[comp.edu] Posting grades in public

jack@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Jack Campin) (12/16/88)

[ discussion triggered by the case of an MIT psychology professor posting
  grades on his door.  "sci.math" and "sci.physics" removed from the
  Newsgroups: line as they aren't really appropriate for this. ]

Isn't this simply a cultural difference?  I was educated in New Zealand, where
all grades were displayed on public noticeboards without complaint.  The same
practice is used here.  Yes, you sometimes see people in an awful emotional
state when they see their result, but surely it's better they have friends and
classmates around then for support than simply opening an envelope alone at
home?

Is this related to the similar weird paranoia Americans have about telling
each other what they earn?  (My salary is 13,500 pounds or thereabouts).

--
ARPA: jack%cs.glasgow.ac.uk@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk          USENET: jack@glasgow.uucp
JANET:jack@uk.ac.glasgow.cs      useBANGnet: ...mcvax!ukc!cs.glasgow.ac.uk!jack