[comp.edu] blaming teachers

dm@bbn.com (Dave Mankins) (08/03/88)

I believe that we err in blaming teachers for the poor performance of
our children.  Even the most enthusiastic, motivated teachers have an
uphill battle to interest our children in things that we parents are
not interested in.

Children go home to houses where there are no books, and parents
wonder why our children can't read (I read once that the average
American buys TWO books a year).  Children go home to houses where
watching television news makes you ``informed'' and parents wonder why
our children can't locate Central America on a map.

Teachers try to teach science, or try to teach the principles of
intellectual analysis, and parents burn them at the stake for teaching
heresies like ``evolution'', ``secular humanism'', or ``cultural
relativism'' --- As though teaching ethics is the role of schools and
not parents, as though the parents' ethical choices cannot withstand
exposure to the outside world.

	[The preceding paragraph is a little unfair.  MOST parents are
	 perfectly reasonable.  Unfortunately, there's a vocal
	 minority who ruin schools for the rest.  Also, I'm being a
	 bit unfair to those parents who do protest the teaching of
	 cultural relativism --- they have a valid concern that,
	 without an ethical framework, their children will be adrift
	 in an ethical sea.  Unfortunately, it remains the parents'
	 duty to give their children that framework.  If the framework
	 they give their children cannot withstand exposure to other
	 cultures and other ways of thinking, then it is the parents
	 who have failed, and not the schools who fail by exposing
	 their children to those other ways of thinking.]

The answer?  We all know what it is, I hope you'll forgive my
belaboring the obvious.  Teach your children to respect learning.
When they come home from school, have them read to you for 15 minutes
as you do the dishes, prepare dinner, or set the table.  It doesn't
matter what they read --- have them choose something and read to you.
Talk about ideas over dinner.  Give them a taste of intellectual life,
and they won't need teachers to drag them to it.
--
David Mankins		|``Surrender your heart's conceit that it is you
BBN something or other	|  alone who knows the truth, and no one else.''

ok@quintus.uucp (Richard A. O'Keefe) (08/03/88)

In article <11380@quartz.BBN.COM> dm@bbn.com (Dave Mankins) writes:
>I believe that we err in blaming teachers for the poor performance of
>our children.  Even the most enthusiastic, motivated teachers have an
>uphill battle to interest our children in things that we parents are
>not interested in.

Teachers have children for ~5 hours per week-day.
A couple of days ago I read a book called "Miseducation" (or something
like that, I can produce a better reference if anyone cares) which
quoted a study which reported in their sample that parents spent
~15 minutes per week-day talking to their children, ~30 minutes a day
on week-ends.  That gives the teachers about an 11-to-1 advantage.
[Ok, teachers don't spend all their time talking.  Call it 6-to-1.]

I'm not saying this is good.  Surely few of the people who care enough
about education to read this newsgroup can be that apathetic about their
children.

My point is that schools *claim* to be able to teach the subjects they
are teaching, and that if that study is at all typical, most children
are getting "academic" input *only* from the schools.  If education
really does depend so critically on the parents' involvement, then
(a) it is time that the schools confessed frankly that they can't
    educate children on their own
(b) we have a big problem, because what kind of parents will ignorant
    children make?  What do we do to break the cycle _now_?  Blaming
    today's parents won't change them.

steve@oakhill.UUCP (steve) (08/04/88)

>   Teachers have children for ~5 hours per week-day.
>   A couple of days ago I read a book called "Miseducation" (or something
>   like that, I can produce a better reference if anyone cares) which
>   quoted a study which reported in their sample that parents spent
>   ~15 minutes per week-day talking to their children, ~30 minutes a day
>   on week-ends.  That gives the teachers about an 11-to-1 advantage.
>   [Ok, teachers don't spend all their time talking.  Call it 6-to-1.]
>
>   I'm not saying this is good.  Surely few of the people who care enough
>   about education to read this newsgroup can be that apathetic about their
>   children.
>
>   My point is that schools *claim* to be able to teach the subjects they
>   are teaching, and that if that study is at all typical, most children
>   are getting "academic" input *only* from the schools.  If education
>   really does depend so critically on the parents' involvement, then
>   (a) it is time that the schools confessed frankly that they can't
>       educate children on their own
>   (b) we have a big problem, because what kind of parents will ignorant
>       children make?  What do we do to break the cycle _now_?  Blaming
>       today's parents won't change them.

