[comp.edu] Can we know so little

dya@unccvax.UUCP (York David Anthony) (07/29/88)

(I have removed followups from news.admin and soc.women)

In article <24100@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA>, wlieberm@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (William Lieberman) writes:

> Last night on Ted Koppel (ABC Nightline TV) they discussed a dismaying
> [According to the National Geographic survey]
> so should we all), 75% of Americans (I'm sure they excluded children)
> cannot point roughly to the Persian Gulf on an unmarked map. One woman
> (on videotape) pointed to Northwest AFRICA! (Or was she trying to point
> out Vietnam?!!!)  5% of Americans do NOT know that Washington, D.C. is the
> capital of the the U.S.  Something like 45% think that when it is summertime
> in the US, it is NOT wintertime in Australia!!

  (other glowing examples of how graduates from a Florida teachers'
college couldn't find Florida)

	I always wondered why the (well, I think it is the) Bellvue-
Weschler Adult Intelligence Scale asked questions like "Who is the
president of the United States." Barring pathology, like a nasty
bad brain abcess or some congenital condition, one would think that
ordinary people wouldn't get this wrong.

	Well, when I called Domino's last night, the person answering
the phone obviously didn't pay attention to the Domino's code of
service (namely, have a damn pen in your hand and listen carefully
to the order.) Five times of spelling "A-n-t-h-o-n-y" and getting
Zachary on the box really makes me wonder.

	A trip to the chain auto parts store is a crisis in
idiocy. (Last week: "I'd like a temperature switch for a 1985
LTD 5.0 L Police car." What did you say? 77 Mustang? 4 cylinder?
Oil pressure switch? Oh, the oil pressure switch is the same
as the temperature switch (Pure bullshit).--The previous week,
this numb-nut argued with my wife for 10 minutes about how the
4-way flasher and the turn signal flasher were the same on a
'77 Pinto. Couldn't be. This violates FMVSS regulations...)

	You guys want people to name NATO member countries?
Know just **one** state senator? Find Florida on an unmarked
map of the US? (Actually, this unmarked map business is recommended
in many neurology texts as part of a diagnostic regimen for
determining spatial difficulties...I wonder if appearing before
the "Nightline" cameras has a similar diagnostic effacacy?)
Forget this.  The nation's educational quality is the bottom
of the barrel.

	Mr. Lieberman has a serious complaint here. Lest any
of you net.people think he's whining about not having a nation
of individuals who can't compile a new Unix (with a few new
device drivers thrown in for spice) or discuss the significance
of Schrodinger's equation, or outline the history and significant
points to be considered in critical review of 18th century
British literature....no, sireee, we are talking about either
a massive epidemic of degenerative brain disease for which we
do not know the etiology, or a totally irresponsible management
of the educational system.

	The stimulus-response education on computer terminals
isn't going to hack it either, folks.  (One of the Christian
media (CBN?) is advertising a chain of computer-oriented schools
whose graduates test well above national average on SCAT/STEP).

	I'm not that bright (IQ ~115, SAT about 1140, ACT 29/36)
-a B-average high school and college student- and am living proof
that one need not be exposed to computerized instruction until
college.  I didn't write my first line of serious code until about
3 years ago (I'm 28 now), and didn't use a time-sharing system
until I was 19 (and then, it was a Burroughs B6700 running Algol
programs under MCP, the I/O being a Teletype KSR 33....oh, what
fun!!!).

	So, with all this computerisation, we're raising a whole
batch of terminal operators. (Last time I was in Food Lion, the
cashier went beserk because the method of ringing up "Food Lion
Diet Cola" is something like 18 (cans) <look up> 20, which then
computes the correct price, $1.19 per six-pack. Total-flipout
city here, 'cause the damn Food Lion computer crashed. Well,
the cash registers still work when it crashes, but the look up
function doesn't. The cashier couldn't just enter $1.19 <groc>
3 times, and instead, fumbled around for about 2 minutes looking
for a hand calculator to evaluate 3 * 1.19. AAARRRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!)

