[comp.edu] Concrete Mathematics

cap@vega.fac.cs.cmu.edu (Chris Paris) (11/05/88)

I saw in the CMU bookstore yesterday a book called {\it Concrete
Mathematics\/}, by someone, Donald Knuth, and someone.  When I went
back today to buy it, it was gone!  I would like to have the bookstore
order me a copy, but they can't because there seems to be no proof
that the book exists.  I don't know the first author, and the book
isn't listed in {\it Books in Print\/}.

The preface explained that the book was created as a result of a
course by the same name taught at Stanford.  There must be some
Stanford people out there that can tell me what I need to know (full
authors, publisher maybe, . . .).  Also, I'm curious as to whether the
book is as good as it seemed at first glance.

-----
cap@cs.cmu.edu (Chris Paris)

folta@tove.umd.edu (Wayne Folta) (11/05/88)

Newsgroups: sci.math,comp.edu
Subject: Re: Concrete Mathematics

In article <3484@pt.cs.cmu.edu> cap@cs.cmu.edu (Chris Paris) writes:
>I saw in the CMU bookstore yesterday a book called {\it Concrete
>Mathematics\/}, by someone, Donald Knuth, and someone.  When I went
>back today to buy it, it was gone!  I would like to have the bookstore
>order me a copy, but they can't because there seems to be no proof
>that the book exists.  I don't know the first author, and the book
>isn't listed in {\it Books in Print\/}.
>
>The preface explained that the book was created as a result of a
>course by the same name taught at Stanford.  There must be some
>Stanford people out there that can tell me what I need to know (full
>authors, publisher maybe, . . .).  Also, I'm curious as to whether the
>book is as good as it seemed at first glance.
>
>-----
>cap@cs.cmu.edu (Chris Paris)

The book in question is Concrete Math, by Ronald Graham, Donald Knuth, and
Oren Patashnik.  It is published by Addison-Wesley, and it is the greatest
thing since sliced bread!  It is _required_ reading for all Computer
Science majors.  (And besides, it has already helped me on one of my
midterms.)  I can unreservedly recommend it.  The graffiti is also a
great idea.

Wayne Folta          (folta@tove.umd.edu  128.8.128.42)

Wayne Folta          (folta@tove.umd.edu  128.8.128.42)

pi@buddha.usc.edu (Jen-I Pi) (11/05/88)

In article <3484@pt.cs.cmu.edu> cap@cs.cmu.edu (Chris Paris) writes:
>I saw in the CMU bookstore yesterday a book called {\it Concrete
>Mathematics\/}, by someone, Donald Knuth, and someone.  When I went
>back today to buy it, it was gone!  I would like to have the bookstore
>order me a copy, but they can't because there seems to be no proof
>that the book exists.  I don't know the first author, and the book
>isn't listed in {\it Books in Print\/}.
>	[ lines deleted ]
>-----
>cap@cs.cmu.edu (Chris Paris)

The boook is titled "Concrete Mathematics", by Ronald L. Graham (AT&T),
Donald E. Knuth (Stanford), and Oren Patashnik (Stanford)., Addison-Wesley
Publishing Company, 1989.

The book is based on a course that was taught at Stanford Univ. since 1970.
To use the authors words:

   "What exactly is Concrete Mathematics? It is a blend of CONtinous
    and DisCRETE mathematics. More concretely, it is the controlled
    manipulation of mathematical formulars, using a collection of
    techniques for solving problems ...

    The major topicstreated in this book include sums, recurrences,
    elementary number theory, binomial coefficients, generating
    functions, discrete probability, and asymptotic methods. The
    emphasis is on manipulative technique rather than on existence
    theorems or combinatorial reasoning ... "

I personally find the book very useful and enjoy their "math graffiti"
very much. It is highly recommended for first year graduate in Applied
Mathematics and Computer Science.

Jen-I Pi :-)			     UUCP:     {sdcrdcf,cit-cav}!uscvax!pi
Department of Electrical Engineering CSnet:    pi@usc-cse.csnet
University of Southern California    Bitnet:   pi@uscvaxq
Los Angeles, Ca. 90089-0781	     InterNet: pi%durga.usc.edu@oberon.USC.EDU

mac@uvacs.cs.Virginia.EDU (Alex Colvin) (11/10/88)

> The boook is titled "Concrete Mathematics", by Ronald L. Graham (AT&T),
> Donald E. Knuth (Stanford), and Oren Patashnik (Stanford)., Addison-Wesley
> Publishing Company, 1989.

To order, try the ISBN above