First if this fact is true - it is sad (not that I'm really surprised).
But to claim that the teachers must take up where the parents fail is
renoucing the responsibilities of parenthood, is just plain shortsightness.
By the way there is still a flaw in your statisics.
The 11-1 advantage disappears when divided over 20 (conservative) children
to 1-2  (with 30 children at 6-1 it goes to  1-5!!).

But to continue - No teacher (or school administrator) will ever tell you
that they can educated a child in a vacuum.  The sad truth is that the
ideals the child carries are largely based on the values the student gets
from his whole environment.  A school system has a child only about
10,000* hours before graduation.  The child is out of school much more (about
150,000** hours).  There is no way to tell the student that what 1 hour of
what we give you is more important than the 15 hours of the outside world
teaches you.  Thus the only way to break this vicious cycle is to convince
the outside world to tell the student that education is important.  Tell
the parents that even if you don't have an education it is important that
your child gets one.  Also the community needs to support education better.
This means more support and better pay for teachers, less tolerence with
just passing, more resources and better equiptment.  Having school boards
and administrators that work to improve education, and not just play politics.
Its also means more than 20% voter turnout for school referendums.  This
stuff takes time and money, but I can't imagine that it won't pay off
in the end.

I'm sorry for raving, but I just want to make this point.   Education will
not improve until the community as a whole supports it.  To blame teachers
for it is wrong.  There are bad teachers, but from my experience more of them
are dedicated to educating our youth than any of the other groups (school
administrators, parents, etc.).  Better yet, let's stop pointing fingers
and start working together to correct the problems, and change the communities
attitude.

			Your mooncalf - Steve

  P.S.  I know a cheated a little on the statisics, but I think I am
	more accurate with mine than you are with yours.

* 5 hours times 180 days of school per year time 12 years = 10800
**24 hours times 365 days a year times 180 years (don't forget leap years (
  plus 96) = 157776

ok@quintus.uucp (Richard A. O'Keefe) (08/04/88)

In article <1412@devsys.oakhill.UUCP> steve@oakhill.UUCP (steve) writes:
>>   Teachers have children for ~5 hours per week-day.
>>   A couple of days ago I read a book called "Miseducation" (
[ "Miseducation", by David Elkind ]) which
>>   quoted a study which reported in their sample that parents spent
>>   ~15 minutes per week-day talking to their children, ~30 minutes a day
>>   on week-ends.  That gives the teachers about a ... 6-to-1 advantage.

>First if this fact is true - it is sad (not that I'm really surprised).
>But to claim that the teachers must take up where the parents fail is
>renoucing the responsibilities of parenthood, is just plain shortsightness.

*** I DID NOT CLAIM THAT!  My claim was that if this figure is correct,
    then teachers _do_ have more influence on children's learning than
    parents.  Nowhere in my posting will you find a claim that this is
    desirable!

>By the way there is still a flaw in your statisics.
>The 11-1 advantage disappears when divided over 20 (conservative) children
>to 1-2  (with 30 children at 6-1 it goes to  1-5!!).

Wrong.  Or can children only listen one at a time in this country?
I was concerned with the ratio
    (time the child is exposed to informative speech in home)
    (time the child is exposed to informative speech in school)
under the impression that this might be a (_very_ crude) measure of the
importance of the two environments for acquiring formal knowledge.
[To other potential misreaders: I do not claim that formal knowledge is
the most important kind.  Nor do I claim that this ratio is much more
than suggestive.]

>But to continue - No teacher (or school administrator) will ever tell you
>that they can educated a child in a vacuum.  The sad truth is that the
		^^^^^^^
>ideals the child carries are largely based on the values the student gets
>from his whole environment.  A school system has a child only about
>10,000* hours before graduation.  The child is out of school much more (about
>150,000** hours).

(steve) includes the time the children are asleep and before they can talk
in this.  He also ignores kindergarten's and nursery schools.  The thing
to be compared is *actual* *information transfer time*.  I would be much
surprised if this amounted to as much as 1:1 (since we're talking about
information transfer rather than acquisition of social skills, most of a
child's conversation with age-mates can be discounted too).

The topic I was considering was not ideals, but facts, such as
arithmetic, reading, and geography, and while teachers don't claim to be
able to teach those or any other subjects in a vacuum, they _do_ claim
to be able to teach them in school.

