[comp.edu] Posting grades

thisted@galton.uchicago.edu (Ronald A. Thisted) (12/13/88)

In article <15406@joyce.istc.sri.com> gds@spam.istc.sri.com (Greg Skinner) writes:
>Another cute thing he did that pissed the hell out of a friend of
>mine was to post everyone's name, id #, and final grade on his door.
>My friend was embarrassed because he didn't get a high grade.  I, on
>the other hand, thought it was unethical.

It may not be unethical, but it is both unprofessional and *illegal*.
The Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 prohibits
disclosure of such information as grades without the written consent of
the student (with a few exceptions which do not apply to posting or
publishing grades).

Ron Thisted
Department of Statistics/The University of Chicago
thisted@galton.uchicago.edu

ok@quintus.uucp (Richard A. O'Keefe) (12/13/88)

In article <1140@tank.uchicago.edu> thisted@galton.UUCP (Ronald A. Thisted) writes:
>It may not be unethical, but it is both unprofessional and *illegal*.
>The Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 prohibits
>disclosure of such information as grades without the written consent of
>the student (with a few exceptions which do not apply to posting or
>publishing grades).

I'm curious about this.  I come from NZ, and as I recall it, quite a lot
of the classes I attended had marks published.  We were told from
primary school onwards that all our marks would be available to an
employer.  (I don't know if it's true, but that's what the teachers told
us about our "brown cards".  I don't know what the current state of
affairs is.)  The results of the scholarship exams at the end of high
school were published in the national newspapers.  I never met anyone
who said they disliked this practice.  Your _final_ grade is surely a
matter of public record:  you either have your M.Phil.  or whatever or
you haven't, so why should any other mark be different?  What's the reason
for making it illegal to disclose class marks?

johnm@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (John Murray) (12/14/88)

In article <852@quintus.UUCP>, ok@quintus.uucp (Richard A. O'Keefe) writes:
>                          I come from NZ, and as I recall it, quite a lot
> of the classes I attended had marks published.  We were told from
> primary school onwards that all our marks would be available to an
> employer.      . . .
>               The results of the scholarship exams at the end of high
> school were published in the national newspapers.  I never met anyone
> who said they disliked this practice.  Your _final_ grade is surely a
> matter of public record:  you either have your M.Phil.  or whatever or
> you haven't, so why should any other mark be different?  What's the reason
> for making it illegal to disclose class marks?

In Ireland and Britain, the system is similar to New Zealand. People in
the U.S. seem quite preoccupied with this type of privacy. No-one ever
compares salaries, for example. On the other hand, auto licenses, credit
data, etc. appear to be fairly freely available, at least to those who
can afford it. As a non-American, I'm much more concerned about strangers
knowing my phone number than I am about their knowing my German grades.

- John Murray (My own opinions, etc.)

dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) (12/14/88)

To answer the burning question of why grades are not posted publicly in
the USA:

Privacy is a red herring.

Educators don't want students comparing each others' grades too freely,
lest they (the students) discover how inconsistent grading often is.

And in business, salaries are confidential for the same reason.

But people have been brainwashed into believing that they should be
ashamed of their grades, or of their salaries.

Divide and conquer -- and it works!
--
Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!dhesi

bjornl@nada.kth.se (Bj|rn Lisper) (12/16/88)

In article <852@quintus.UUCP> ok@quintus.UUCP (Richard A. O'Keefe) writes:
>In article <1140@tank.uchicago.edu> thisted@galton.UUCP (Ronald A. Thisted)
>writes:
>>It may not be unethical, but it is both unprofessional and *illegal*.
>>The Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 prohibits
>>disclosure of such information as grades without the written consent of
>>the student (with a few exceptions which do not apply to posting or
>>publishing grades).
>
>I'm curious about this.  I come from NZ, and as I recall it, quite a lot
>of the classes I attended had marks published.....The results of the
>scholarship exams at the end of high school were published in the national
>newspapers. ....

I also find it strange. I'm from Sweden, where most schools are public. Here
I think examination results are available to anyone who asks, due to the
so-called principle of publicity. This is a law that applies to most
information stored by public services and requires them to disclose this
information to anyone who requests. (Natural exemptions are military
information and medical records.) Thus, our legislation is exactly the
opposite of the American!

This does not imply, however, that examination results in Sweden are always
posted with grades and name. Sometimes they are, sometimes they ain't. But if
anyone asks about any result I think the school is obliged to disclose it.

