[comp.edu] Discrimination against American students???

evren@wuibc.UUCP (Evren Senol) (12/14/88)

In article <2521@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU> kathyp@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Kathy Pividal) writes:
> The quotas are not to protect the American students but the American Tax
>payers. Many of the foreign students (graduate) are not only benefitting
>from the American educational system but are being supported (tuition
>and stipend) by American federal agencies (NSF, DoD, DoE, NIH, etc.).
>Because of the new tax law, I (an American Graduate student) have to pay
>the US goverment taxes on my stipend, however the foreign students on
>student visas pay no taxes to the US government even though their source
>and amount of funding is identical to mine. Explain why this is not financial
>discrimination against American students.

I have been following the conversation going on about the foreign students.
First of all I would like to mention that I am one of those foreign students
who was (and still is) lucky enough to get educated in an American
university for the last six and a half years.  I know that the issue of
foreign students and specially foreign engineering students is a complex one
with many sides to it.  However, I would like to share some of my thoughts
on this with you.  (This will actually make me think about the situation
once again!!!)

1. Kathy Pividal is DEAD WRONG when she says that foreign students do not
   have to pay taxes.  On the contrary, there is a discrimination against
   foreign students in that they are not allowed even to take the $2500.00
   (the amount may be somewhat off) exemption that Americans are entitiled
   to on their 1040 forms.  They can only claim $1200.00 (again the amount
   may be off a bit) personal exemption.  So, as I foreign student I
   actually paid more in taxes than a single American student would have.

   However, there is one special situation that applies not only to students
   alone but to other foreigners as well no matter what their reasons to
   be in the U.S. are.  That is, there are *Tax Treaties* that are signed
   between the U.S. government and other governments involved that allow
   individuals from those countries that have a treaty with the U.S. to be
   exempt from paying taxes.  The amount of exemption varies from something
   like $1000.00 to total income.  I think students from China can claim
   all of their income exempt.  Remember though that the American citizens
   who work in these countries also get tax breaks.

2. At this moment, as I am typing this response, I do not have the
   statistics with me but I think I can find them if necessary.  The
   statistics I am talking about show that, contrary to popular belief,
   there are a LARGE number of foreign students, both undergraduate or
   graduate, who actually PAY their way.  The U.S. universities actually
   make money off of these foreign students.  I am not saying that the
   universities should not do that, all I am saying is that there doesn't
   exist a situation whereby the U.S. universities are losing money over
   foreign students.

3. The U.S. has a LOT more to gain from these foreign students than to lose.
   As mentioned in the previous discussions a way for a foreign student to
   gain permanent residency (get a Green Card) is to pursue a doctorate degree
   in order to qualify for a job that few other Americans are qualified for.
   So, if a foreign student is so qualified as to get permanent residency,
   then he or she will be part of the American work force and thus
   actually help the U.S. to develop.  And at the point that he or she
   obtains permanent residency the label of *foreigner* will not be an
   issue.  On the other hand, if that person leaves the U.S. after getting
   all the education he or she can, after getting used to the *American
   way of living*, getting all the American ideals and thoughts, there is
   a much much greater probability that whereever the person goes, he or she
   will be a strong proponent of American ideas.  This will effectively
   make them many ambassodors of the U.S all around the world.  If you add
   to this the fact that most of those people get high level government
   or private jobs when they return to their home countries, I think the
   benefit to the U.S. is obvious.

4. As mentioned before, about half of the doctorate students in the U.S
   are foreign nationals.  If you, the Americans, think that there is
   something wrong with this, please look no further.  MOST of the fault
   lies in the American society.  Other than not getting much recognition
   for getting a doctorate degree, the FINANCIAL opportunities at Master's
   or even at Bachelors degree level is SO high that any person would
   easily be deceived to forget about higher education and start making
   money.  It takes a LOT of courage to forget about $30,000.00 a year,
   work for about $10,000.00 a year on an assistantship of some sorts (if
   you are luck) and pay in the order of $10,000.00 a year in tuition.

5. The Congress and the President of the U.S. were out of their minds
   when they passed the new tax bill requiring graduate students
   (American or foreign) to pay taxes not only on their stipends but
   also on the TUITION remission they receive.  (As an example, I would
   be required to pay taxes on tuition remission I receive for up to
   $2000.00 a year!!!)  As if the graduate student salaries were enough to
   live on, now we will all get MUCH less to survive on.  This is all the
   more reason for Americans not to go to graduate school, and I CANNOT
   blame them.

6. I am sure there are other points that I have not mentioned, but this
   article is long enough for the time being....

Evren Senol

evren@wuibc.wustl.edu

I know that you believe that you understand what you think I said, BUT
I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

reggie@pdn.UUCP (George W. Leach) (12/15/88)

In article <349@wuibc.UUCP> evren@wuibc.UUCP (Evren Senol) writes:
>   The U.S. has a LOT more to gain from these foreign students than to lose.

