[comp.edu] Assembler curricula, was Re: using

caasnsr@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Clifford Adams) (07/30/88)

In article <2601@ukecc.engr.uky.edu> wes@engr.uky.edu (Wes Morgan) writes:
>Why not teach machine organization concepts right alongside HLL programming?
>Certain topics, such as loop control and number crunching, could be programmed
>in both an HLL and in assembly.  This would give the beginning student both
>a better understanding of the machine and some rudimentary skills in assembly
>language.

	Here at New Mexico Tech there was (1 year ago) a course which
basically fit the above description.  It was called CS221, Computer
Organization, with an associated lab (CS221L), Systems programming.
The class taught the basics of computer and CPU organization, and
taught the PDP assembly language.  The lab taught C, and the students
each used it to write an assembler subset for our VAX 11/750.

	Overall, the class was a good introduction to assembly
language in a systems context.  This year, however, the class has
become a first-year class, and the lab has become a class of its own
(probably due to the difficulty of the lab for some students).

--
 Clifford A. Adams  ---  "I understand only inasmuch as I become."
 ForthLisp Project Programmer   (Goal: LISP interpreter in Forth)

ho@svax.cs.cornell.edu (Alex Ho) (08/01/88)

In article <2601@ukecc.engr.uky.edu> wes@engr.uky.edu (Wes Morgan) writes:

>Why not teach machine organization concepts right alongside HLL programming?
>Certain topics, such as loop control and number crunching, could be programmed
>in both an HLL and in assembly.  This would give the beginning student both
>a better understanding of the machine and some rudimentary skills in assembly
>language.  Both of these would serve him well in future, more advanced machine
>organization courses.

last semester i completed a course similiar to what you describe
above. the second of a three semester sequence of "introduction
to computer science" at u.c. berkeley, we were taught
1) programming in c; 2) programming in vax assembly; and 3) computer
architecture. the major programming project for the course was to
write a risc I simulator in c on the vax. what fun!
the goal of the course was exactly what you describe above. learn a hll
and machine architecture at the same time. it worked.

>Comments should go to comp.edu; I'm redirecting them there.
i hope it makes it there.

---

alex ho
university of california, berkeley             ho@svax.cs.cornell.edu
a lost eecs major (spending the summer at)     cornell university

erict@flatline.UUCP (j eric townsend) (08/02/88)

In article <834@nmtsun.nmt.edu>, caasnsr@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Clifford Adams) writes:
> In article <2601@ukecc.engr.uky.edu> wes@engr.uky.edu (Wes Morgan) writes:
> >Why not teach machine organization concepts right alongside HLL programming?
> >Certain topics, such as loop control and number crunching,could be programmed
> >in both an HLL and in assembly.  This would give the beginning student both
> >a better understanding of the machine and some rudimentary skills in assembly
> >language.
>
> 	Here at New Mexico Tech there was (1 year ago) a course which
> basically fit the above description.  It was called CS221, Computer
> Organization, with an associated lab (CS221L), Systems programming.
> The class taught the basics of computer and CPU organization, and
> taught the PDP assembly language.  The lab taught C, and the students
> each used it to write an assembler subset for our VAX 11/750.

There is (was?) a similar class at University of Houston.  It was based
on PDP assembly, and the students wrote various utility type programs
while getting a rough view of how utilities/commands work w/in a given
os and hardware.

There is a compiler/operating systems class pair that, as I understand
it, has the students write a simple compiler one semester and a simple
operating system the next.  I could have been lied to, however. :-)

--
Motorola Skates on Intel's Head!
J. Eric Townsend ->uunet!nuchat!flatline!erict smail:511Parker#2,Hstn,Tx,77007