[comp.edu] Foreign Students in Tax Supported Schools

timlee@ernie.Berkeley.EDU (Timothy J. Lee) (12/12/88)

In article <8229@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> bandersnatch@ernie.Berkeley.EDU (ethan miller) writes:
>->       The Uninversity of Calfornia does not discriminate on the
>->basis of race , color, NATIONAL ORIGIN, sex , handicap

>They DO care whether you are currently a legal CA resident.
>Are they discriminating?  NO.

Yes, they are.  But they are discriminating on the basis of California
Residency, not on the basis of Evil Things That You Can't Discriminate On
The Basis Of (such as race, color, sex, national origin, handicap, sexual
orientation, whatever else there is in this list).

That is unless they grant California Residency in a manner that discriminates
on the basis of the aforementioned Evil Things.

conrad@wucs1.wustl.edu (H. Conrad Cunningham) (12/13/88)

Why are American doctoral programs in technical fields dominated by
non-American students?

Possibilities:

(1) The American educational system is lousy and doing an awful job at
preparing our students for such study.

(2) Foreign students are "beating out" American students for the
openings in doctoral programs.

(3) Many good American students don't see the value in pursuing a
doctorate and/or are not willing to make the "necessary" personal and
financial sacrifices.

Comments:

(1) There may be quite a bit of truth to this, but it has already
been argued at length.

(2) I doubt it in most cases.

(3) I think this is the primary reason.

For many foreign students doctoral programs have an enormous
payoff--in terms of personal economic and social status and in terms
of place of residence.  For students from highly competitive
situations or from less developed economies, the doctorate may be the
"ticket" that is necessary to ensure them admission to the "good
life" when they return home.  Or perhaps it is the "ticket" that gives
them admission to a country with a "higher standard of living".

For many American students this is not the case.  In many technical
fields good American students have access to well-paying jobs after
completion of a bachelors' or masters' degree.  The doctorate may be
little advantage in most situations--and in some cases a disadvantage.
Many good students decide that completion of a doctorate is not worth
the "hassle" and the "economic deprivation" that a doctoral program
entails.

Possessing a doctoral degree doesn't necessary confer much social
prestige in American society.  I don't know, but perhaps it does in
other countries.  Our culture has always been quite practical and
populistic--not really valuing "elitist" notions such as "love of
learning" or really trusting "eggheads" too much.  Scientists and
engineers are stereotyped as "nerds."

What can be done to encourage more American students to undertake
doctoral studies?  Try to make it more economically and socially
worthwhile--support graduate students at a level that is more
competitive with entry-level jobs--provide more research funding and
support for education.

Of course, the situation may correct itself somewhat.  The American
economy and educational system may deteriorate to the point that few
foreign students want an American education.  The job market may cool
off, so that doctorates are more important "ticket" to the "good life."

With tongue slightly in cheek,
H. Conrad Cunningham 		|  Title:	Research Assistant
Department of Computer Science	|  Telephone:	(314) 889-5087
Washington University		|  Internet:	conrad@wucs1.wustl.edu
Campus Box 1045, Bryan 509	|---------------------------------------------
One Brookings Drive		| This	space
St. Louis, MO  63123-4899 USA	|		for rent

matloff@bizet.Berkeley.EDU (Norman Matloff) (12/14/88)

In article <613@wucs1.wustl.edu> conrad@wucs1.UUCP (H. Conrad Cunningham) writes:

>Why are American doctoral programs in technical fields dominated by
>non-American students?

>(3) Many good American students don't see the value in pursuing a
>doctorate and/or are not willing to make the "necessary" personal and
>financial sacrifices.

>(3) I think this is the primary reason.

I agree.

[Concerning the motivation of foreign students for American graduate
study, Conrad says:]
>Or perhaps it is the "ticket" that gives
>them admission to a country with a "higher standard of living".

Yes, this is true.  As I said, the foreign students get hired by
American companies who sponsor them for immigration.  The INS will
in most cases not grant this request if the person only has a
Bachelor's degree (especially a foreign one), so graduate study is
indeed this "ticket."

Furthermore, since many universities will not give financial support
to M.S. students, a number of foreign students opt for the Ph.D.
program when all they really want is an M.S.  It is common for such
a student to leave after getting the M.S. (in programs in which one
"automatically" picks up an M.S. after a year or two in the Ph.D.
program).

However, there is certainly the cultural aspect too:

>Possessing a doctoral degree doesn't necessary confer much social
>prestige in American society.  I don't know, but perhaps it does in
>other countries.

Yes it does, particularly in Asia, where most of the foreign students
come from.

I might note that even a disproportionate number of DOMESTIC students
in doctoral programs are relatively "new" Americans, e.g. children or
grandchildren of immigrants, and thus retain part of the respect that
other cultures give to a Ph.D.

    Norm