>Thus the only way to break this vicious cycle is to convince
>the outside world to tell the student that education is important.  Tell
>the parents that even if you don't have an education it is important that
>your child gets one.  Also the community needs to support education better.
>This means more support and better pay for teachers, less tolerence with
>just passing, more resources and better equiptment.  Having school boards
>and administrators that work to improve education, and not just play politics.
>Its also means more than 20% voter turnout for school referendums.  This
>stuff takes time and money, but I can't imagine that it won't pay off
>in the end.

And that whole paragraph assumes that education is something that happens
in SCHOOLS and that the way to improve it is to improve the conditions in
the SCHOOLS.  If the home environment is so important and so bad, why not
improve THAT?  Let me offer an analogy.  Old McDonald's Pie Factory are
worried about the quality of their meat pies.  Someone points out that
the farmers are neglecting their cattle.  So the answer is to build a
bigger and shinier Pie Factory?  That doesn't make sense.

I agree that the community needs to support education better.
But if, as someone recently claimed in this newsgroup, the problem is
that children go home to homes with no books, and pick up the apathy
about reading, and if that means that the methods schools are presently
using to teach reading would work if only it weren't for those terrible
terrible homes, why then, we don't _need_ to improve the schools, but
we do need to have a library on every block, cheap high-quality comics,
prestigious prizes for authors who write books children enjoy reading,
children's drama groups, perhaps even a class of licenced baby-sitters
who have been suitably indoctrinated in the importance of reading aloud
to children, ...  There are LOTS of things to try, that needn't involve
schools at all.  Why, we are constantly being told that there will be
an increasing proportion of eldery and retired people in the community.
Why not recruit "block librarians" from them?  And so on.

What, then, has been/can be/should be done to make "community involvement"
more than a buzz-phrase for "more spending on schools"?

reggie@pdn.UUCP (George W. Leach) (08/04/88)

In article <11380@quartz.BBN.COM> dm@bbn.com (Dave Mankins) writes:
>I believe that we err in blaming teachers for the poor performance of
>our children.  Even the most enthusiastic, motivated teachers have an
>uphill battle to interest our children in things that we parents are
>not interested in.

       I think that most will agree that the people involved with this
newsgroup are probably for the most part the types of parents who care
enough about their children that they don't totally depend upon the
teacher for educating their children.  I certainly never will, if for
no other reason children need to be exposed to a broad range of ideas
and ways of thinking.  Not just the narrow views of the teacher or
parents.

>The answer?  We all know what it is, I hope you'll forgive my
>belaboring the obvious.  Teach your children to respect learning.
>When they come home from school, have them read to you for 15 minutes
>as you do the dishes, prepare dinner, or set the table.  It doesn't
>matter what they read --- have them choose something and read to you.
>Talk about ideas over dinner.  Give them a taste of intellectual life,
>and they won't need teachers to drag them to it.

     Only 15 minutes a day!  I have been reading to my son before he
goes to bed since he was about 2 years old.  He is never satisfied with
less than four or five books (he is 6 now).  He is starting to read a
little on his own and will come to *me* with a book and attempt to read
it to me.  I don't have to encourage him.

      Children are naturally inquisitive about the world around them.
Unfortunately, society as a whole suppresses this rather than encourage
children to pursue their interests.  Parents are by far the most influential
group.  And many just are too ignorant or don't care.  Teachers are ill
equiped to correct this situation.  That is one problem with the public
school system and is a reason why people will pay the extra money to send
their kids to private schools and why some teachers will take less of a
salary to teach in one.  Don't you think a teacher would love to teach a
class where all of the students are motivated?

       The electronic baby sitter is too easy to turn to.  It also seems to
me that there are cartoons on every waking hour of the day (if you have
cable).  Often both parents work and a child spends much of their young
life in a day care center.  The early years are crucial to the development
of a child and will help to set the tone for their interest, of lack of, in
learnging.  That is why the choice of such a service is most important, if
both parents must work.  That is why my wife and I had our son in a program
that required us to stagger our hours and take two cars, even though we
worked in the same building.  We had our son in a center near our home,
which was over an hour away from the office.  It made life hard on us,
but it was well worth it because the quality of the program was so much
better than the more convenient centers near work.

        Most day care centers are simply baby sitting services.  Often,
just like our schools they are overcrowded and children don't get the
individual attention they need so much in their early years.  Right away
we are throwing them into an institution where they are one of many.  How
many day care centers are working with kids and employ people who understand
early childhood education, etc.....?

