[comp.edu] Victims of Cheating

gh@ai.toronto.edu (Graeme Hirst) (07/26/88)

In article <2935@utastro.UUCP> nather@utastro.UUCP (Ed Nather) writes:
>But who is cheated?  Who is the "victim" of this "crime?"  Only the
>students who come to a university, pay to get an "education," and
>leave as ignorant as when they arrived.  I think this is stupid, but
>I can't find it heinous.

If a student graduates with an undeserved A, and uses this grade to get a
job, then the following people are victims:

(1)  The student with a genuine but lower grade, who might otherwise have
     got the job.

(2)  The employer, who will pay this person a year's salary or more before
     finally firing him or her.

(3)  Future applicants from the same university, whom the employer will
     now presume to be badly educated.

As long as college grades are used by others as a measure of competence,
then students who cheat to raise their grades are defrauding anyone, such
as a future employer, to whom they show those grades, and this is the
main reason why they cheat in the first place.

lamaster@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Hugh LaMaster) (07/27/88)

In article <88Jul26.135123edt.776@neat.ai.toronto.edu> gh@ai.toronto.edu (Graeme Hirst) writes:

>In article <2935@utastro.UUCP> nather@utastro.UUCP (Ed Nather) writes:
>>But who is cheated?  Who is the "victim" of this "crime?"  Only the
>job, then the following people are victims:

>(1)  The student with a genuine but lower grade, who might otherwise have
>     got the job.

>(2)  The employer, who will pay this person a year's salary or more before
>     finally firing him or her.

>(3)  Future applicants from the same university, whom the employer will
>     now presume to be badly educated.

>As long as college grades are used by others as a measure of competence,
>then students who cheat to raise their grades are defrauding anyone, such
>as a future employer, to whom they show those grades, and this is the
>main reason why they cheat in the first place.

I agree with with Graeme Hirst completely:  Anyone who undertakes the
responsibility of handing out grades also undertakes the responsibility
of handing them out fairly.  And anyone who laughs off the problem of
cheating is directly causing injury to honest students.  And teaching
another lesson: "You had better cheat, because it is a requirement for
success in my class."

I have to observe, however, that Universities with large, impersonal
classes are asking for trouble unless they go to extra lengths to prevent
cheating.  I think the solution is to have classes small enough and
professors interested enough that students and professors develop a
personal relationship during classes.  (I know, dream on ...).

--
  Hugh LaMaster, m/s 233-9,  UUCP ames!lamaster
  NASA Ames Research Center  ARPA lamaster@ames.arc.nasa.gov

reggie@pdn.UUCP (George W. Leach) (07/29/88)

(Graeme Hirst) writes:

>>In article <2935@utastro.UUCP> nather@utastro.UUCP (Ed Nather) writes:

>>>But who is cheated?  Who is the "victim" of this "crime?"

>>(1)  The student with a genuine but lower grade, who might otherwise have
>>     got the job.

       How about the person with the genuine grade?  While it is true that
the genuine grade will show up in the fact that the person probably learned
something in the procees, their grade is still somewhat tarnished by the
fact that it was also received by someone who did not deserve it.

>>(2)  The employer, who will pay this person a year's salary or more before
>>     finally firing him or her.

       That is assuming the person is found out and that the company does
indeed fire that person.  Some companies in this day and age of law suits
are rather reluctant to fire employees for these reasons.

       I think by now employers realize that a degree and good grades don't
mean all that much.  Not having good grades may mean something.  That is why
there is an interview process.  Even still there are people who are good
interview takers, just like some people are good test takers.  There are
even people who can put on a good appearance on the job and "cheat" the
company.

>>(3)  Future applicants from the same university, whom the employer will
>>     now presume to be badly educated.

       And past graduates who see their degree devaluated as well.  Just like
alumni are concerned that the football team is not the powerhouse it once
was, some are also concerned who see a program slip into mediocrity.

>I agree with with Graeme Hirst completely:  Anyone who undertakes the
>responsibility of handing out grades also undertakes the responsibility
>of handing them out fairly.  And anyone who laughs off the problem of
>cheating is directly causing injury to honest students.  And teaching
>another lesson: "You had better cheat, because it is a requirement for
>success in my class."

       I taught at the same university that I attended both as an undergrad
and a graduate student.  I therefore had a personal interest in stopping
cheaters.  The class sizes were never more than 30, so it was feasible for
me to attempt to catch cheating.  I can see that with the increase in
enrollment in CS departments that we experienced in the early to middle
part of this decade this became more difficult.  Many of the early undergrad
courses are taught by an army of TAs, who barely know what they are teaching.
In many cases they probably are not as concerned about preventing cheating
as they are with earning money so they can continue their own education.
I have also seen people teaching whose main interest is research and not
teaching.  They may not be so concerned as well.  Only when the teacher is
personally involved in the course at every level, including grading papers,
tests and assignments, can some measure of control be placed on this problem.
Many times a TA will be friends with those in the class that they are either
teaching or grading papers for.  The temptation to aid friends is too great
in this situation.

        The bottom line is that in order to stop cheating, all those in the
process must be concerned and must take action.  If an employer finds that
a graduate is not up to snuff, then this should be reported back to the
university.  Teachers and students must be more concerned about cheating.
I think most students view cheating as "I don't cheat, but I don't mind
that others do".  Students who don't cheat should be concerned.

        Another problem I see is in the attitude of those who are caught
cheating.  I have actually been requested by a cheater to overlook the
fact that I caught him cheating!  The nerve of this person!  He was not
even a bit sorry about it.  He was only sorry that he was caught.  There
is no concern for learning, only for achieving the grade.  These types
of attitudes are ingrained long before students reach the university level.
It is indicative of a basic problem in our society today.  And as such it
needs to be addressed in the home, on the job and at school.

--
George W. Leach					Paradyne Corporation
..!uunet!pdn!reggie				Mail stop LF-207