Bjorn Lisper

dant@mrloog.LA.TEK.COM (Dan Tilque;1893;92-101;) (12/19/88)

Rahul Dhesi writes:

>Educators don't want students comparing each others' grades too freely,
>lest they (the students) discover how inconsistent grading often is.

I don't think so.  Grades are not publicly availiable just in case the
student is planning on running for Vice-President someday.  (For
foreigners who don't understand the allusion: in our recent election,
there was a little tempest-in-a-teapot (i.e. media invented controversy)
about the unwillingness of the current VP-elect to release his law school
grades.)

>And in business, salaries are confidential for the same reason.

Now, here, you are right.

---
Dan Tilque	--	dant@twaddl.LA.TEK.COM

	 If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.

skyler@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Patricia Roberts) (12/19/88)

In article <4302@teklds.CAE.TEK.COM> dant@mrloog.LA.TEK.COM (Dan Tilque) writes:
>Rahul Dhesi writes:
>>Educators don't want students comparing each others' grades too freely,
>>lest they (the students) discover how inconsistent grading often is.
>
>I don't think so.  Grades are not publicly availiable just in case the
>student is planning on running for Vice-President someday.

Actually, it is ILLEGAL for an instructor to release a student's grades
(except under certain specific circumstances.)

This is good for the student, in that Mom and Dad can only see the student's
grades if the student lets them (or if they open mail--as my folks did.)  It
also means that other instructors can't pre-judge a student ("ahh, since
she got a B in such and such a class, she must be stupid...")  Basically,
the student gets to choose how private her grades will be.

It didn't seem like a big issue to me until last week when I saw that
someone had posted grades by name.  I suddenly realized how furious I would
be if that had happened to me, regardless of what grade I received.  There's
a lot of pressure here not to do too well in school nor too badly.  Posting
grades would just increase that pressure.

Where I taught as a grad student, grades were posted by registration
number.  Here, we were told that posting grades even by that method was
probably illegal.  That seems silly to me.  Even given the incredible
disparity between sections (of student ability) it helps students pick
sections to look at an instructor's previous grades.   (Not that an instructor
with a lot of A's is an easy grader, necessarily, but at least a student can
figure out of the instructor grades on a curve.)  And, personally, if a
student wants an easy-A prof, I'd far prefer they take someone else's
section.

--
-Trish 		 	"...Turning off onto a dirt road
(919)230-0809		from the raw cuts bulldozed through a quiet village

dkeisen@Gang-of-Four.Stanford.EDU (Dave Eisen) (12/20/88)

In article <6125@ecsvax.uncecs.edu> skyler@ecsvax.UUCP (Patricia Roberts) writes:

>Where I taught as a grad student, grades were posted by registration
>number.  Here, we were told that posting grades even by that method was
>probably illegal.  That seems silly to me.  Even given the incredible

I remember back to Junior Lab where grades were posted by registration
number, but they were posted in alphabetical order. Didn't make a
whole lot of sense.

The way I'll be handling it from now on is that I will require my
students to get computer accounts to handle communication between me
and them (both collective things like changes in a problem set and
individual things like setting up appointments) and I will email each
student her/his grade at the end of the term.

Dave Eisen                                  dkeisen@Gang-of-Four.Stanford.EDU
                                            439 Del Medio Ave., #39
I can never remember the formulas.          Mountain View, CA 94040
I have to rederive things every time.       (415) 941-6810

fritz@mit-caf.MIT.EDU (Frederick Herrmann) (12/20/88)

In article <5734@polya.Stanford.EDU> dkeisen@Gang-of-Four.Stanford.EDU (Dave Eisen) writes:

>The way I'll be handling it from now on is that I will require my
>students to get computer accounts to handle communication between me
>and them (both collective things like changes in a problem set and
>individual things like setting up appointments) and I will email each
>student her/his grade at the end of the term.

Let's not forget the low-tech solution:

I've sometimes turned in a self-addressed stamped envelope with my
final exam or paper.  This works better than email at the end of the
term when many students are going home, where they may not be able to
read their email.

fritz@caf.mit.edu
Frederick P. Herrmann

nevin1@ihlpb.ATT.COM (Liber) (12/22/88)

In article <5734@polya.Stanford.EDU> dkeisen@Gang-of-Four.Stanford.EDU (Dave Eisen) writes:

>The way I'll be handling it from now on is that I will require my
>students to get computer accounts to handle communication between me
>and them (both collective things like changes in a problem set and
>individual things like setting up appointments) and I will email each
>student her/his grade at the end of the term.

