> reggie@pdn.UUCP (George W. Leach) wrote:
> ->Undergrads do not need to be working with the leading
> ->edge technology.  They just need available computing resources to meet their
> ->needs.
>
> Think about this, though: what are their needs, and what are they
> being taught?  Are you teaching students about current and future
> technology and methods with abacuses?

     Sorry, let me clarify that statement.  Non-CS students and CS students
early on in their studies do not require leading edge technologies.  For them
PCs will suffice their needs.  In the junior and senior level courses the
CS students will require better equipment or a better school :-)

--

wes@engr.uky.edu (Wes Morgan) (07/08/88)

In article <2726@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU>, henry@garp.mit.edu (Henry Mensch) writes:
> reggie@pdn.UUCP (George W. Leach) wrote:
> ->Undergrads do not need to be working with the leading
> ->edge technology.  They just need available computing resources to meet their
> ->needs.
>
> Think about this, though: what are their needs, and what are they
> being taught?  Are you teaching students about current and future
> technology and methods with abacuses?

Bravo, Henry!  If today's undergrads are going to be making tomorrow's
advances, they need access to the best their university can offer them.
<Gosh, that sounded like a telethon!>  As it stands now, most undergrads
are thrown into the workplace with very little knowledge of the "state
of the art".  Most schools still teach tired old PL/1 and COBOL, despite
the emergence of 4GL's and especially Ada.  System Architecture is still
taught using the IBM System/370 architecture at UKentucky....*sigh*

What about courses in parallel processing?  It's not easy to jump into
programming for parallel processors, yet very little attention is given
to the topic in most university curriculums.  How about artificial intel-
ligence?  expert systems?

Undergraduate studies need to be moved into the 1980's.  So many universi-
ties are still teaching the 1960's basics.....and that's a shame.

Wes [IDENTIFICATION DIVISION.] Morgan

--
 wes@engr.uky.edu OR wes%ukecc.uucp@ukma OR ...{rutgers, uunet}!ukma!ukecc!wes
     Lint is merely the system's means of dampening the programmer's ego.