[comp.edu] Studies done with "bright" or "dumb" students

vfm6066@dsacg3.UUCP (John A. Ebersold) (12/30/88)

Does anyone out there have any insight into the following:

A teacher is given a group of students to teach.  The teacher has no prior
knowledge of the students other than the fact that the teacher has been told
they are bright, i.e, smart and well motivated or "dull", i.e.,
dim-witted and sloths.

The teacher then treats the students accordingly.

Have any studies been done where supposedly "dumb" students are given to a
teacher for the first time.  The teacher is told they are bright and treats
them accordingly - expects alot, respects the students, etc.  Or the converse.

It is my opinion that, if teachers treat students with respect and expect (not
demand) that they will do well, treat the kids intelligently, etc, that the
kids will respond.  Note: I think this will have its most profound effect in
grade school.

What do you all think?

--
John A. Ebersold, Unify Corporation @   Defense System Automation Center - FM
lll-tis\        			Columbus, Ohio

shankar@src.honeywell.COM (Son of Knuth) (12/31/88)

In article <1276@dsacg3.UUCP> vfm6066@dsacg3.UUCP (John A. Ebersold) writes:
>A teacher is given a group of students to teach.  The teacher has no prior
>knowledge of the students other than the fact that the teacher has been told
>they are bright, i.e, smart and well motivated or "dull", i.e.,
>dim-witted and sloths.
>
>The teacher then treats the students accordingly.

I couldn't agree more with this philosophy of teaching.
Performance in class is related more to hard work and interest in learning
then to any inherent inclivity to genius.

If they were to get rid of "weed-out" classes, and undergrads would
be treated more like people rather then students every professor is
stuck with one class a quarter/semester, I think that professors will be
in for a suprise.  Getting rid of weed out classes also has the added
benefit of eliminating the meaningless grading criterion that I've
typically seen in these classes (i.e. who can memorize the largest
number of theorems and regurgitate them fastest).

m87_jan_c@tdb.uu.se (Jan Carlsson) (01/05/89)

In article <1276@dsacg3.UUCP>, vfm6066@dsacg3.UUCP (John A. Ebersold) writes:

>It is my opinion that, if teachers treat students with respect and expect (not
>demand) that they will do well, treat the kids intelligently, etc, that the
>kids will respond.  Note: I think this will have its most profound effect in
>grade school.
>
>What do you all think?

 I agree, here in Sweden teachers in nursery scholl is forbidden to
 pass on any information about the kids to the grade school.
 It is the parents who decide whether information should be given to
 the grade schooll teacher or not.

 If the teacher don't respect the students or if the teaching is bad in
 some other way then even the "brightest" will become "dumb" or "sloth-ful"
 after a while because he/she won't be able to profit by the education.
 With "dumb" and "sloth-ful" I mean regarding to the teachers opinion, maybe
 the student  find it better to study at home insted of wasting time while
 visiting useless classes.