     I agree!  If nothing else US universities benefited financially.  During
times when the number of American students graduating from high school declined,
universities were able to make up for the reduced enrollments with foreign
students.  Remember there was a time period where a drop off in the birth
rate (after the baby boom) eventually caused this situation.  I'm not sure
if we are still in that situation or not?

     It has been my experience, as a student, teacher and professional
that the foreign students, for the most part, are a positive influence.
Sure there are exceptions, but my feeling is that the average foreigh
student is more likely to be prepared to work towards their eventual
goals than their American counterparts.  And I agree with Mr. Senol that
in order to understand the reason for this, we should not be looking at
the foreign students, but at the American students!

>   If you, the Americans, think that there is something wrong with this
>   [refering to the proportion of doctoral students who are foreigners],
>   please look no further.  MOST of the fault lies in the American society.

     How many freshman coming into a university have even considered
anything beyond a bachelor degree?  I would guess that not many have.
Most are lucky if by that time in their life they have figured out
waht they want to do.  High schools do not do an adequate job of
educating our youth on the possibilities in careers.  And most parents
don't exactly devote much time to this either.  Sure we ask our kids
when they are little: "what do you want to be when you grow up"?  But
as they approach the end of their high school days, how much are they
aware of what opportunities there are in this world?  Ideally, a high
school student could become exposed to a wide variety of fields and
careers, be able to choose one that interestes them, and then have
the ability to select the best university programs to aid in reaching
that goal.  Unfortunately, it is my impression that this rarely happens.

     I know in my case that I was fortunate that in 1974 my high school
installed an old Teletype with a paper tape punch and offered a course
in BASIC.  This experience steered me towards Computer Science.  However,
I never thought of graduate school until I was in industry and working
for a few years.  And even when I did enroll in a graduate program, I
did so for the wrong reasons.  Eventually, my attitudes towards education
changed.

--
George W. Leach					Paradyne Corporation
..!uunet!pdn!reggie				Mail stop LG-129

evren@wuibc.UUCP (Evren Senol) (12/18/88)

One more point about foreign students that I would like to raise.

People have been talking about the *tax* money spent on foreign students
while they attend American universities.  Well, there is one more side to
that, which is the *tax* money spent on these students by their countries
over 12 to 18 years (grade school to college graduate with MS).  After
other countries spend that much money to educate their citizens, the U.S.
gets the BEST QUALIFIED ones for graduate studies.  Most likely, if the U.S.
were to educate American to the same degree, a lot more money would need to
be spent since a great percentage of the students would just be *average*
ones as opposed to the *more qualified* foreign ones.  So, the U.S. is
actually saving tax money by not having to educate a large number of
Americans and choose the best ones for graduate studies.

The ease of being able to pick the best qualified foreign students from all
over the world may be contributing to the lack of interest or concrete
action by the U.S. to better its education from grade school onward.

matloff@bizet.Berkeley.EDU (Norman Matloff) (12/21/88)

In article <350@wuibc.UUCP> evren@wuibc.UUCP (Evren Senol) writes:

>The ease of being able to pick the best qualified foreign students from all
>over the world may be contributing to the lack of interest or concrete
>action by the U.S. to better its education from grade school onward.

It's not nearly so simple as this.

In my activities as Graduate Adviser in CS here at UC Davis, I
expend 100 times more effort per student on foreign students than
on domestic students.  Many of the problems are financial.  Students
from China and India typically have no personal funds at all to draw
upon, and there's still a money problem with students from other
countries, in the sense that I have to come up with good financial
support in order to compete in a "bidding war" with other schools
for the best students.  And of course these problems are compounded
by the fact that foreign students pay much more tuition than domestic
students at UC.  Also, foreign students often have visa problems to deal
with.  Also, there is the problem of making sure that the foreign students
who are TA's do a good job, both in absolute terms and also in perceived
terms (many Americans are not very tolerant of foreign accents, even if
the person's meaning is clear).  Sometimes cultural conflicts, e.g.
sexism, cheating, etc. occur (of course, these occur with Americans too,
but they are often perceived as being more conspicuous if a foreign
student is involved, and the frequency **does** tend to be higher),
and I am called upon to smooth things out.  And, of course, there
is the fact that our Graduate Division will give me a worried call
if I admit more foreign students than the quota they've set, and
I am constantly having to fight with them every time they make a
new policy regarding foreign students.

So your use of the word "ease" is totally misleading.  It's nice that
we get all the best foreign students from each country to apply, and
thus we can "pick and choose" as you say (our CS grad admissions rate
is under 3%), but each one of those students represents a tremendous
amount of work, both at admissions time and later after enrollment  --
FAR from being "ease".

So why DOESN'T the U.S. do something?  I think the simple truth is that
they (I assume you mean government) JUST DON'T KNOW ABOUT IT.  Oh, sure,
once in a while, there is a newspaper story about the Japanese kids'
test scores are higher than ours, or the fact that a majority of
doctorates in engineering go to foreign students, but unless you
really OBSERVE it, you aren't really aware of it.  Most of us who
read this newsgroup are in either technical academia or in the
computer/electronics industry, so we see this phenomenon every day.
But the people in the government don't.

    Norm