        In an ideal world every parent would be concerned enough to want to
work with their children at an early age, not only to encourage their natural
curiosity, but also to expose them to the world.  This does not mean trying
to teach them how to read at age two, but to avoid stifling their growth.
Every teacher would be committed to helping children grow as well.  Let us
face it, anyone who has gone to any kind of a school can tell you there are
good and bad teachers.  Some are in it for the wrong reasons and money may
not really help as much as you would think.  How many doctors are in their
profession for the wrong reason?

         I also strongly feel that the methods used in schools to teach are
tired, old and need to be reviewed.  Can you sit still in a desk from 8 AM
until 3PM every day and listen to someone talk or give you busy work?  How
many fantastic facilities exist outside of the classroom to help kids get
interested in learning, such as museums, exhibits, etc......?  Are they
ever utilized?  One school I saw had a unique approach to learning about
history.  Instead of just reading textbooks and memorizing facts, they would
take a period of history and for the entire year study every aspect of it.
For example, if the Pilgrims were being studied, they would look at how they
lived, ate, dressed, etc... and would even take on such activities as
try cooking a meal as they would have or creating tools they used or perhaps
visit some exhibit on some aspect of their lives.  This kind of an approach,
while not applicable to all subjects that are studies, can make education
exciting for kids.  Don't get me wrong.  I'm not saying to throw out reading,
writing and arithmetic.  We can not get away from getting a good grounding
in those areas.  Just try to augment them.

--
George W. Leach					Paradyne Corporation
..!uunet!pdn!reggie				Mail stop LF-207

bulko@cs.utexas.edu (Bill Bulko) (08/04/88)

In article <235@quintus.UUCP> ok@quintus.UUCP (Richard A. O'Keefe) writes:
>In article <1412@devsys.oakhill.UUCP> steve@oakhill.UUCP (steve) writes:
>>By the way there is still a flaw in your statisics.
>>The 11-1 advantage disappears when divided over 20 (conservative) children
>>to 1-2  (with 30 children at 6-1 it goes to  1-5!!).
>
>Wrong.  Or can children only listen one at a time in this country?
>I was concerned with the ratio
>    (time the child is exposed to informative speech in home)
>    ---------------------------------------------------------
>    (time the child is exposed to informative speech in school)
>under the impression that this might be a (_very_ crude) measure of the
>importance of the two environments for acquiring formal knowledge.

I'm more in agreement with Steve.  If being "exposed to informative
speech" is all that it takes for children to learn, then we could sit
them down in front of PBS and they'd all be geniuses by the time they
reach high school.  :-)

     Seriously, though:  sometimes I think students of ANY age can
only listen one at a time!  Unless the student-to-teacher ratio is
relatively small, students tend to drift off mentally, look out the
window, talk or pass notes, doodle, do crossword puzzles, or what have
you.  If the students could motivate themselves to pay attention and
work hard in school (by learning the value of education AT HOME), the
teacher's job would be much easier, as it would be focused on passing
along information.  As it is, teachers have to spend a great deal of
their time entertaining and motivating the students.

     Furthermore, somewhere along the line, someone decided that
teachers are also expected to be actors, comedians, psychologists,
paramedics, social workers, and babysitters.  With all this work
experience, I'm amazed that having "teacher" on your resume doesn't
seem to mean much in our society anymore.

     Parents MUST take more responsibility for the education of their
children.  There is no other way.  They have to stop trying to put
the blame on corrupt school systems, poor teachers, worthless grading
systems, or the economics involved in flunking students.  This does
NOT mean that these problems do not exist:  what I'm saying is that
I think these problems really become less significant when students
go to school to LEARN.

					Bill

	     Artificial Intelligence:  the art of making computers
		      that behave like the ones in movies
Bill Bulko						The University of Texas
bulko@cs.utexas.edu				Department of Computer Sciences

elg@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Eric Green) (08/07/88)

In message <1412@devsys.oakhill.UUCP>, steve@oakhill.UUCP (steve) says:
>I'm sorry for raving, but I just want to make this point.   Education will
>not improve until the community as a whole supports it.  To blame teachers
>for it is wrong.  There are bad teachers, but from my experience more of them
>are dedicated to educating our youth than any of the other groups (school
>administrators, parents, etc.).  Better yet, let's stop pointing fingers
>and start working together to correct the problems, and change the communities
>attitude.