	Terminal operators aren't going to do us a hell of a lot
of good if some madman airbursts a nice nuclear shell, taking out
all that wonderful hardware with EMP.  They are also not going to
make good craftspersons.  At least the shovel doesn't have a
microprocessor in it (yet).

The problems with education, as I see it are:

1) Teaching children at way too early an age to use the computer
   as a S-R device, and not as a **tool** for solving problems.
   (Frankly, I'd hate to compute nighttime limits for all the
    radio stations on 1200 kHz, or solve 30 simultaneous first-
    order differential equations, without one. These are not
    computer uses I find objectionable. In both cases, though,
    I had to write my own software.)

2) Not teaching children, adolescents, and adults to use the
   LIBRARY.  Even the **public** library in a small town, not
   to mention the University library.  This results from, unfortunately,
3) Allowing a wholly inadequate literacy standard to pass
   as "education." As far as I am concerned, my high school
   diploma is a worthless document.  Unless a twist of fate
   or notoriety qualifies you for the Morehead scholarship,
   or 1600 on the SAT, or valedictorian, the vast majority of
   us working stiffs have nothing to indicate whether or not
   our diploma indicates intelligence above some of the illiterate
   persons who pass through school doors every day.

4) Irresponsible scientific education. More irresponsibility,
   in other paths to problem-solving. (Life is just one big
   problem solving behaviour, right ( :-|)).  Every student
   of high school should be able to at least perform a classical
   scientific method investigation, even if it is as brain damaged
   as collecting data on what beer tastes better or who makes
   the perfect peanut-butter sandwich.

5) Brain-dead education in the arts and humanities. Theatre,
   music appreciation and theory, basic systems of philosophical
   thought, and the " art arts " (i.e. sculpture, painting, etc.)
   should be taught every semester.   My high school didn't provide
   'em.  Fortunately, my mother wasn't a cultural moron.  College
   helped, somewhat.  "Problem solving" (or critical thinking)
   in the arts and humanities is EQUAL IN IMPORTANCE to the
   scientific method, particularly if you are a career design
   engineer.

6) Lack of basic skills education. Basic ** survival ** skills.
   How does the legal system work? What is a contract? What is
   commercial paper? How do you buy a house? set up a checking
   and savings account? turn on gas and electric? keep from being
   ripped off? I never saw this in high school (except as a
   demonstration of "continuous compounding" in precalculus).

7) No spiritual focus whatsoever in the educational system. I don't
   mean shit like pro-life or pro-choice, prayer in the schools
   etc.  These are symptoms of a larger problem.  Perhaps I mean
   dealing with one's subjective self.  Mabye not.  It wasn't
   until I was 16 that fate allowed me to cut classes and experience
   my first winter in Virginia outside four walls and fluorescent
   lights (mabye it was the methanol in all that mimeograph
   paper that made my schooling such a fog...).  Everyone has
   these things, which make life worth living (you think running
   Lotus 1-2-3 does?).  Man is obstensibly a **spiritual** being,
   not a finite state machine.  You'd never know this by looking
   in a classroom. You'd barely recognize this by looking in
   some (generic term) places of worship.

8) Not stressing enough the general importance of "learning how
   to learn." That's what college did for me, disguised in the
   forms of "linear circuit analysis" and "philosophy of mind"
   in easy-to-digest, 3 hour chunks. ( sarcasm mode on here. )

	Folks, if we've got to have a monotonous, service oriented
economy of computer operators, at least we could have the decency
to educate them as children to give 'em something to do at the
checkout counter in parallel with pushing buttons.  I realize that
every person won't get something out of the 8 points above, and
there are probably points I didn't consider.  Going to post-high
school in Florida and not being able to point out where Florida
is is *pathetic.*  They should petition these persons degrees.
Seriously. If this is what my yet-to-be-conceived children have
to look forward to, I think I'll stay childless, thank you.

York David Anthony
DataSpan, Inc.

PS. Ralston Purina conducted a study (last week's Observer) which
revealed that the 10-12 year old bracket expected a **new** car
when they came of driving age.  43 % expected a Corvette (a red
one :-)). AAAAUUUUUGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.