[comp.edu] Textbook prices revisited

johnm@uts.amdahl.com (John Murray) (01/19/89)

Some time ago on this newsgroup, the (high) price of textbooks was the
subject of considerable discussion. Reference was made to the difference
in price between US editions and the corresponding versions which are on
sale elsewhere on the planet. I recently had an opportunity to check this.

Here are typical price comparisons, made at the current (low) US dollar
exchange rates. The foreign prices were obtained in college bookstores
in Europe, where sales tax is already included in the price (or else
there is no sales tax on books). Thus, the foreign prices are net. The
US prices were obtained at Stanford University bookstore, and sales tax
still has to be added where needed. The exchange rates and sales tax
variations only serve to make the actual price differences even greater.

Author(s)                  Title                   Prices:  US    Foreign
---------                  -----                   ----------------------
Ano, Sethi & Ullman        Compilers                $46.00+tax   $28.50net
Charniak & McDermott       Intro. to AI             $41.00+tax   $27.00net
Sanders & McCormick        Human Factors in Eng     $50.00+tax   $25.00net

The "International" editions are identical to the US editions and are
usually published by the same company (McGraw-Hill, Addison Wesley,
etc.). They are frequently printed somewhere in the Far East, and are
often softcover, even though the US version may be hardback and printed
on heavier paper. Typically they carry some small print warning about
not re-exporting them from the country of original consignment.

Perhaps someone on this newsgroup who has published a text book might be
able to explain the differential, or at least ask their publisher about
it. All the talk about bookstore margins and mailing costs doesn't count,
as far as I can see. I don't know what the situation is with regard to
royalties on foreign sales; the countries where international editions are
printed and sold certainly are signatories to copyright treaties.

It seems to me that US text book publishers run an import cartel, whereby
no book can be imported unless they've already decided not to publish a
US edition. So much for free trade, fair competition, and freedom of
information!!

- John Murray (My own opinions, not necessarily endorsed by my employer).

tarvaine@tukki.jyu.fi (Tapani Tarvainen) (01/20/89)

[I guess I should redirect followup, but I've no idea where,
especially as I don't get any of the talk.groups.]

In article <f0i=13eKxp10109JoYo@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> johnm@uts.amdahl.com (John Murray) writes:
[...]
>It seems to me that US text book publishers run an import cartel, whereby
>no book can be imported unless they've already decided not to publish a
>US edition. So much for free trade, fair competition, and freedom of
>information!!

I recently read about an incident in the USA (some 60 years ago,
so this isn't exactly up to date information, but old laws don't die...)
involving a law according to which any English-language book,
published anywhere in the world, will lose its copyright if
a separate US edition isn't published within 6 months.
I understood it was intended to protect US publishers.
Does anybody know about this: was there ever such a law,
when was it repealed or is it still in force, etc.

(For the curious, the incident referred to was this:
Whey Joyce's Ulysses was first brought to the USA, it was seized
by the customs as obscene.  This was later overruled in court,
but by that time 6 months had passed, and there were any number
of unauthorized editions around, claiming the copyright had lapsed
because of the 6 month rule.)

Tapani Tarvainen                 BitNet:    tarvainen@finjyu
Internet:  tarvainen@jylk.jyu.fi  -- OR --  tarvaine@tukki.jyu.fi