You certainly have a point. In the early days of the U.S., reading was
highly encouraged by both parents and church/community leaders, due to
the Protestant tradition of Bible-reading (in fact, that was a major
cause of the split of many Protestant denominations from the Catholic
Church... the Church said, "The Bible stays in Latin, we don't want
the peasants and slum scum getting their hands on it", and others
disagreed). In any event, the desire for education was much greater in
years past, when success obviously depended upon being well-educated
and good with words. Now, today's models for success are illiterate
jocks and empty-headed fashion-plates... is that progress? To a major
degree, television is responsible for recent attitudes towards
reading. But even before television, education in the U.S. was on a
long downwards trend.
    Perhaps one factor is that universal public education became
universal lowest-common-denominator education, with a curriculum
suited for low-budget operation in an agrarian society (the
prototypical "little red schoolhouse") being made virtually global in
the U.S. In rural areas of the time, children worked long hours on the
farm, and often could spare only 3 or 4 months in the winter for
full-time school studies. So the curriculum had to concentrate on the
basics, how to read, how to add, and the curriculum had to repeat much
material from last year in the next year, because over the long
layover the students had forgotten much of it (not to mention that
they may have missed much of the end of the school year for spring
planting duties). This is why we teach our students how to multiply
two numbers together in the second grade. And in the third grade. And
in the fourth grade. And in the...
    Teacher training may have something to do with it, too, especially
in the field of mathematics. Most elementary school teachers still
believe that mathematics consists of adding long columns of numbers
together*. This was no problem in an agrarian society, where the
ability to do arithmetic was as far as most people got. But this
approach is woefully inadequate for people who will go into advanced
mathematics, or even not-so-advanced mathematics such as algebra and
trigonometry. And compared to "classical" education, where students
recieved instruction in the "classical" languages and higher
mathematics (Calculus in the 7th/8th year...
    Finally, back to the question of teacher pay. Catholic schools
generally have lower pay than the surrounding public schools. Yet
Catholic schools today score much above the national average on
standardized tests. For example, at the Catholic high school I
attended in Shreveport, Louisiana, teacher pay was quite low. Tuition
was reasonable, and there was financial aid available for needy
students. Yet over 90% of the students were college-bound, and most
students scored over the 80th percentile on standardized college
entrance exams. Now, this is an atypical situation, in that the
parents of these students were obviously interested in their children
having an education (although I got the impression that many of the
students were there simply for "status" reasons within the local
Catholic community, not because of interest in education). Perhaps
these students learned all this stuff on their own. But I doubt it.
There were many talented and dedicated teachers there. Said one
teacher(paraphrased), "I could get more pay at a public school. But
here I have students willing to listen, and I don't have to put up
with bureaucracy." No 1-year waits for Civil Service to put out bids
on new textbooks, no filing daily progress reports to 15 levels of
oversight and assessment committees, nothing of the sort... the
principal hired teachers, fired teachers (if they were incompetent),
bought school supplies, etc., no hassle, no bureacracy, as long as
the money was there. That principal would have been fired for gross
insubordination, for bypassing the Civil Service system and violating
tenure laws, if he'd been in public education.

   A note on pay: Higher teacher pay is a common "educational reform"
goal.  Teacher organizations note that there's really no teacher
shortage -- there's lots of teachers, only, many of them are no longer
in the education business, because of low pay, family issues, etc. But
will higher pay really improve education? Or will it just give us
"more of the same"? Paying a teacher $5,000 more per year will not
make him/her any better of a teacher than from before the payraise.
Taxpayers around the country have made it known that they do not
support raising taxes for "more of the same", by voting down tax
proposals left and right when they are not tied to some sort of "merit
pay" plan. Where raising teacher pay may come in handy is for the next
generation, 10 years down the road, where, one hopes, a better quality
of student will enter education programs because of the competitive
pay, resulting in better teachers.
   So while raising teacher salaries will solve local shortages, it is
no magic panacea for immediately improving the quality of education.
To do that, we will have to improve both the teachers, and the
attitudes of our students. In an era of habitual child neglect by
two-parent-worker households, that's going to be a tough row to hoe...

   Eric

*Reference -- "Increasing Teachers' Understanding of Mathematical
Ideas Through Inservice Training", _Phi Delta Kappan_, June 1987

--
Eric Lee Green    ..!{ames,decwrl,mit-eddie,osu-cis}!killer!elg
          Snail Mail P.O. Box 92191 Lafayette, LA 70509