[comp.edu] British system

jeff@aipna.ed.ac.uk (Jeff Dalton) (12/25/88)

In article <18107@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> c60a-2di@e260-4b.berkeley.edu (The Cybermat Rider) writes:
>In Singapore, [...]  (It has been said that engineering students had better
>aim for AT LEAST A MASTER'S DEGREE in order to be assured of a good job

I wonder if this is true in the UK.  I seem to know a lot of people
who don't think there's much point in getting a master's or PhD except
to satisfy some personal interest in the subject.

>But it's not true in the British system.  Demonstrated proofs are used as
>EXAMPLES of general problem-solving techniques, and a student can be at
>least 95% sure that the problems presented will NOT appear in the exams in
>any immediately recognizable form.

In my experience, that is not quite true.  In the US (where I was
educated), I could be pretty sure that demonstrated proofs would
not appear as exam questions; and here I have seen exam questions
that were based very strongly on assigned exercises.  I have also
seen UK students asking what things would be on the exam, etc.

>We do it on a larger scale - students are provided at the outset with a
>DETAILED SYLLABUS (common to all institutions within the British
>Commonwealth), so we are able to do a LOT of self-study, the better ones
>even MOVING BEYOND the guidelines provided.

Is this true at University level?  I have not seen anything like it.

I'm not trying to attack the "British system", which does have advantages
over what happens in the US, just to question some generalizations that
seem, to me, somewhat inaccurate.

c60a-2di@e260-2d.berkeley.edu (The Cybermat Rider) (12/29/88)

In article <424@aipna.ed.ac.uk> jeff@uk.ac.ed.aipna.UUCP (Jeff Dalton) writes:
>In article <18107@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> c60a-2di@e260-4b.berkeley.edu (The Cybermat Rider) writes:
>>In Singapore, [...]  (It has been said that engineering students had better
>>aim for AT LEAST A MASTER'S DEGREE in order to be assured of a good job
>
>I wonder if this is true in the UK.  I seem to know a lot of people
>who don't think there's much point in getting a master's or PhD except
>to satisfy some personal interest in the subject.

Perhaps, but in Singapore, the job market is VERY COMPETITIVE, and (alas)
paper qualifications are commonly used as a major criteria in selecting job
applicants.

>>But it's not true in the British system.  Demonstrated proofs are used as
>>EXAMPLES of general problem-solving techniques, and a student can be at
>>least 95% sure that the problems presented will NOT appear in the exams in
>>any immediately recognizable form.
>
>In my experience, that is not quite true.  In the US (where I was
>educated), I could be pretty sure that demonstrated proofs would
>not appear as exam questions; and here I have seen exam questions
>that were based very strongly on assigned exercises.  I have also
>seen UK students asking what things would be on the exam, etc.

As do some Singapore students, but the answer they get from their teachers
is usually "EVERYTHING", which is just about as good an answer for their
purposes as none at all.

>>We do it on a larger scale - students are provided at the outset with a
>>DETAILED SYLLABUS (common to all institutions within the British
>>Commonwealth), so we are able to do a LOT of self-study, the better ones
>>even MOVING BEYOND the guidelines provided.
>
>Is this true at University level?  I have not seen anything like it.

Whoops!  I should have been more specific - only in secondary school and
junior colleges (roughly corresponding to 7th-12th grades).  Universities
under both systems seem to be remarkably similar (although I might be wrong
on this point).

>I'm not trying to attack the "British system", which does have advantages
>over what happens in the US, just to question some generalizations that
>seem, to me, somewhat inaccurate.

And well you should, for they are too general and thus rather inaccurate.  I
should have mentioned that the British educational system (as outlined in my
Commonwealth countries.

Of course, there are some disadvantages of the British system with respect
to the American one (can't think of specific examples though - haven't been
sleeping well - but they *must* exist, else we wouldn't keep coming).  I
guess it's the responsibility of the individual educational institutions
around the world to assess the deficiencies of their respective systems and
modify according to their circumstances.

As an aside, I was half afraid that my previous posting might trigger off a
barrage of verbal violence, not unlike what happened recently in
sci.space.shuttle - thankfully, this has not been the case.  However, I
personally feel that the time has come to move this discussion out of
sci.physics to a more suitable group.  Wish I could find one though - not
many *.edu groups around, and all of them seem to deal with computer
education.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Adrian Ho a.k.a. The Cybermat Rider	  University of California, Berkeley
c60a-2di@web.berkeley.edu
Disclaimer:  Nobody takes me seriously, so is it really necessary?