This still may not be legal.  Since sysadmins also have access to these
accounts, and many of them at universities are students, you may still
be violating the privacy act.

One method that works for posting grades is to let each student pick a
secret name/word at the beginning of the year, and post their grades
with the word they picked.  I can't see any problems with it (other
than pick bad names, but that is the student's fault, not the
professor's).
--
NEVIN ":-)" LIBER  AT&T Bell Laboratories  nevin1@ihlpb.ATT.COM  (312) 979-4751

cd@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Clarence K. Din) (12/23/88)

In article <9248@ihlpb.ATT.COM> nevin1@ihlpb.UUCP (55528-Liber,N.J.) writes:
>In article <5734@polya.Stanford.EDU> dkeisen@Gang-of-Four.Stanford.EDU (Dave Eisen) writes:
>
>One method that works for posting grades is to let each student pick a
>secret name/word at the beginning of the year, and post their grades
>with the word they picked.  I can't see any problems with it (other
>than pick bad names, but that is the student's fault, not the
>professor's).

Suppose John tells Jeff, "I got a 98 on the final exam... the highest grade
in the class," and Jeff replies, "Oh, so you're 'tootsie'." :^)

cd

scoop@aplvax.jhuapl.edu (Steve Cooper) (12/23/88)

In article <9248@ihlpb.ATT.COM> nevin1@ihlpb.UUCP (55528-Liber,N.J.) writes:
>In article <5734@polya.Stanford.EDU> dkeisen@Gang-of-Four.Stanford.EDU (Dave Eisen) writes:
>
>>The way I'll be handling it from now on is that I will require my
>>students to get computer accounts to handle communication between me
>>and them...
>
>This still may not be legal....

>One method that works for posting grades is to let each student pick a
>secret name/word at the beginning of the year, and post their grades
>with the word they picked.

What's wrong with the method of posting grades with the students'
Social Security Numbers beside the grade?  SSN's are rather unique
(would hope so!) and they are not known to anyone but the individual -
unless he/she has shared it with others.  Anyone who has access to the
student's SSN by other methods (forms, etc), is bound by privacy in
those situations not to disclose this info. So I would assume this also
precludes them from checking out students' grades based on info they
received in such a manner.  Did I miss a discussion on SSN's before?

			Steve Cooper
			scoop@aplvax.jhuapl.edu.UUCP

jjc@cisunx.UUCP (Jeffrey James Bryan Carpenter) (12/24/88)

In article <9248@ihlpb.ATT.COM> nevin1@ihlpb.UUCP (55528-Liber,N.J.) writes:
>In article <5734@polya.Stanford.EDU> dkeisen@Gang-of-Four.Stanford.EDU (Dave Eisen) writes:
 >>individual things like setting up appointments) and I will email each
 >>student her/his grade at the end of the term.
 >
 >This still may not be legal.  Since sysadmins also have access to these
 >accounts, and many of them at universities are students, you may still
 >be violating the privacy act.

That same system administrator could probably also see the report
cards printing out on the line printer.  I doubt email would violate
the privacy act.

	jeff
--
Jeffrey J. B. Carpenter, University of Pittsburgh, Computer Center
USMAIL: 600 Epsilon Drive, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15238

gal@atux01.UUCP (G. Levine) (12/27/88)

One thing we seem to be missing in this whole discussion is
the disparity of the instructors' grading systems.  I took a course
in Math Education when I was in college (Ohio University), and
the first day the instructor gave out a student's completed math
test.  Some problems were right, some wrong, but the test was not
marked as to how much each problem was worth.  The instructor said
to assign our own values and grade this test.  The test grades varied
from the mid-30s to the mid-80s on the EXACT SAME TEST.  It really
drove home to me how little grades can really mean.

					gary

Its better to give than to receive--besides, its deductible.

nevin1@ihlpb.ATT.COM (Liber) (12/28/88)

In article <26862@bu-cs.BU.EDU> cd@bu-cs.bu.edu (Clarence K. Din) writes:
|In article <9248@ihlpb.ATT.COM> nevin1@ihlpb.UUCP (55528-Liber,N.J.) writes:

|>One method that works for posting grades is to let each student pick a
|>secret name/word at the beginning of the year, and post their grades
|>with the word they picked.  I can't see any problems with it (other
|>than pick bad names, but that is the student's fault, not the
|>professor's).

|Suppose John tells Jeff, "I got a 98 on the final exam... the highest grade
|in the class," and Jeff replies, "Oh, so you're 'tootsie'." :^)

This is the fault of the student, not the teacher.  There is nothing stopping
you from disclosing information about yourself.
--

In article <2786@aplcomm.jhuapl.edu> scoop@aplvax.jhuapl.edu.UUCP (Steve Cooper) writes:

>What's wrong with the method of posting grades with the students'
>Social Security Numbers beside the grade?

