[comp.edu] Why American students are poorly educated

cik@l.cc.purdue.edu (Herman Rubin) (01/19/89)

In article <efs.558soC1010kfWhQ@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com>, johnm@uts.amdahl.com (John Murray) writes:
> In article <14.UUL1.3#913@acw.UUCP>, scott@acw.UUCP (Scott Guthery) writes:

> If unions and public schools are to blame, then how come kids in other
> countries seem to be smarter? The US isn't the only nation with public
> schools and teachers' unions.

The United States is one of the few countries where the scholars have no
say in the school system.  About 50 years ago, the schools of education
came up with the idea that keeping children with their age group was more
important than having them learn.  Furthermore, it was more important that
different graders give the same grade.  It also became unpopular to admit
that different people could have widely differing abilities.

This effectively precluded having standards.  Since there were no standards,
promotion and tenure became based on seniority and degrees/credits alone.
The schools could not admit that they were bringing in and retaining teachers
who did not, and even could not, understand what they were teaching.  This
system and attitude were introduced by the American schools of education, and
have not spread to the rest of the world.

>                                            Why blame teachers and unions
> for a system which allows kids to leave school without sitting some
> standard national or state-wide exams? If every local school district gets
> to set its own curriculum and rules, then of course some kids are going
> to be short-changed. No school or teacher wants to seem incompetent, and
> hance they'll "grade on a curve", so to speak. Centralize the curriculum,
> exams, grading, and so on, and then see who's good and bad.

One problem of doing this is that things get too rigid.  We need experimenta-
tion; we should not be so arrogant as to assume we know how to teach a given
subject.

As for standardizing exams and grading, that is where some of the problem lies.
How are you going to do this without "objective" exams?  Students have been
marked wrong for using the equation "y = x + 2" instead of "y = 2 + x".  I
do not even want to give any hints as to the possible answers.  Objective tests
MAY be OK for manipulations, but not for understanding.

And we have the situation NOW that in many subjects, a substantial majority of
the teachers are incompetent in their knowledge of the subject.  This is not
going to be corrected in the next 5 years no matter what we do.

Phone: (317)494-6054
hrubin@l.cc.purdue.edu (Internet, bitnet, UUCP)

johnm@uts.amdahl.com (John Murray) (01/19/89)

In article <1101@l.cc.purdue.edu>, cik@l.cc.purdue.edu (Herman Rubin) writes:
> In article <efs.558soC1010kfWhQ@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com>, johnm@uts.amdahl.com (John Murray) writes:
> >
> >                                            Why blame teachers and unions
> > for a system which allows kids to leave school without sitting some
> > standard national or state-wide exams?    . . . .
> >                                 . . . .Centralize the curriculum,
> > exams, grading, and so on, and then see who's good and bad.
>
> One problem of doing this is that things get too rigid.  We need experimenta-
> tion; we should not be so arrogant as to assume we know how to teach a given
> subject.

I think we need to differentiate between WHAT to teach and HOW to teach.
Without a centralized curriculum, we're expecting teachers to define the
range of material to be covered, as well as knowing the material itself -
and how to put it across. No wonder there's so much variation among what
high school graduates know (or don't know).

> As for standardizing exams and grading, that is where some of the problem lies.
> How are you going to do this without "objective" exams?  Students have been
> marked wrong for using the equation "y = x + 2" instead of "y = 2 + x".  I
> do not even want to give any hints as to the possible answers.  Objective tests
> MAY be OK for manipulations, but not for understanding.

I guess I don't understand the term "objective" here. Obviously we're not
talking about idiotic blacken-the-boxes quizzes like the SAT. In other
educational systems, a person might have to pass a set of national closed-
book exams in several subjects in order to be considered for college. Such
exams can involve various essays, literary translations and reviews, and
other written discussions, as well as answers to factual questions. Many
countries also require oral exams in languages.

Naturally, the grading for national exams of this type is done manually
(according to some set of guidelines). Since the grading and cross-
checking is done by teachers of the given subject, usually during the
summer break, it may be assumed that they're somewhat familiar with the
(standard) curriculum material being examined. It goes without saying that
the students are identified only by a number in all of this process, and
that appropriate recount and appeal mechanisms are provided.

> And we have the situation NOW that in many subjects, a substantial majority of
> the teachers are incompetent in their knowledge of the subject.

I don't see how this statement can be made, in the absence of some
standard definition of the material which the "subject" is supposed
to cover. If however, the statement IS true, surely the curriculum
definition phase comes before the "catch-up-the-teachers" phase.

- John Murray, Amdahl Corp. (My own opinions, etc.)

gds@spam.istc.sri.com (Greg Skinner) (01/20/89)

In article <f0Q203decK1010MGm9Q@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> johnm@uts.amdahl.com (John Murray) writes:
>In other
>educational systems, a person might have to pass a set of national closed-
>book exams in several subjects in order to be considered for college. Such
>exams can involve various essays, literary translations and reviews, and
>other written discussions, as well as answers to factual questions. Many
>countries also require oral exams in languages.

The New York State Board of Regents has exams of this sort.  Every
student is required to pass an exam at the end of a course or a
course sequence.  Passing of all of these exams is required for your
high school diploma.

When I was in high school, the exams were in earth science (geology
and meteorology combined), physics, chemistry, biology, 3 years of
math, english, American history, and foreign languages.  Some of the
exams were totally multiple choice, while others also required filling
in of blanks and essay questions.

These exams were only a partial solution to the problems of
standardized education in New York State.  It had been discovered that
people were getting into New York State colleges with less than
twelfth grade reading levels.  Also, some of the exams can be passed
without good knowledge of the subject.  (If you were good at
manipulating equations, you could pass the physics exam without
knowing too much physics because the equations were provided to you.)

--gregbo

p.s.  I do not know the current state of the Regents exams.  When I
was back in NYC, I took a look at some of the review books.  It
appears they have revised the high school mathematics curricula
somewhat, as there are more questions about probability, logic, and
sets, and less involving algebraic manipulation.  I think I recall my
aunt telling me though that some students are given different "tracks"
in high school, which might not require them to take some Regents
exams, but I don't remember everything she said about it.