>SSN's are rather unique (would hope so!)

Common fallacy.  They are *not* unique; look at the comp.risks archives
for the problems this has caused in the past.

>and they are not known to anyone but the individual -
>unless he/she has shared it with others.  Anyone who has access to the
>student's SSN by other methods (forms, etc), is bound by privacy in
>those situations not to disclose this info.

Considering that most schools use your SSN as your school id number,
your SSN is probably printed on your id (heck, it is even on my driver's
license).  Irregardless of the law, your SSN is effectively knowledge
known to the public.
--

In article <14636@cisunx.UUCP> jjc@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu (Jeffrey James Bryan Carpenter) writes:
|In article <9248@ihlpb.ATT.COM> nevin1@ihlpb.UUCP (55528-Liber,N.J.) writes:
| >This still may not be legal.  Since sysadmins also have access to these
| >accounts, and many of them at universities are students, you may still
| >be violating the privacy act.

|That same system administrator could probably also see the report
|cards printing out on the line printer.

I *hope* the sysadmin for your grade reporting machine is *not* a
student at that university.  If it is, you have many more security
problems than need be discussed here.

|I doubt email would violate the privacy act.

The privacy act doesn't stop the information from being disclosed.  Who
is prepared to sue over disclosure of grades?
--
NEVIN ":-)" LIBER  AT&T Bell Laboratories  nevin1@ihlpb.ATT.COM  (312) 979-4751

cik@l.cc.purdue.edu (Herman Rubin) (12/29/88)

In article <864@atux01.UUCP>, gal@atux01.UUCP (G. Levine) writes:
> One thing we seem to be missing in this whole discussion is
> the disparity of the instructors' grading systems.  I took a course
> in Math Education when I was in college (Ohio University), and
> the first day the instructor gave out a student's completed math
> test.  Some problems were right, some wrong, but the test was not
> marked as to how much each problem was worth.  The instructor said
> to assign our own values and grade this test.  The test grades varied
> from the mid-30s to the mid-80s on the EXACT SAME TEST.  It really
> drove home to me how little grades can really mean.

I agree grades are not very meaningful, but that is a poor argument.  Even if
the values of the problems were given, there would still be disparate grading.
What is being graded? Different people grade for different things, and usually
the unimportant stuff gets the most emphasis.  Multiple choice grading is one
of the unfortunate educational "improvements" whose results are catastrophic.

I look for understanding what is to be done, and I will frequently give full
credit for the last part of a problem if it is done correctly using the
erroneous results of the first part; that is the hardest situation for giving
partial credit.  I always tell the students to put down all their work, and
sometimes I even do not give credit for the right answer if obtained by the
wrong method.

This is what is needed in the evaluation of mathematics; not the memorization
of techniques, the plugging into formulas, and other imitations of a computer.
The imporatant parts cannot be graded objectively.
Phone: (317)494-6054
hrubin@l.cc.purdue.edu (Internet, bitnet, UUCP)

sukenick@ccnysci.UUCP (SYG) (12/29/88)

>I look for understanding what is to be done, and I will frequently give full
>credit for the last part of a problem if it is done correctly using the
>erroneous results of the first part; that is the hardest situation for giving
>partial credit.  I always tell the students to put down all their work, and
>sometimes I even do not give credit for the right answer if obtained by the
>wrong method.

right! (at least, I agree! :-))

In the chemistry exams that I make up, whenever possible, I do not
allow calculators and tell the students that I do not want the
numerical answer - I want them to show all work and set up the final
form of problem.  Hopefully, on the college level, the students should
know how to add, subtract, multiply,  divide even if it is with the aid
of a calculator (wishful thinking ? :-) ).  The material being learned
is how to solve the problem, not elementary math.  This method
of giving exams has many advantages including eliminating some
possibilities of cheating (eg: by storing material in programmable
calculators, stickers ON the calculator back (I kid you not!) and the
problems with passing around of calculators), not penalizing students
without calculators, goofs in calculations, and perhaps some added time
that would have otherwise been spent doing the calculations (well, the
students probably would not agree with this point :-)).